Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 04:04 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times

Advertisements

Fun read, but Tremont and Ohio City have distinct characters IMO, especially with the more large-scale developments in Ohio City's Market District.

Why I Moved to Northeast Ohio and Why You Should Too | City Guide 2016 | Cleveland Scene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 10:43 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Most transplants to Cleveland I know think pretty much the same thing: surprised that it's an actual place, then feeling really stupid for ever thinking that it wasn't. Especially for people closing in on, say, 30 years of age, Cleveland gets more and more appealing due to the cost of living, as the author of the article mentioned. I doubt I could afford a house within 20 miles of Boston. I could definitely afford a nice house in Cleveland though.

She lost me with the Ohio City-Tremont thing. Tremont is pretty cut off from Ohio City, and the roads are way more confusing. Different architecture. Tremont was mostly a steelworker neighborhood, nothing overly fancy. Ohio City used to be the wealthy area. You can see this in the homes, some have beautiful ornamentation. And of course, there is just no equivalent of W. 25 in Tremont, which is definitely the main defining block of Ohio City.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Cleveland still has a really negative image on a national level. It's getting better but the reactions are usually negative. Of the two cities, Chicago and Cleveland, I much prefer Cleveland. Despite cost of living, ease of getting around etc. in Cleveland, Chicago can have a really ''haughty'' attitude, while its lakefront and stuff is nice, its still in the Prairie State.

The whole ''cool city'' thing is annoying; as soon as you find yourself in a city labeled ''cool'', it's no longer cool.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Cleveland still has a really negative image on a national level. It's getting better but the reactions are usually negative. Of the two cities, Chicago and Cleveland, I much prefer Cleveland. Despite cost of living, ease of getting around etc. in Cleveland, Chicago can have a really ''haughty'' attitude, while its lakefront and stuff is nice, its still in the Prairie State.

The whole ''cool city'' thing is annoying; as soon as you find yourself in a city labeled ''cool'', it's no longer cool.
This is true. Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe today wrote an article about how everyone should be rooting for the Cavs in the playoffs (which I agree with). However, he also states as a reason, that you have to support Clevelanders because they lose so much and the downtown is "dismal" and "empty."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...MBN/story.html

National reputation is still struggling.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:05 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is true. Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe today wrote an article about how everyone should be rooting for the Cavs in the playoffs (which I agree with). However, he also states as a reason, that you have to support Clevelanders because they lose so much and the downtown is "dismal" and "empty."

I believe that Shaughnessy similarly bludgeoned downtown Cleveland with similar words last year.

From the above linked column:

<<Cleveland has endured one of the worst half-centuries in American history.... Its downtown is dismal and too often empty.>>

Last year:

Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy rips Cleveland, dislikes confetti | cleveland.com

Shaughnessy's comments are in contrast to those of others:

Exploring Cleveland - A City Revitalized (Travel Guide)

Boston writer Dan Shaughnessy misses mark about Cleveland - Cavs - Ohio

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

While it's accurate to argue that Cleveland has endured a bad half century, downtown Cleveland's amenities dwarf those of 40-50 years ago. Obviously, someone patronizes downtown establishments, or Gateway/East 4th, the Warehouse District and the East Flats, to say nothing of PlayhouseSquare (and its annual million plus visitors) would not exist, and they did not exist a half century ago. Sportswriters like Shaughnessy too often assume an expert knowledge and make sweeping statements that are blatantly inaccurate.

Shaughnessy's problem, apart from being likely a Boston native, who likely aggrandize their egos in self-preservation from the constant negative comparisons with NYC, is that, as an NBA scribe, he only visits Cleveland during the winter/early spring months. During that half year, Clevelanders spend time indoors. I wonder how often he's set foot in the Market District during his visits.

Of course, downtown is very different from mid-May to mid-October.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:11 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,144 times
Quote:

I can't stand Dan Shaughnessy, he represents everything about the mentality of Boston fans and media and their views of cities outside of the East Coast. Egoistical, arrogant, entitled. And, they think any city beyond the Atlantic Ocean is the sticks, all the citizens are hicks and it's not a picturesque as the city they live in. I read that b******t article he wrote all it was doing was giving Cleveland backhanded complements. One person in the article and talked about how racist Cleveland is, but Boston has a huge history of racism. Boston isn't gonna root for the Cavs in the playoffs for two reasons. One, their Celtics are out of the playoffs, and two, they hate Cleveland. Also, they love to put down Cleveland to make themselves feel better about living in "the great city of Boston."

Old 05-13-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I can't stand Dan Shaughnessy, he represents everything about the mentality of Boston fans and media and their views of cities outside of the East Coast. Egoistical, arrogant, entitled. And, they think any city beyond the Atlantic Ocean is the sticks, all the citizens are hicks and it's not a picturesque as the city they live in. I read that b******t article he wrote all it was doing was giving Cleveland backhanded complements. One person in the article and talked about how racist Cleveland is, but Boston has a huge history of racism. Boston isn't gonna root for the Cavs in the playoffs for two reasons. One, their Celtics are out of the playoffs, and two, they hate Cleveland. Also, they love to put down Cleveland to make themselves feel better about living in "the great city of Boston."
Boston went hard for the Golden State Warriors last year. If you come to Fenway park for a Red Sox game, every single day, you'll find "LeBron is a b****" t shirts for sale outside on the street. It doesn't make any sense.

Most Bostonians do think the rest of the country that isn't coastal is beyond reprieve. However, a lot of Boston sports fans also hate Shaughnessy. He is usually quite negative about local teams (but never calls Boston's downtown "dismal" or anything like that).

Old 05-13-2016, 09:54 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,144 times
Quote:
Boston went hard for the Golden State Warriors last year. If you come to Fenway park for a Red Sox game, every single day, you'll find "LeBron is a b****" t shirts for sale outside on the street. It doesn't make any sense.

Most Bostonians do think the rest of the country that isn't coastal is beyond reprieve. However, a lot of Boston sports fans also hate Shaughnessy. He is usually quite negative about local teams (but never calls Boston's downtown "dismal" or anything like that).

That's my point when the Celtics were in The Finals 2008 or 2010, Cavs fans weren't wearing anti-Celtics T-shirts hoping their team would lose. But, they'll root hard against Cleveland to lose. They were just pissed because LeBron has beaten them the last few times in the playoffs. When they lose, they act like so insecure little brats who didn't get their way. Plus, they're hypocrites if he was playing for the Celtics they would love him, and if they say they wouldn't; I got a bridge and a few empty lots to sell you. Also, Shaughnessy loves the city of Boston but he's negative about the teams; he hates Cleveland as a whole and craps on it every chance he gets just as Boston and most of the East Coast.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:17 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Fun read, but Tremont and Ohio City have distinct characters IMO, especially with the more large-scale developments in Ohio City's Market District.

Why I Moved to Northeast Ohio and Why You Should Too | City Guide 2016 | Cleveland Scene
Interesting article and appreciate her POV. It was a little on the short side, although I understand she's done/is doing, a series about her new Cleveland experiences... I too am confused about her Tremont = Ohio City comment (they're both great neighborhoods but very, very different imho -- they're only close geographically).

My other problem is, geez, does she have to cuss like a friggin' sailor? My God... I'm no prude by any stretch but this chick comes off as being super street hard (and she's the mom of a young child, no less). Is she the prototypical Chicago girl?... Oh well.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Quote:
She lost me with the Ohio City-Tremont thing. Tremont is pretty cut off from Ohio City, and the roads are way more confusing.
VERY confusing. I get lost every time I go to Tremont, but I love the area. It's like a small urban village existing absent a major city... Ohio City, particularly the Market Square area, is more or less a typical trendy big-city neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: