Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:29 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,103,226 times

Advertisements

Ohio proposes paying $10 million to help East Cleveland-Cleveland merger | cleveland.com

"As East Cleveland and Cleveland officials mull merging the two cities, state lawmakers could sweeten the deal with $10 million to fix up the inner-ring suburb.

The one-time appropriation would be available only if the two cities agree to merge and could only be used for infrastructure improvements such as roads, bridges and emergency equipment.

The idea is being pitched by Ohio Auditor Dave Yost for inclusion in the state capital budget bill or another off-year budget appropriation bill. Yost has warned East Cleveland's fiscal woes cannot be fixed without merging the city with another or filing for bankruptcy. "

Thoughts on this proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 02:32 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
The city of Cleveland should do it if and only if the State antes up $50M. That's what it will take to demo a lot of the properties and have some left over to fix the streets.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:20 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,550 times
East Cleveland is an absolute mess, but I do believe it is time for big brother to take over; it's the only way to stop the decline...

Old 04-02-2016, 05:27 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
I don't think being part of Cleveland will stop the decline.

For evidence, see basically the entire east side of cleveland.

Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:15 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't think being part of Cleveland will stop the decline.

For evidence, see basically the entire east side of cleveland.

Sounds like a waste of money to me.
Well I mean, they're offering $10 million to sweeten the deal to merge the cities.... That's quite a bit of money for a city that has nothing and is literally crumbling.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:45 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
East Cleveland population is down from 40k to 17k. There's really not much further down you can go. I think if Cleveland could get about $50M out of Columbus, that would go a long way towards demo costs. The short term goal, fix up Euclid between UC and Stokes/Windermere, open the area up to residential development. But the absolute first thing that needs to happen, demolition of abandoned properties.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:10 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
I agree with the people saying we should do it if the state gives us $50 million. There is a lot of potential in EC, between the Red Line rapid, Healthline BRT, areas close to Coventry and University Circle, the Forest Hills neighborhood, and Nela Park, these are all assets that could be built off of. The city has been so mismanaged and corrupt for so many years that it didn't capitalize on these amenities, but I think if Cleveland was running things, it could do a lot more to develop these areas, and more investors and developers would be interested, with the assurance that city services would be decent and consistent, and city management would be competent.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:49 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
EC has lost the ability to govern and police itself. As far as I know (I no longer live there), Cleveland's government is not incompetent although I wonder about the state of the roads. EC would be better off merged into Cleveland.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:31 AM

194 posts, read 191,437 times
What are the yearly ongoing costs for Cleveland to provide services to East Cleveland?

Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,582,510 times
I don't know if many of you drive through or know East Cleveland all that well, but I do and it's beyond repair (barring a massive population surge, which isn't happening anytime soon). Better to unincorporate the city and evacuate current homeowners to Cleveland neighborhoods.

A merger would be a complete waste of Cleveland's already exceptionally strained resources. Perhaps the Forest Hills neighborhood could be annexed to Cleveland Heights along with some of the adjacent areas by University Circle to Cleveland, but for the most part it is a completely lost cause and would add nothing to Cleveland other than a brief population surge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland