Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:25 PM

254 posts, read 305,045 times

Advertisements

I hate to be that person who sees two incidents as some sort of pattern, but twice in the last 2 months I've almost been obliterated by people flying through red lights in Cleveland. And I'm not talking about people squeaking through a light just as it turns red... I mean lights where it was green in my direction for 10+ seconds, and as I went through the intersection, I barely missed getting absolutely creamed by people just blatantly, unrepentantly careening through a red light at a high rate of speed. The locations:

W. 14th and Starkweather (Tremont)
Berea and Madison (west side, technically Cudell I guess)

Is this common? This isn't something people do intentionally, is it?

Be careful at the intersections, folks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:19 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,099,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
I hate to be that person who sees two incidents as some sort of pattern, but twice in the last 2 months I've almost been obliterated by people flying through red lights in Cleveland. And I'm not talking about people squeaking through a light just as it turns red... I mean lights where it was green in my direction for 10+ seconds, and as I went through the intersection, I barely missed getting absolutely creamed by people just blatantly, unrepentantly careening through a red light at a high rate of speed. The locations:

Ghetto drivers. Many people in the inner city don't drive well, or they're trying to gtfo after buying or selling drugs.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,346,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post

This can happen anywhere, especially given the level of distracted driving these days with texting, etc.

Driving at times of day when persons are leaving bars or are tired also raises the probability of persons crashing stop lights or stop signs.

Cleveland and other communities were beginning to reduce the problem by using red light cameras, but the Ohio legislature has effectively banned them.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:56 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,181,606 times
Why I love red light cameras.
It's really helped at the intersection I use the most.
I still wait before I go...

Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,139,407 times
Here's a twist... Last year my wife and son were stopped at a red light. When it turned green, they entered the intersection. They were T-Boned by a Mustang- right into the sliding door on our van. Luckily, not the driver door! Car was "a total loss." The driver asked if there were OK and said, "Sorry."

It gets better..

My son, 15, began to have panic attacks for about 2 months. Both had severe whiplash..

Wait for it..

Insurance went to mediation...

"The other driver was found NOT at fault because you failed to yield." Thus, because he ran a light and my wife never saw him, she was blamed.

Our insurance, Traveler's, treated us like crap. We switched due to their absolutely hideous comments directed to me..."Sir, we assume our customers have some degree of common sense." Even my buddy, an insurance broker, was astonished and could not get them to return HIS calls. He does not sell Traveler's anymore.

Moral: You can run a red light and not be held responsible.

Oh, they sent us a check for the "value" of the van because they would not pay to have it fixed.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:59 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,346,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Here's a twist... Last year my wife and son were stopped at a red light. When it turned green, they entered the intersection. They were T-Boned by a Mustang- right into the sliding door on our van. Luckily, not the driver door! Car was "a total loss." The driver asked if there were OK and said, "Sorry."

It gets better..

My son, 15, began to have panic attacks for about 2 months. Both had severe whiplash..

Wait for it..

Insurance went to mediation...

"The other driver was found NOT at fault because you failed to yield." Thus, because he ran a light and my wife never saw him, she was blamed.

Our insurance, Traveler's, treated us like crap. We switched due to their absolutely hideous comments directed to me..."Sir, we assume our customers have some degree of common sense." Even my buddy, an insurance broker, was astonished and could not get them to return HIS calls. He does not sell Traveler's anymore.

Moral: You can run a red light and not be held responsible.

Oh, they sent us a check for the "value" of the van because they would not pay to have it fixed.
I suspect the driver who ran the red light claimed that he did not run the red light. This is why some drivers are putting dash cams into their cars. I remember a similar incident in which I was a witness. The police had assumed it was possible that the stopped driver had jumped a red light as there was a dispute as to what had happened, and the fact that I was an eye witness changed everything.

If it was established in your case that the other driver ran the red light, you should have sued the driver and his insurance company, and possibly Traveler's, depending upon your coverage. You likely would have received big damages.

I now wait at red lights and stop signs until I'm certain all approaching drivers are going to stop. It's saved my neck at least once.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,139,407 times
Very true! I called all the businesses at the large intersection, but none had cameras. This was not in our city- she was on the way back from a quick trip with my son. He denied just about everything that he said to my wife and son. I bet within a few years, every car will have a dash cam as a stock item in most cars. Insurance companies will probably require this.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 AM

96 posts, read 104,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why I love red light cameras.
It's really helped at the intersection I use the most.
I still wait before I go...
Are they still using the red light cameras? Last I heard they shut them off in Cleveland, but that was about a year ago. I'm all for them!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,425,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Ghetto drivers. Many people in the inner city don't drive well, or they're trying to gtfo after buying or selling drugs.
"Ghetto drivers?" So, people don't speed while texting or talking on their phones? Not all people that speed are committing crimes. Bad driving is not limited to neighborhoods.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,099,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
"Ghetto drivers?" So, people don't speed while texting or talking on their phones? Not all people that speed are committing crimes. Bad driving is not limited to neighborhoods.
I realize that, but there are more bad drivers in the inner city. I live on the East Side of Cleveland and drive through East Cleveland all the time. There are a lot of people who don't know how to drive, and probably shouldn't have licenses. I just call it like I see it, sorry if you don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland