Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Interesting quote from this story:

<<
His was with his friend, Norm Allen, a guest of the Virginia delegation, who is also covering the convention for his TV show, called Out of the Norm.
He was here four years ago for the show, visiting Mama Santa's in Little Italy, the West Side Market and the Christmas Story House, among other landmarks. He fell in love with the city.
"After traveling all over the United States, Cleveland is my favorite city that I've visited," Allen said. "It's the best food city in America, even (better than) New Orleans.">>

Old 08-01-2016, 04:29 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The media is pining for Cleveland now that their in Philly. Philly is proving to be a logistical nightmare given that the arena is in South Philly, not within walking distance of Center City and the area traffic is awful, holding up travel.

Not to mention the distrupting demonstrators, stopping the Broad Street subway yesterday for example, the long lines in 108 degree heat index, the distance between arena and Uber pick-up, etc.

The media center is housed in a large tent near the arena, almost taken out during severe weather yesterday. Crappy Wi-Fi, bad air conditioning, exposed wiring (during large rain events). Not going well for Philly in this respect. I'm not gloating because I like Philly but after Cleveland I thought the disconnect between Center City and Wells Fargo Center might be an issue, but not as bad as is being reported. CNN Grill and E 4th Street are not adjacent to media and VIPs hotels. Not by a long-shot. It's messy in Philly.

Cleveland has indeed set the bar for running this type of event. The same media in Cleveland last week is in Philly this week and they're not thrilled.

Who would ever think the media would be wishing to be back in Cleveland (for anything)?
Not really. I think it was mostly overblown. There were some complaints by certain members of the media who were angry to be stuck in traffic getting out of the stadium (in their Ubers, while the subway glided seemlessly along its tracks beneath them). Apparently some members of the media don't care about their carbon footprint and don't care about supporting public transportation. FTR it shocks me anyone can leave an event in a large stadium without encountering significant traffic, but I digress.

Life went out as normal in Philadelphia during the convention, while I read that in Cleveland life pretty much shut down except for the convention. The generally negative and pessimistic Philadelphia media is reporting that the city shined (shone??) the entire time, and everyone (in the Philadelphia region) knows it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...html?mobi=true

Cleveland's RNC seemed to go off without a hitch, and that's hugely important, because Cleveland is probably around where Philadelphia was in 2000 during that RNC.

Last edited by BPP1999; 08-01-2016 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-01-2016, 11:05 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Not really. I think it was mostly overblown. There were some complaints by certain members of the media who were angry to be stuck in traffic getting out of the stadium (in their Ubers, while the subway glided seemlessly along its tracks beneath them). Apparently some members of the media don't care about their carbon footprint and don't care about supporting public transportation. FTR it shocks me anyone can leave an event in a large stadium without encountering significant traffic, but I digress.

Life went out as normal in Philadelphia during the convention, while I read that in Cleveland life pretty much shut down except for the convention. The generally negative and pessimistic Philadelphia media is reporting that the city shined (shone??) the entire time, and everyone (in the Philadelphia region) knows it.

Philly shines during DNC, and knows it

Cleveland's RNC seemed to go off without a hitch, and that's hugely important, because Cleveland is probably around where Philadelphia was in 2000 during that RNC.
True, the 1st day or 2 saw a lot of griping and the heavy rain events didn't help. The Philly DNC worked out well in the end.

The same media and liberal Democrats used Uber and avoided public transit. I saw a cab drivers' demonstration in front of the Doubletree about Uber while at the same time the convention goers were being dropped off by Uber...so much for the liberal Democrats worrying about the working man when it comes to saving money with Uber....lol...hypocrites.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
True, the 1st day or 2 saw a lot of griping and the heavy rain events didn't help. The Philly DNC worked out well in the end.

The same media and liberal Democrats used Uber and avoided public transit. I saw a cab drivers' demonstration in front of the Doubletree about Uber while at the same time the convention goers were being dropped off by Uber...so much for the liberal Democrats worrying about the working man when it comes to saving money with Uber....lol...hypocrites.
Hypocrites for sure. But also, uber drivers are the working man. They just deliver better service at a lower price and don't use the coercion of the state to be able to charge artificially high prices. As with leftists any time, there are just one set of rules for them, and another for everyone else.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hypocrites for sure. But also, uber drivers are the working man. They just deliver better service at a lower price and don't use the coercion of the state to be able to charge artificially high prices. As with leftists any time, there are just one set of rules for them, and another for everyone else.
Some Uber drivers are the working man but when it comes to their own bucks, the leftists/liberals are going for the low cost, high-end ride. When it's spending others' money or tax dollars, no problem there though.

Working man maybe as I saw an African-American woman dropping a convention goer at the DoubleTree in a Mercedes SUV! Not exactly a ''working man'' vehicle...as ''oppressed minority/racist capitalist system'' marchers passed by...lol.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Some Uber drivers are the working man but when it comes to their own bucks, the leftists/liberals are going for the low cost, high-end ride. When it's spending others' money or tax dollars, no problem there though.

Working man maybe as I saw an African-American woman dropping a convention goer at the DoubleTree in a Mercedes SUV! Not exactly a ''working man'' vehicle...as ''oppressed minority/racist capitalist system'' marchers passed by...lol.
Meh, some people buy these cars in anticipation of working it off, which they will because the market is huge for ride sharing. Keep in mind, black cars existed long before uber. Uber and other similar companies are exactly what the working man needs. I used to work with immigrants all the time, tons of uber drivers in the bunch. They could never have gotten in the taxi industry, even if they wanted to. I've met several drivers who said they've gone on uber in between jobs. One guy said he drives for maybe three hours a week, just to pocket a little extra money to save for his wedding. Free markets are beautiful. Democrats are misguided because they recognize that in their choices and then try to legislate against free markets for everyone else. Republicans do this too, but it's not at quite the same cognitive dissonance level.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:40 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Republicans do this too, but it's not at quite the same cognitive dissonance level.

JobsOhio, billions of dollars of secretive transfers from the working man to Republican cronies. Agricultural subsidies. The pollution of the Maumee River basin by factory farms, impairing a $10 billion western basin tourist industry, threatening water supplies (and raising water treatment costs), and creating dead zones in the lake that are killing fish populations. Zero income tax rates in Ohio for business owners with S corporations while their employees are paying much higher income tax rates and are being socked by a higher sales tax rate, higher real estate taxes, higher muni income tax rates, and impaired public services (down to two fire trucks in Lorain at one point due to cuts by Kasich and the Republicans in the local government funds).

It sickens me that Mentor Headlands beach is posted for toxic algal blooms.

We're not even talking about the immense, costly environmental damage being caused by global climate change, or the Republicans banning public hearings while radioactive fracking waste is being injected at high pressures under Ohio's potable water aquifers.

Ironically, the Democrats aren't wimpish on many of these issues.

BTW, trillions were lost when the Republicans allowed outright speculation and 30-1 leverage at our nation's leading banks. Now, the Republicans want to roll back curbs on speculation and capital ratio requirements, having learned nothing.

Those who use labels such as "leftists" or "conservatives" to filter their political thinking are partisans of the sort that terrified the Founding Fathers. They are weak-minded individuals who can't talk policy objectively IMO.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

JobsOhio, billions of dollars of secretive transfers from the working man to Republican cronies. Agricultural subsidies. The pollution of the Maumee River basin by factory farms, impairing a $10 billion western basin tourist industry, threatening water supplies (and raising water treatment costs), and creating dead zones in the lake that are killing fish populations. Zero income tax rates in Ohio for business owners with S corporations while their employees are paying much higher income tax rates and are being socked by a higher sales tax rate, higher real estate taxes, higher muni income tax rates, and impaired public services (down to two fire trucks in Lorain at one point due to cuts by Kasich and the Republicans in the local government funds).

It sickens me that Mentor Headlands beach is posted for toxic algal blooms.

We're not even talking about the immense, costly environmental damage being caused by global climate change, or the Republicans banning public hearings while radioactive fracking waste is being injected at high pressures under Ohio's potable water aquifers.

Ironically, the Democrats aren't wimpish on many of these issues.

BTW, trillions were lost when the Republicans allowed outright speculation and 30-1 leverage at our nation's leading banks. Now, the Republicans want to roll back curbs on speculation and capital ratio requirements, having learned nothing.

Those who use labels such as "leftists" or "conservatives" to filter their political thinking are partisans of the sort that terrified the Founding Fathers. They are weak-minded individuals who can't talk policy objectively IMO.
Lol feel better?

Democrats actively legislate against uber, then use uber themselves. That's all I'm saying. Pretty good cognitive dissonance.

Seriously relax. What party do you think I am by the way, since I'm so partisan?

I seriously don't think I can post anything remotely political without having tons of things I never said thrown in my face by the super sensitive people of any persuasion. Notice I didn't say leftist, brownie points!!!!

By the way, "weak minded? " that is an insult and personal attack. Whete do you get off calling me weak minded? That is a cowardly comment. I used to value your posts. Now you're just a name caller. Very disappointing. Who do you think you are?

City data is full of nonsense. Thanks for not helping wrnative. Had higher expectations.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Meh, some people buy these cars in anticipation of working it off, which they will because the market is huge for ride sharing. Keep in mind, black cars existed long before uber. Uber and other similar companies are exactly what the working man needs. I used to work with immigrants all the time, tons of uber drivers in the bunch. They could never have gotten in the taxi industry, even if they wanted to. I've met several drivers who said they've gone on uber in between jobs. One guy said he drives for maybe three hours a week, just to pocket a little extra money to save for his wedding. Free markets are beautiful. Democrats are misguided because they recognize that in their choices and then try to legislate against free markets for everyone else. Republicans do this too, but it's not at quite the same cognitive dissonance level.
No one put down Uber drivers, just the hypocritical DNC convention attendees.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
No one put down Uber drivers, just the hypocritical DNC convention attendees.
Just to be clear I guess. I'm getting used to a lot of sub-par posts here and across all city data boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland