Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:23 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Playhouse Square's largest-in-the-nation Broadway subscription base lures a national tour launch to Cleveland:

'Waitress': New Broadway musical to launch national tour in Cleveland's Playhouse Square in 2017 | cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 10:38 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Great to see Cleveland on the A-list for Broadway theater.

And a message from Sara Bareilles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zplMi2oax4

Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 PM

Default Playhouse Square to launch national tour of "Hello Dolly!" revival

<<The first national tour of the Tony Award-winning revival of "Hello Dolly!" starring Broadway legend Betty Buckley will kick off in Cleveland, Playhouse Square announced today.

The production, set to open October 2, 2018, is the first show in the 2018-19 KeyBank Broadway Series lineup.>>

Playhouse Square launches national tour of Tony-winner 'Hello Dolly!' starring Betty Buckley | cleveland.com

<<This HELLO, DOLLY!, the first new production of the classic musical (based on Thornton Wilder's The Matchmaker) to appear on Broadway since it opened more than fifty years ago, pays tribute to the work of its original director/choreographer Gower Champion, which has been hailed both then and now as one of the greatest stagings in musical theater history.>>

https://www.broadwayworld.com/clevel...ckley-20180212

Old 02-20-2018, 09:55 PM

Default KeyBank Broadway Series subscriber base tops 41,000 for 2017-18 season

Consider that 41,000 seats is beyond the capacity of Progressive Field!

PlayhouseSquare subscriber base tops 41,000 on "Hamilton" wave

Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 PM

Default Videos discuss restorations of Ohio, Palace Theatres

"Playhouse Square: Restoring the Legacy"

Old 03-08-2018, 09:25 AM

Default Rent review

This is a fascinating review of "Rent," now on stage at the Connor Palace, as part of the KeyBank Broadway Series. It's fascinating because it demonstrates the difference between the typical Broadway national tour show in Cleveland and the national tours performances in many other cities.

<<But boy are these young performers – many of them doing their first tour, some having served as Disney and Norwegian cruise line entertainers, and a few still in college and on professional leave – bone-tired and brain-weary.

It may be the result of having to traverse designer Paul Clay’s massive and congested set comprised of scaffolding and a giant collaged sculpture of junk which, quite frankly, dwarfs this intimate story.

But it is probably the result of performing in an exhausting non-Equity road show, made up of mostly one-night stands in different cities. The cast arrived in Cleveland one day after a two-day stay in Fayetteville, AR, with less luxurious travel, less spacious accommodations, and fewer creature comforts in their dressing rooms than those in higher budgeted Equity tours. All this eventually takes its toll and, in the opening Wednesday night performance, it showed.>>

https://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/...bfeb20528.html

PlayhouseSquare, due to its massive subscription base and three-week stands, often receives Equity (unionized) shows during their first-run national tours of major cities. Non-equity performances not only have a lower-paid cast, but also a smaller cast and scaled-down sets and orchestras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actors...ty_Association

Rent is the only non-equity show on the 2017-2018 KeyBank Broadway Series schedule.

actorsequity.org | Actors' Equity News & Media

With their lengthy stay in Cleveland, hopefully the cast of Rent will regain their energy during subsequent performances of the KeyBank Broadway series.

Playhouse Square hosting &#x2018;Rent&#x2019; 20th-anniversary tour

I wonder if the cast received a standing ovation in the Rent performance attended by the reviewer. I can't remember the last time that I attended a PlayhouseSquare Broadway Series performance that didn't receive a standing ovation.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:36 AM

Default 60,000 Hamilton tickets sell out in a single day

<< "Hamilton" is a virtual sellout in Cleveland. Most of about 60,000 tickets made available to the public were sold within hours on Friday for this summer's Broadway Series run at Playhouse Square's KeyBank State Theatre.>>

60,000 Hamilton tickets sell out in hours at Cleveland's Playhouse Square (photos) | cleveland.com

I wonder when "Hamilton" inevitably returns to Cleveland within the next several years, how many weeks will it be here.

Theater in Cleveland now seems to have the heft comparable to individual major pro sports. How many cities can boast of this reality?

Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 AM

372 posts, read 593,167 times
I am thrilled to have been able to obtain Hamilton tix for late August. I did not think it would happen.

Also, I have to agree, that Rent had few standouts among the cast. I was a little disappointed.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:25 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,505 times
Congrats! I just told some moms about Playhouse Sq. being #2 as a theatre district in the U.S., behind NY. One mom gave one of those sounds "hmmph" as if I was making it up. Luckily, another mom who IS from CLE, quickly backed me up. I have only seen two shows, but consider the interior design and architecture to be worth part of my ticket.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I just told some moms about Playhouse Sq. being #2 as a theatre district in the U.S., behind NY.
Playhouse Square claims to be the second largest performing arts center (measured by seats?) in the U.S. after only Lincoln Center in NYC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playhouse_Square

I doubt very much if this equates to having the second largest theater district in the U.S., although this may rely on the definition of "theater district," as some major cities with a much more substantial theater presence than Cleveland may have their theaters more dispersed throughout the city.

For example, while one of the two U.S. touring companies for "Hamilton" will be in Cleveland for six weeks this summer, a dedicated Hamilton company has been in Chicago since September 27, 2016, and the run currently is booking through Sept. 2, 2018. "Hamilton" has had much longer runs in cities such as San Francisco and Los Angeles than is scheduled for Cleveland, but I'm not certain how total seats sold compare between cities.

https://www.theatreinchicago.com/hamilton/8162/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilt...–present)

The CIBC Theatre hosting "Hamilton" in Chicago has a seating capacity of only 1,800, compared to 3,400 at the State Theatre in Cleveland, where "Hamilton" will be presented. Higher seating capacity may not be necessarily a good thing, if seat quality is considered. However, it does make performances in Cleveland very profitable for touring companies and likely permits Playhouse Square to offer lower prices, such as $10 "Smart Seats" offered for many performances less popular than "Hamilton."

Playhouse Square has claimed in the past to have the largest subscription base of any city for Broadway national tour series. It reached over 41,000 seats for the 2018-19 season (see post 4), which includes Hamilton. Obviously, in large cities such as Chicago with "sitdown" Broadway productions such as Hamilton, there isn't as much incentive to buy season tickets, which may include productions for which subscribers have little interest in seeing (Playhouse Square does offer a very useful "swap" option to Broadway Series subscribers which mitigates this concern IMO).

Just don't want you getting in trouble with those moms!

Last edited by WRnative; 04-15-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland