Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,435 times

Advertisements

The Cleveland area has a lot of distinct communities and I wanted to gauge what are people's personal favorite suburbs. I thought this might be a cool way to generate conversation and highlight unique/nice areas.

1. Which suburb?

2. What do you like about it?

3. Anything you dislike about it?/What changes if any would you like to see within the community?

4. Why don't you live if you don't already?

5. Feel free to provide streetview or pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 12:53 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times
I would say Shaker Heights due to the architecture, history, public transportation, cultural amenities, park system. It's one of America's classic, pre-WWII suburbs. It has been able to keep most of the original charm after 60 years of exurbanization of America.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Lakewood. Parts very dense and urban, other parts leafy and suburban. Great place for young people, families, seniors, everyone really. Lots of fun stuff in lakewood and easy access downtown, either driving or on buses or the rapid.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Lakewood. Parts very dense and urban, other parts leafy and suburban. Great place for young people, families, seniors, everyone really. Lots of fun stuff in lakewood and easy access downtown, either driving or on buses or the rapid.
I second all of this.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:34 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
I too would say Lakewood. It's one of the best places to live in the greater Cleveland area if you desire lots of dining/entertainment options and walkability, as well as diversity, and favor quaint older houses and apartments with character. Good public transit options, too. Very friendly and neighborly. And you don't have to be affluent to live here.

There's also a first-rate public library for a suburban town this size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
3. Anything you dislike about it?/What changes if any would you like to see within the community?
I would like to see a return to stricter law enforcement and building code enforcement the way it was several decades ago. The city seems to have gotten lax on some things over the years, IMO.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
So for you Lakewood fans...

Let's say you are visiting downtown in 2 weeks (totally hypothetical).

You have a day to cruise Lakewood and you are traveling with your CA born and raised near the beach wife.

You LOVE CLE and want to continue working to impress upon her the value of living in CLE.

You are staying downtown and seeing a play and a Monsters game.

Thus, with that ONE day to cruise, where would YOU go in Lakewood to impress the Mrs.?

Thanks- Rob

Old 01-15-2017, 04:18 PM

372 posts, read 593,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
So for you Lakewood fans...

Let's say you are visiting downtown in 2 weeks (totally hypothetical).

You have a day to cruise Lakewood and you are traveling with your CA born and raised near the beach wife.

You LOVE CLE and want to continue working to impress upon her the value of living in CLE.

You are staying downtown and seeing a play and a Monsters game.

Thus, with that ONE day to cruise, where would YOU go in Lakewood to impress the Mrs.?

Thanks- Rob
Did you do the solstice steps already at Lakewood park?

Old 01-15-2017, 04:33 PM

Yes...we were there last winter when it had recently opened. We have a nice pic on our fridge of the two of us with the lake in the background standing near the Lakewood sign in the bricks- at the end of the walkway facing CLE. Funny, my aunt retired from the company that made that sign!

That's ALL she has done in Lakewood- besides driving around Lake Ave.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:44 PM

170 posts, read 106,410 times
Shaker Heights would be a star suburb if its schools weren't so bad and if the edge of the neighborhoods bordering the inner city were a little safer.

Looking at it from the perspective of an upper class family that can afford to send their kids to a private school like US or Laurel, then it's the perfect place to live.

I grew up in Solon in the 2000's, and being a Jewish kid most of my friends lived in Beachwood, Shaker, and the Heights. Shaker and Cleveland Heights were always where the coolest parties and kids lived, and the restaurants there were always the best to go to. Great memories out there.

But, if you're looking for a place to raise a family in a safe environment with great schools and great houses, then Solon is definitely the place to go.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM

My cousin lives and loves Solon. Her kids have done very well. My mom grew up there after leaving Bedford HTS in the 40's. Hunting Club area of homes? Not sure. It's been a while. For me, I like being closer to downtown, even with kids, but Solon does have some cool perks. The community center is nice and the schools are top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland