Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 06:13 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Was researching a condo in Lakewood this week and received the disclosure docs.

Current owner never occupied the condo.
condo has no furnishings and it appears never did from the previous owner- totally vacant.

"Bed Bugs" is listed on the docs. A pest company is working there through Oct. It appears they are doing treatments.

I'm not a bed bug expert, but it would seem they need fabric or something to survive? The floors are not carpeted.

Anyone know if this is a "run while you can" situation?

Thanks- Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 AM

372 posts, read 593,506 times
I believe bed bugs live in the wood of bedframes and can travel from condo to condo. Definitely run while you can. Amazed they disclosed. I have found real estate disclosures to be more of a
"Should do" here rather than a "must do" like in CA.

Definitely run while you can.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:55 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
Thanks! I am meeting with at least one agent a week from Monday. Checking out a few condos in Lakewood, and maybe a duplex.

Arrive Sat morning and depart Monday.

Spirit Air has flights LAX-CLE rt from $105!!!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:04 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Hi all,

Was researching a condo in Lakewood this week and received the disclosure docs.

Current owner never occupied the condo.
condo has no furnishings and it appears never did from the previous owner- totally vacant.

"Bed Bugs" is listed on the docs. A pest company is working there through Oct. It appears they are doing treatments.
Run!

Bedbugs love wood. And it takes a very high heat treatment to kill them, a one-time deal that takes 8 hours per room. If a pest company is working there, they are using chemicals more than likely, and that does not kill them.

That the condo was never lived in after the last purchase says the bedbugs are BAD.

Run!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
How many units in the condo building are occupied? If a large majority, it's unlikely that any bed bug problem is pervasive.

Does the building management have an aggressive program to treat bed bugs, especially with heat treatment of infected and adjacent (at the same time) units? At least talk to management, and perhaps request a written disclosure regarding the number of bed bug complaints and subsequent actions taken to deal with the problem. Perhaps this is a one time episode and management is dealing aggressively with the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bu...rol_techniques

https://www.epa.gov/bedbugs/do-it-yo...ed-bug-control

The disclosure of "bed bugs" may be only for CYA purposes, especially when treatments are underway in a building. Actually, a unit which hasn't been occupied for years likely may not have bed bugs. Perhaps speak with exterminators for their assessment of the situation, and your ability to isolate a specific unit in a high-rise building. It would be easy to use heat treatment in an empty building. The issue for any high rise condo unit owner is what to do to prevent infection of your unit. I've read that traps can be effective in preventing a new infestation or identifying a problem.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ector-science/

Bed bugs are a potential problem in any high rise building, especially one in which many residents frequently travel. When I lived in a high-rise condo building, there was an exterminator company on call. I never had a problem. The big issue at that time was roaches.

You may have an opportunity to negotiate a big bargain.

The problem with bed bugs, other insect pests, bacteria, and even viruses, is that they've developed a resistance to pesticides, and other human treatments.

Individuals often bring bed bugs into single family homes, especially after traveling. E.g., few persons isolate and treat luggage.

A condition of sale should require an inspection by an expert pest company, one that has access to condo management records and all exterminators who have worked in the building in recent years. Consider a firm that uses traps to detect infestations.

http://www.sternenvironmental.com/be...eal-estate.php

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeowners/...good_idea_bad/

Hotels frequently have bed bug issues, and I've often wondered how they deal with outbreaks.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-30-2016 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 10:57 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That the condo was never lived in after the last purchase says the bedbugs are BAD.
The occupancy issue for that specific unit may have nothing to do with bed bugs.

Having said that, bed bugs are a growing issue in many communities.

Waste Management and other waste removal firms often require all furniture and mattresses to be wrapped in plastic in order to be picked up and removed from the curb side.

http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/maps/directions.aspx

Consider that you could get bed bugs from a moving company....

Maybe have a unit heat treated after you buy all furniture....

Life in the 21st century.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-30-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 11:04 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The occupancy issue for that specific unit may have nothing to do with bed bugs.
Fair enough. I've had a bad experience with bedbugs, so I wouldn't go within a mile of that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland