Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:02 PM

378 posts, read 337,244 times

Advertisements

The Hough infill is a crime against urbanism. It's definitely born out of the tired Cleveland mentality that "any development is better than none!" just like the kennel that's going in along Detroit on the border of Detroit-Shoreway and Cudell.

It's unfortunate that Slavic Village doesn't have some of the housing stock that they have over in the Union-Lee-Miles/Corlett/Mt Pleasant areas. There's some good stock there but these areas are just so far from the city center they they really wont come back unless a few hundred thousand new residents randomly show up.

But imagine how sweet of an area SV would be if Fleet and Broadway were accompanied by a residential street like MLK/former East Boulevard.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4581...7i13312!8i6656

Fun fact: West Boulevard and East Boulevard/JFK were originally part of a parkway plan that would have seen them circle the city. The unconstructed southern portion was supposed to stretch from Garfield Park to Brookside Park (now the location of the zoo). It probably would have passed through the current area of SV.

Here's the plan:
Cleveland, general scheme for parks and parkways :: Atlases, Maps and Park Plans of Cleveland and Cuyahoga County

Here's what I've been able to map out:

Red indicates existing segments, yellow indicates segments that were planned at one time, blue indicates segments I can't confirm but which seem like they might have logically been part of the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 03:43 PM

816 posts, read 1,384,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Mill Creek is not urban in any sense of the word, very boring. Personally I find that the North Broadway and South Broadway designations are rarely used. I think of it all as "Slavic Village."

It's an area that I REALLY want to be nice, but after walking around there a lot a couple months ago, I just don't see it there. It's a good 15 years behind North Collinwood. Hoping for a faster turnaround though.
I am in the same boat as you. I really want this neighborhood to turn around. It just has so much history and beautiful buildings. As you said, it is just so far gone that it's going to take a long time and alot of focused effort for it to truly make a turnaround.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The glory of Mill Creek!!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4394...7i13312!8i6656

Who wouldn't want to live there??

I think I just vomited a little bit.

I wonder if these are the same builders that are doing all those new cookie cutter homes in the Central neighborhood?

Old 02-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
I think the biggest thing working against SV is how bland ALL of the housing stock is. Even the “historic” housing stock tends to be uninspiring at best, and at its worst small or kind of useless. If not small, it tends to be just awkwardly laid out since so much of the original housing was built to accommodate at least two working class European immigrant families and their seven children.
If you’ve been to Rooms to Let, walking through some of these houses shows how many odd, tiny rooms and disjointed staircases a lot of them seem to have. It doesn’t translate to a modern setup at all. SV is one of those neighborhoods where it wouldn’t be a huge loss to just have developers replace a lot of the housing stock with new infill. Unfortunately you end up with Mill Creek-looking suburban vinyl palaces scaled down and crammed onto city lots.
I have noticed that about the older homes in Slavic Village. My mom is an appraiser and I often went with her to help out while I was unemployed and she did alot of appraisals in that area. I was always intrigued by some of the layouts and quirks of those old homes. Like you said, alot of really weird little rooms and parts of the layout that didn't make sense at all. Very strange indeed

Old 02-07-2017, 07:59 AM

378 posts, read 337,244 times
I think Slavic Village would be well-served by this type of infill: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4977...7i13312!8i6656

It's simple and targeted at the middle to lower-middle market, and I think Cleveland could really use some more infill that isn't constantly being branded as "luxury."

These are also simple enough that they don't manage to be ostentatious. These places could be a little closer together in my opinion, but otherwise I tend to consider this one of the better infill developments in the city.

These are nice enough, too: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4862...7i13312!8i6656
This is the development, stalled since 2008, that Zaremba is going to be completing.

Last edited by j_ws; 02-07-2017 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: