Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 09:02 PM

13 posts, read 29,366 times

Advertisements

Hi, I graduated from college and moved to Cleveland about a year ago, but is still having trouble developing my social life here. Want to see if you guys have any advice. Also, I am hoping to find a girlfriend soon, since I am 26 and never had one. But if I can't seems to meet people my age, that seems to be even more impossible...

Some background info, I am an engineer who work in a company where there is a huge age gap. It's either the older generation waiting to retire or those already married with kids. I'm one of the few younger ones that they are hiring now to replace the upcoming retirement wave. Most new hires I met are only really interested in drinking in bars or go clubbing... but that's not really my thing. In addition, needless to say, the few girls in engineering field are pretty much all taken.

So then I try meetups. I tried biking, hiking, volleyball, board game, Japanese, Ukulele, dragon boating, community orchestra at a local university, game dev group, swing dance group... it's better. Most are again with elder male + female members. While with groups with member more around my age are usually all male or the few female being taken.

I also tried going to a Chinese church in downtown, with only 3 or 4 people my age, that really don't help...

I asked around, seems like everyone met their partner since college.

So, I gave online dating a try. Sent out like a hundred messages that I actually put thoughts into writing them. I only got 3 responses, and the longest I got is 3 words... about to give up on that.

I really don't think I am that bad. I am renting an apartment by myself, have a car, have a rather good paying job with awesome benefits, tons of hobbies and interests (outdoor, music, tech, flying...). But I guess if I can't meet people, I can't connect with them.

Most of the younger population probably hang out by the Cleveland State University / University Circle area. But I am no long a student, how do I tap into that social group? And is it really a good idea to mix with that group since I am at a different point in my life already...

I feel like I am really screwed at this point...

If you guys have any suggestions, it would really help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 11:02 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,101,574 times
University Circle has a number of regular single/cultural events, most notably the single's nights at the Art Museum. I'm pretty sure the next-door Cleveland Botanical Garden does as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the newer MOCA in Uptown doesn't have something similar or will soon be doing this in the near future. There are a zillion clubs and activities in this area as well. I've always liked living near college campuses -- especially research U's like Case and CSU -- because they they employ and attract experts from all over the country and world. University Circle is such a cultural hotbed -- and in such an amazingly beautiful setting -- I seriously doubt you couldn't find your niche there.

Nearby Little Italy has a bunch of art galleries, and U. Circle and LI have lots of Asian students and instructors living there. Overall there are lots of smart, outgoing young women throughout the area.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
University Circle has a number of regular single/cultural events, most notably the single's nights at the Art Museum. I'm pretty sure the next-door Cleveland Botanical Garden does as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the newer MOCA in Uptown doesn't have something similar or will soon be doing this in the near future. There are a zillion clubs and activities in this area as well. I've always liked living near college campuses -- especially research U's like Case and CSU -- because they they employ and attract experts from all over the country and world. University Circle is such a cultural hotbed -- and in such an amazingly beautiful setting -- I seriously doubt you couldn't find your niche there.

Nearby Little Italy has a bunch of art galleries, and U. Circle and LI have lots of Asian students and instructors living there. Overall there are lots of smart, outgoing young women throughout the area.
hey, thanks for the response!

I looked into the Cleveland Art Museum, is the event you talked about the monthly MIX happy hour nights?
MIX at CMA | Cleveland Museum of Art

Do you know if there is a website / facebook group that list the groups that do stuffs around university circle or little Italy? Back in college they have club fair, not sure how that work in the real world.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Just a couple sites from a quck web search:

Cleveland Professional Singles | Professional Matchmaking

There's A Dating App For Ivy League Types. Prepare To Cringe. | Huffington Post

Perhaps join a service organization such as Kiwanis or Habitat for Humanity, or even a political party (perhaps even the Green Party, depending upon your values). Joining a political party isn't a bad idea as I believe studies show that sharing political values is an important indicator of successful relationships.

Perhaps find a compatible group here:

https://www.meetup.com/

Such as:

https://www.meetup.com/CP2030/

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:59 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
From experience, you are putting too much pressure on yourself. Keep doing the things you like. From there, it'll happen.

RELAX! Have fun. Wake up and do the things you like doing.

"Says a 47 (today is my bday) year-old teacher with 3 kids."

Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
You and I are basically the same age. Granted, I don't live in Cleveland, but just going to share my personal experience.

The "Artsy" events will skew older. Most women will be at minimum 30. 35-40 is more likely. Just not the best chances.

I don't know for sure, but it seems like you are focused on your "Statistics" and not on actually connecting yourself. Nobody really cares about your car or health insurance, etc. Stability and financial well-being is indeed important, but it's not the top priority (and if it is the top priority for some women, you don't want them; what happens when someone with a nicer car or bigger salary comes around? buh bye).

This may or may not apply to you, but young professional groups at various churches can be solid. Also not sure how much success you'll have at the Chinese churches. There aren't a whole ton of native Chinese in Cleveland (compared to other cities), probably a lot of Chinese people our age are more "American" than "Chinese" so I doubt they're going to the Chinese churches.

The key to meeting people though, is to put yourself in a situation where you have the chance to repeatedly come in contact with the same people. Some kind of weekly or bi-monthly event or volunteering or whatever is what you should be looking for. Also, seriously, don't think about just meeting women or specifically a woman to date. Women smell this a mile away and it comes off to them as "desperate" and this is not what they want. The right goal is to be social, make friends (male and female). A robust social life is the best way to eventually meet someone compatible with you that you could think about dating. But don't put the cart before the horse. If you are from China, I'm sure the dating culture is very different, so I'm just trying to help out.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:33 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Saw a commercial for this website for professional singles.

https://www.elitesingles.com/

Old 09-23-2016, 08:01 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwaa View Post
Also, I am hoping to find a girlfriend soon, since I am 26 and never had one.
You are only 26. You are still young with many years to go. What are you worried about? I know older guys in their 30's still with no girlfriends. Love will come when it's least expected. Besides, you've just arrived at a new city and perhaps most local people still consider you somewhat of an outsider. I do agree with the other posters about joining a club or participating in an activity that you are passionate about. That is a great way to break the ice and let others know who you really are. I won't say no to churches but for a place so solemn, you'd really have to be into Christian oriented activities to want to stick around long. It may be hard if you are not a Christian or are not really that deep into that belief or else you will end up very bored or turned off. Cleveland has a great many themes to follow from rock and roll to Indians baseball to visual arts (especially around the Case Western Reserve campus) to medicine, there has got to be some theme that offers activities for you.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:20 PM

hey guys, thanks for the advice! For the past couple weeks I completely filled up my schedule going out every night trying something new. Focusing more on just meeting more people in general right now. And I guess it kinda work, time go by a lot faster when you are busy haha. Still no luck on girls, but hopefully if I can connect with the Case students body I can get more experience talking to them in general. Too bad college clubs aren't open to public...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland