Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times

Advertisements

For all of the talk of Berea as a Cleveland-area "college town," I have always sensed a real disconnect between the town of Berea and Baldwin-Wallace (College).
Not only is it not a true college town (like Oberlin or, to a lesser extent, Kent), I would also argue that the disconnect is created by the town itself to distance itself from the college. There is no "strip" of college "hangouts" or students and even faculty (maybe the closest college-centered store might be "The Shoppe"). And there is hardly a slew of Berea places where you can even buy, say, just a BW sweatshirt.
Why?
However, when I lived down the road, I did use their terrific tennis courts...and we would be the only ones using them. In summer, on a gorgeous evening. That in my experience nationally is unheard of. No locals? But hundreds would be at Coe Lake watching a free concert or the movies on the square. And no one from the college seems to attend those, at least not enough or an obvious presence. The feeling just seems mutual. Why?
Not that there needs to be drunken frat boys puking on Front Street at 2 am (I argue that maybe that is a rationale for the disconnect), but has anyone else wondered why there aren't more businesses, activities, merchandise, etc, catering to the college crowd?
There are times on the plaza at Berea where it feels like I'm in, say, Fairview Park and not a so-called "college town." To me, that is indeed a shame.
Has Berea and BW always had this kind of disconnect between a terrific college and the charming town, and especially its business community, who would normally be lusting after college $$$$$? If so, why? (Or maybe the college is the one, distancing itself from the town for some reason(s).
I'm a fan of both (obviously) and to not see more of a relationship between town and college seems silly. Especially when you consider the sports, arts, and music programs and events at BW....what terrific potential for connections. Colleges and "townies" nationwide have often had tensions everywhere, so maybe that is the reason? I grew up near an Indiana college campus and know firsthand how renters and drunks, etc, can impact the view of the school by the locals. So maybe that's part of it.
Anyone else sense any of this? Has it always been like this in Berea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: