Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:45 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

<<Randall Liu, the NFL’s director of football communications, said Wentz is the first rookie quarterback since the AFL/NFL merger in 1970 to start and win his team’s first two games of the season without throwing an interception. Wentz isn’t making the mistakes we see out of a lot of rookie quarterbacks. And he can make a ton of plays, as well.>>

Behind exciting rookie QB and new defense, the Eagles look fantastic

Cody Kessler is up next for the Browns, IF the Browns' mind-trust concludes he is "ready."

Josh McCown's shoulder injury believed to be serious; Cody Kessler says he's ready, but Browns will explore options | cleveland.com

At least Corey Coleman, drafted by the Browns after swapping first round picks with the Eagles, appears to be an above average receiver. And if the Browns finish with no victories and the number one draft choice in 2017, Lamar Jackson perhaps will be better in the NFL than Carson Wentz. How ugly will it be in the meantime at First Energy Field with likely the worst QB in the NFL?

Heisman Survey: Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson way out front

Once RGIII is healthy, will the Browns want to risk their top draft choice slot, paid for with anguishing losses, by giving him another chance? Perhaps so if the other participants in the race to the bottom have a few losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,239,063 times
They made a huge mistake not drafting Wentz...he's a real NFL QB...just like they made a huge mistake not taking Ben Rothlesberger...new management, same horrible decision making.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:23 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,880 times
So assuming the Browns do the right thing and tank the rest of the season and get the first pick for next year, do they pick a QB at #1? If yes, then who? Watson or the kid Kizer from ND? Do they trade the #1 for more picks? I liked their draft this year, and I hope they stay smart again next year to continue to rebuild. I guess we need more time on seeing how Kessler does no?

Old 10-12-2016, 07:42 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
If the browns have the #1 pick in 2017 I think they should draft Myles Garrett, who looks like a stud defender and is the top prospect in the draft.

Personally I think the browns should defer to 2018 before looking at a QB at the top of the draft. There are no QBs that are looking worthy of a high 1st in this draft and the browns need to build talent. The talking heads all seem to think 2018 will be a better QB class anyway, but who knows. They'll also have the Eagles 1st round pick, which is looking like a mid to late round pick, to use on a QB but I still would rather see them wait.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:04 AM

538 posts, read 658,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
If the browns have the #1 pick in 2017 I think they should draft Myles Garrett, who looks like a stud defender and is the top prospect in the draft.

Personally I think the browns should defer to 2018 before looking at a QB at the top of the draft. There are no QBs that are looking worthy of a high 1st in this draft and the browns need to build talent. The talking heads all seem to think 2018 will be a better QB class anyway, but who knows. They'll also have the Eagles 1st round pick, which is looking like a mid to late round pick, to use on a QB but I still would rather see them wait.
Who is worth a look at QB in 2018? Josh Rosen? Patrick Mahomes? That is pretty much it IMO in terms of QBs worthy of a top selection.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Who is worth a look at QB in 2018? Josh Rosen? Patrick Mahomes? That is pretty much it IMO in terms of QBs worthy of a top selection.
Rosen, Falk, Trubisky, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph, Rypien, and Browning are some of the names that get thrown around for 2018. I'm skeptical of Mahomes (bad mechanics / air raid offense).

For 2017 it looks like the best prospect is Kizer at this point, but he still looks kind of raw and I think he should not come out until 2018 (he may need to pull a Goff and sit for a while). When I have watched him play he has not blown me away and does not look like a high 1st rounder to me. He does check all the boxes though and seems like good kid.

After Kizer there are a group of guys that I think are borderline 1st rounders; like Watson (athletic but does not look like a pro QB to me), Kaaya (underwhelming but looks the part), or Kelly (great arm talent but poor character).

I'm sure that I'm missing some people too. However, you never really know until right up to the draft (look how Wentz moved up the board last year).

Old 10-12-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Rosen, Falk, Trubisky, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph, Rypien, and Browning are some of the names that get thrown around for 2018. I'm skeptical of Mahomes (bad mechanics / air raid offense).

For 2017 it looks like the best prospect is Kizer at this point, but he still looks kind of raw and I think he should not come out until 2018 (he may need to pull a Goff and sit for a while). When I have watched him play he has not blown me away and does not look like a high 1st rounder to me. He does check all the boxes though and seems like good kid.

After Kizer there are a group of guys that I think are borderline 1st rounders; like Watson (athletic but does not look like a pro QB to me), Kaaya (underwhelming but looks the part), or Kelly (great arm talent but poor character).

I'm sure that I'm missing some people too. However, you never really know until right up to the draft (look how Wentz moved up the board last year).
You seem to know your prospects well. What do you think of Davis Webb as a fit for the Browns? Similar to Mahomes?

Also, my 2 favorite teams are Ole Miss and Texas Tech so I know all about Mahomes and Kelly.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
You seem to know your prospects well. What do you think of Davis Webb as a fit for the Browns? Similar to Mahomes?

Also, my 2 favorite teams are Ole Miss and Texas Tech so I know all about Mahomes and Kelly.
Yeah, I see Webb as a project guy in taken in round 3 or later (same as Mahomes).

So how do you think Kelly will fair in the pros? He may have the best arm in the draft and can pull off some Farve type throws. The Browns should not go anywhere near him though due to character concerns (doubt it would even be considered after Manziel). I think he could do well if he sat behind a veteran for a while though. Maybe a good pick for a team like Pittsburgh or New Orleans?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I see Webb as a project guy in taken in round 3 or later (same as Mahomes).

So how do you think Kelly will fair in the pros? He may have the best arm in the draft and can pull off some Farve type throws. The Browns should not go anywhere near him though due to character concerns (doubt it would even be considered after Manziel). I think he could do well if he sat behind a veteran for a while though. Maybe a good pick for a team like Pittsburgh or New Orleans?
I agree with your assessment. His upside is higher than anybody in the draft IMO, and IF, IF he fully develops he could be like Aaron Rodgers with his playing style. However, he still makes alot of risky decisions, and benefits from having an elite WR corps. Also, obviously his off the field concerns are sky-high and the most recent incident up in Buffalo doesn't help things.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:16 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Default Dak Prescott

Even accounting for the difference in running backs, offensive line, etc., the Cowboys' Dak Prescott, taken in the fourth round of the 2016 draft with the 135th pick, looks much more capable than Cody Kessler, taken by the Browns in the third round with the 93rd pick. Prescott may have been the biggest "steal" of the draft. Prescott is a beautiful passer.

NFL Total Quarterback Rating - National Football League - ESPN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_N...e=1&p=43901439

<<In week 6 of the 2016 season, Prescott with 176 attempts broke the record for most consecutive pass attempts without an interception to start a career; a record previously held by Tom Brady at 162 attempts in 2000-2001. This is also the record for consecutive attempts without an interception by a rookie, having broken the record set by Carson Wentz at 134 earlier in 2016. Wentz and Prescott had been exchanging the rookie record after having broken the Chad Hutchinson record of 95 set in 2002.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dak_Prescott

Reading about Prescott's great career at Mississippi State, if I were the Haslams, I would want to break down the Browns' analysis of Prescott vs. Kessler, and why Kessler was rated so much higher by the Browns staff than Prescott. This decision process must be improved greatly with the Browns likely in the hunt once again for a QB in the 2017 draft, likely with a very high first round draft pick.

Perhaps a DUI by Prescott, and the Browns' obsession with character after the Manziel bust, solely was responsible for the Browns' failure to draft Prescott. If Prescott's character was an issue fine, but the Haslams should ascertain whether the Browns staff rated Kessler's QB skills as higher than those of Prescott.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hu...-cody-kessler/

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...r-draft-110316

Hopefully, with its staff in place for an entire year, the Browns' 2017 draft will be much better.

Last edited by WRnative; 11-06-2016 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: