Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:45 PM

387 posts, read 491,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I'm not saying that the approach taken with some of the curriculum isn't flawed. I would say that, out of the 50 or so semester courses I had to take to obtain a BSEE with a CS minor, a solid 10 were irrelevant. I would also say that the curriculum involved in 20 out of the remaining 40 would likely never be learned outside of the classroom.

A liberal arts education is fine, if that's what you're into. I just don't believe that most who go that route have any real idea of why they're doing it -- and I'm not just singling out liberal arts degrees. I have a cousin who has a degree in biology. 10 years removed from college and she still can't justify the course of study.
Will as you know you could get a degree for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Why would you?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that the approach taken with some of the curriculum isn't flawed. I would say that, out of the 50 or so semester courses I had to take to obtain a BSEE with a CS minor, a solid 10 were irrelevant. I would also say that the curriculum involved in 20 out of the remaining 40 would likely never be learned outside of the classroom.

A liberal arts education is fine, if that's what you're into. I just don't believe that most who go that route have any real idea of why they're doing it -- and I'm not just singling out liberal arts degrees. I have a cousin who has a degree in biology. 10 years removed from college and she still can't justify the course of study.
In addition to college not being necessary for many/most people, I also think that many/most people don't really want to be there in the first place, they just do it because that's what you're supposed to do.

Biology is easily the most useless scientific subject to study in terms of career prospects.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:18 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Biology is easily the most useless scientific subject to study in terms of career prospects.

By "useless," do you mean job prospects and the economic utility of the degree?

Many medical fields and other jobs, including in the food processing and pharma industries, require biology training. Many biology majors pursue further training to qualify for jobs in the medical and other industries.

The problem in many technical fields, including accounting, is that many employers want graduates with good grades and demonstrated knowledge of the field. Sadly, some persons graduate with degrees but, lacking demonstrated competence, aren't of interest to many employers.

E.g., my hunch is that physics majors, and especially astrophysics majors, have fewer jobs prospects than biology majors. And then there is paleontology.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

By "useless," do you mean job prospects and the economic utility of the degree?

Many medical fields and other jobs, including in the food processing and pharma industries, require biology training. Many biology majors pursue further training to qualify for jobs in the medical and other industries.

The problem in many technical fields, including accounting, is that many employers want graduates with good grades and demonstrated knowledge of the field. Sadly, some persons graduate with degrees but, lacking demonstrated competence, aren't of interest to many employers.

E.g., my hunch is that physics majors, and especially astrophysics majors, have fewer jobs prospects than biology majors. And then there is paleontology.
It's very well known that Biology degrees on average yield the smallest STEM salaries. Physics is also not all that great. The fact that some people make big money after studying biology (and then going to med school, perhaps) doesn't change anything. Some women are taller than some men too.

https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/stem-...higher-salary/

What's Your Science Degree Worth? | Science | AAAS

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rrated/279931/

STEM Majors Earn A Lot More Money After Graduation - Business Insider

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-n...ake-big-bucks/

I'm not saying nobody should study biology. I'm just pointing out that it's the STEM major of lowest reward.
IMO the post you responded to was thoroughly uncontroversial.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 10-24-2017 at 07:55 AM..

Old 10-24-2017, 11:45 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
It's very well known that Biology degrees on average yield the smallest STEM salaries. Physics is also not all that great. The fact that some people make big money after studying biology (and then going to med school, perhaps) doesn't change anything. Some women are taller than some men too.

https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/stem-...higher-salary/

What's Your Science Degree Worth? | Science | AAAS

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rrated/279931/

STEM Majors Earn A Lot More Money After Graduation - Business Insider

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-n...ake-big-bucks/

I'm not saying nobody should study biology. I'm just pointing out that it's the STEM major of lowest reward.
IMO the post you responded to was thoroughly uncontroversial.
In many STEM fields, higher salaries are available only after earning graduate degrees, and you can't earn the graduate degrees without taking the undergraduate classes.

<< According to their data, only 51 percent of students who enrolled in medical school in 2012 majored in biological sciences....

Majoring in the biological sciences is desirable because not only is it interesting, it is also very convenient since most biological science majors have already incorporated all the medical school prerequisites.>>

https://www.usnews.com/education/blo...medical-school

Old 10-24-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
In addition to college not being necessary for many/most people, I also think that many/most people don't really want to be there in the first place, they just do it because that's what you're supposed to do.
Without question. Too many also believe their degree is a ticket to a good salary which is usually not the case. It might be a ticket in the door somewhere, but you still have to prove your worth.

Quote:
As a BS, I'd tend to agree. It's far too general. Similar to something like PoliSci or English, you have to follow it up with a specialization. Of course, this means more schooling.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
In many STEM fields, higher salaries are available only after earning graduate degrees, and you can't earn the graduate degrees without taking the undergraduate classes.

<< According to their data, only 51 percent of students who enrolled in medical school in 2012 majored in biological sciences....

Majoring in the biological sciences is desirable because not only is it interesting, it is also very convenient since most biological science majors have already incorporated all the medical school prerequisites.>>

https://www.usnews.com/education/blo...medical-school
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the point. Medical school expense and completion is an ocean away from a biology undergrad. The biology degree is essentially a prerequisite to something else entirely. It is not worth much on its own whereas an engineering or computer science degree usually is.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM

387 posts, read 491,066 times
Quote:
Why would you?
Read all the replies below.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the point. Medical school expense and completion is an ocean away from a biology undergrad. The biology degree is essentially a prerequisite to something else entirely. It is not worth much on its own whereas an engineering or computer science degree usually is.
This was the point (of course, clearly). Thanks for your understanding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: