Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:12 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times

Advertisements

Then there's this: Official Busing Ends in Cleveland - The New York Times
I remember a father commenting to me, "you want me to let them bus my child into a neighborhood that I wouldn't go?" Not sure how true this fear really was, but the court order damaged the city in my opinion. In 1970, Cleveland was around 700k in population, today it is around 380k.

I would say the top 3 reasons for white flight in Cleveland:
1. The natural desire of the American melting pot to spread out, get your own piece of the country, and segregate from those "ethnic neighbors" I do not necessarily infer African American "ethnic". However, I think racism against African Americans was the primary impetus for white flight.
2. Highway destruction of classic neighborhoods and the social safety net these neighborhoods gave to their community
3. In Cleveland, forced busing of schoolchildren via the court order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 06:51 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Then there's this: Official Busing Ends in Cleveland - The New York Times
I remember a father commenting to me, "you want me to let them bus my child into a neighborhood that I wouldn't go?" Not sure how true this fear really was, but the court order damaged the city in my opinion. In 1970, Cleveland was around 700k in population, today it is around 380k.

I would say the top 3 reasons for white flight in Cleveland:
1. The natural desire of the American melting pot to spread out, get your own piece of the country, and segregate from those "ethnic neighbors" I do not necessarily infer African American "ethnic". However, I think racism against African Americans was the primary impetus for white flight.
2. Highway destruction of classic neighborhoods and the social safety net these neighborhoods gave to their community
3. In Cleveland, forced busing of schoolchildren via the court order.
I don't think your #1 has actual support. I've personally at least never seen anything to suggest that. People certainly had many incentives from the fed programs to leave.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:06 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I'm talking about Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights mainly...I'm assuming the communities were originally built by and for whites (as were most places from that time period) and I think maybe they were originally heavily Jewish. The Tudor style of the buildings/houses is a style that would seem to point to a caucasian neighborhood (originally). Someone also told me that Shaker Square area used to be white but now it is mostly black...so just wondering why things shifted. Maybe as blacks moved in, whites left as sometimes happens? I guess I should do some reading on the history of the neighborhoods.
Shaker Hts. originally had restrictive covenants to prevent Jews and African Americans from purchasing homes.

<< The covenants in Shaker Heights and Forest Hill did not mention any specific racial group but required that a property could not be re-sold without the consent of the developer and/or the surrounding neighbors. This vagueness meant that any undesirable neighbor could be excluded – for his occupation or politics, for example. The context in which those covenants were created in Shaker Heights and Forest Hill, however, make it clear that the real targets, as elsewhere, were Jews and African Americans.>>

Deferring Dreams: Racial and Religious Covenants in Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights and East Cleveland, 1925 to 1970 By Marian Morton – Teaching Cleveland Digital

Some of the most wealthy residents of the Heights area migrated to the estates of the far eastern suburbs, such as Hunting Valley, as cars and better highways eliminated the need for the use of mass transit for commutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_Valley,_Ohio

Undoubtedly, there was some racial flight, but the appeal of the larger lots and more modern homes of the outer ring suburbs also was significant, especially as limited access highways were developed beginning in the 1950s. The joke in Lake County was that Mentor should have been re-named New Euclid, as many former Euclid residents labored there to recreate a modern and improved Euclid in Mentor, down to marginal roads flanking Route 2 for industrial parks and a mega high school, but certainly with larger lots and bigger homes. Check the growth of Mentor following the building of Routes 2 and 90:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentor,_Ohio

There are likely scores of outer ring suburbs that experienced such explosive growth in Greater Cleveland.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 AM

840 posts, read 759,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I've felt the same about cedar Fairmount. I mean it's a great area, but you're right you'd think you'd see more people. Maybe they spend all their time at University circle? I bet that's the main reason why people live there. Though nighttown, vero, the Fairmount are all awesome.

I think the culture you're talking about is still there though just less clearly. The Jewish deli thing might not really be there, but go to slymans, gallucis, sterle's- all on the east side! Walk through asiatown and check out some restaurants. Red chimney in Slavic village, the Balaton at Shaker square. Bialys bagels in university heights is pretty great too, maybe that counts for the Jewish bagel thing. Corky and Lenny's in beachwood is the classic one though. There really is still a lot. Try a few of those and let us know how it was. I'm happy to suggest more too.
Well, I'll have to check out some of those places....still discovering what's here. I think because Cedar Fairmount area reminds me a tiny bit of Coolidge Corner in Brookline (architecture) I was expecting more of a Jewish presence as there is in Brookline. Anyway...thanks for the suggestions and once I get a car I'll check out Beachwood.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Shaker Hts. originally had restrictive covenants to prevent Jews and African Americans from purchasing homes.

<< The covenants in Shaker Heights and Forest Hill did not mention any specific racial group but required that a property could not be re-sold without the consent of the developer and/or the surrounding neighbors. This vagueness meant that any undesirable neighbor could be excluded – for his occupation or politics, for example. The context in which those covenants were created in Shaker Heights and Forest Hill, however, make it clear that the real targets, as elsewhere, were Jews and African Americans.>>

Deferring Dreams: Racial and Religious Covenants in Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights and East Cleveland, 1925 to 1970 By Marian Morton – Teaching Cleveland Digital

Some of the most wealthy residents of the Heights area migrated to the estates of the far eastern suburbs, such as Hunting Valley, as cars and better highways eliminated the need for the use of mass transit for commutes.

Undoubtedly, there was some racial flight, but the appeal of the larger lots and more modern homes of the outer ring suburbs also was significant, especially as limited access highways were developed beginning in the 1950s. The joke in Lake County was that Mentor should have been re-named New Euclid, as many former Euclid residents labored there to recreate a modern and improved Euclid in Mentor, down to marginal roads flanking Route 2 for industrial parks and a mega high school, but certainly with larger lots and bigger homes. Check the growth of Mentor following the building of Routes 2 and 90:

There are likely scores of outer ring suburbs that experienced such explosive growth in Greater Cleveland.

Interesting...I guess part of what puzzles me is that the inner ring suburbs here aren't more bustling and desirable due to proximity to downtown as I've experienced in other cities. However, perhaps proximity to downtown Cleveland isn't that important or desirable to most. Things are very different here than other places I've lived and still trying to figure it out.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:52 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

My grandparents-in-law did exactly that. They moved from Collinwood to the city of Euclid and then to Mentor in the late 50s. Mentor was considered to be out in the middle of nowhere, and the grandmother was not happy to be living in the country among the farm fields and rose nurseries. When they were alive they readily admitted that they and everyone they knew moved out of Cleveland due to the demographic changes, mainly out of fear.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
My grandparents-in-law did exactly that. They moved from Collinwood to the city of Euclid and then to Mentor in the late 50s. Mentor was considered to be out in the middle of nowhere, and the grandmother was not happy to be living in the country among the farm fields and rose nurseries. When they were alive they readily admitted that they and everyone they knew moved out of Cleveland due to the demographic changes, mainly out of fear.
So I guess my next question is Are many younger or other people moving into these areas now? Or are these areas considered undesirable? Usually areas around colleges are densely populated but as I've said I don't see that many people around (given all the apt. buildings).

Old 02-19-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Euclid really didn't experience a lot of diversity until long after the 1950s. Those small bungalows on small lots that dominated Euclid's housing stock south of Lakeshore couldn't compete with Mentor's suburban developments. They were popular, however, with baby boomers working downtown, starting out and wanting to build equity even through the 1980s, based on several friends of mine. African Americans first migrated to the areas south of Route 2.

In 2010, Euclid still was 44 percent white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid,_Ohio

It's somewhat sad as I remember when Mentor was the nursery capital of the U.S. However, I miss much more the many orchards which once punctuated Lake County.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Jack's Deli on Cedar Road is considered one of the very best delis in Greater Cleveland.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...land_Ohio.html

Van Aken Center at the end of the Blue Line used to be fairly bustling, and probably will be again once redeveloped.

Demolition begins at Van Aken Center (photos) | cleveland.com

University Circle, especially Uptown, Litttle Italy, and Beachwood Place mall, La Place, and Legacy Village (perhaps especially the latter) currently are the more bustling areas on the near east side.

I haven't been to Coventry in a while, so I don't know how it's faring these days. With Tommy's and Mac's Backs and Big Fun still there, it still sounds like a great visit. It used to be difficult to find parking there. Tommy's is one of the most iconic restaurants in Greater Cleveland and literally a great place to just hang out.

Coventry Village | Cleveland Heights Ohio

Are you a Harvey Pekar fan?

http://coventryvillage.org/2010/07/h...kar-1939-2010/

Last edited by WRnative; 02-19-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Interesting...I guess part of what puzzles me is that the inner ring suburbs here aren't more bustling and desirable due to proximity to downtown as I've experienced in other cities.
Have you been to Coventry Village yet? Happy Dog at Euclid Inn in Uptown is another personal favorite for dogs, tater tots, all of the toppings, good beer on tap, and pinball, but get there before the bands and cover charge unless that's your thing. The Happy Dog also has cultural offerings such as lectures.

About HAPPY DOG at The Euclid Tavern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland