Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times

Advertisements

BTW, Brecksville is very close to nature. It sits right next to Cuyahoga Nat'l Park. Great walking/bike trails, and great scenery. Lots of new construction, not far from downtown Cleveland.

Brecksville home page

Brecksville, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 PM

302 posts, read 1,100,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post

Check out Rocky River, Avon Lake, Westlake, Olmsted Falls for the western suburbs. Brecksville, Solon, Seven Hills, Sagamore Hills, Shaker Heights, Mayfield Heights and Beachwood.

Cleveland is a great city that offers quite a bit of nice suburbs. Best of luck in the move!
Brecksville, and Seven Hills would be West Side Suburbs. While Brecksville is on the border, its still West Side, while Seven Hills is not even touching the border of the East Side.

Brecksville while looking nice, with the parks right next door, has some big issues . Namely that the city is really really snooty. There is this we're better than everyone else feeling around the town. A big portion of the police are to put it blankly, jerks. The school system while rated excellent is a bit overrated , its pretty driven by money and connections, so there are many things that have happened and continue to happen that get swept under the rug.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 PM

13 posts, read 33,566 times
Donna

My husband is in the pharma biz and we would be moving so he could take over a portion of the midwest territory. I have 3 little ones and we do have family in Youngstown and Columbus. This is so helpful thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
You might be surprised to find out that many people in NE OH are as healthy nutty as you or even more. In addition to what's been recommended already, I strongly recommend Mustard Seed Market, which is a comprehensive organic food market in Solon as well as Montrose. In addition to be a full-fledged organic store, there is also a restaurant inside, banquet rooms, and cooking school. You will be happy to note that there are two Trader Joe's as well in the area.

May I ask what prompted your move back to NE OH? My husband and I lived briefly in OC in the early 80's. We moved back here to be with family as we were expecting at the time. Wishing you the best.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 PM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Ditto on the Mustard Seed recommendation! We were regular visitors of the one in Solon and I miss it dearly. It surpassed any of the similar places I've shopped in other cities like Chicago.

My recs for towns would be Hudson or Chagrin Falls on the east side, or possibly Bay Village on the west (giving you access to a nice family friendly beach that won't quite match your CA beaches, but might at least satisfy your need for water!).

Libraries in most of the middle-to-upper class suburbs are very well funded and offer great services.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:50 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacostacindy2 View Post
Donna

My husband is in the pharma biz and we would be moving so he could take over a portion of the midwest territory. I have 3 little ones and we do have family in Youngstown and Columbus. This is so helpful thank you!
Wishing you a happy and safe move back.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times
I never got that vibe while in Brecksville, and I know many others from Brecksville that have money, but are very nice people. Brecksville has some great scenery, and is right on the border of the park. Great walking and bikings trails, and some great waterfalls in the area.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 PM

can anyone recommend a preschool in the Shaker Heights/Beachwood/Solon or Hudson areas?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
I highly recommend the Jewish Community Center in Solon (if you're ok with the Jewish aspect). Also, try the Heights Parent Center Welcome to Heights Parent Center or the Shaker Family Center Shaker Family Center educating, serving, and nuturing young minds of all abilities for acces to some good local family resources for the Beachwood and Shaker areas.

In Hudson, check out hudsonpreschoolparents (broken link) - I know there are a few local programs that get high recommendations there.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 12,194 times
Hi, welcome to Cleveland. I lived in Beachwood with my husband and son. If you like music, Cleveland Orchestra and their summer concert for Blossom and July 4th are awesome. Beachwood has a new community aquatic swimming center your kids will enjoy. Also, good school systems in Beachwood. We enjoyed the library very much by walking there after dinner. We moved because of my husband's job to Australia. Our house is available to buy or rent. The beautiful backyard and the size is perfect for a family with kids. Let me know if you are interested. Shaker has lots of to explore and it's very close to Beachwood.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 PM

I don't know what our situation will be or when we will arrive to actually live in Cleveland. I will contact you when I know more...not sure if we will rent or sell our house here and stay until that happens and then go buy in Cleveland...there is a lot to consider! I bet you are having a ball in Australia.

thanks - lacostacindy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeunderSky View Post
Hi, welcome to Cleveland. I lived in Beachwood with my husband and son. If you like music, Cleveland Orchestra and their summer concert for Blossom and July 4th are awesome. Beachwood has a new community aquatic swimming center your kids will enjoy. Also, good school systems in Beachwood. We enjoyed the library very much by walking there after dinner. We moved because of my husband's job to Australia. Our house is available to buy or rent. The beautiful backyard and the size is perfect for a family with kids. Let me know if you are interested. Shaker has lots of to explore and it's very close to Beachwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland