Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 8,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Have you done any research? I would agree pollutants are as major a concern as noise, especially if you'll raise children in the house. There's a reason this house is priced below market.

http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/livin...ct-your-health

Where Traffic Noise Takes A Toll On Health : Shots - Health News : NPR

Why aren't there sound barriers between this house and I-90???

They seem the norm elsewhere on I-90 and Route 2 between these highways and residential areas. Perhaps ask local authorities if sound barriers are a possibility in the future.

I have a friend that lives a mile from I-90. In the summer, sometimes when the weather is perfect for sound transmission, the highway drone annoys her to the point that she keeps her windows closed at night on the highway side. She can't do anything about the drone when using her patio and swimming pool....
I'll have to ask the realtor about sound barrier. From the looks of it the sound barriers stop at the Westlake/Avon line, this house is less than 1/2 mile from the Westlake border. I lived for 4 years near Newark, NJ and pretty much every home or apartment building was 1/4 mile or closer to 24/7 rush hour filled highways. If the traffic noise and brake dust was such a problem I would imagine everyone near big cities would be dead or dying by now.

Again, I catch myself justifying my decision. Everyone I ask has a split opinion on this. And yes, the home is priced at steep discount compared to identical homes with the smaller lots that are just few hundred yards away. Clearly this could be looked as opportunity to live in Avon on smaller budget or a noise pollution issue. That's why I can't decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Don't skip over the point that I was trying to make that if you plan to use your backyard, the highway drone will be much more annoying than it is inside the house. Also, don't plan on opening the windows facing I-90.

IMO, the discount likely is no bargain, especially as any appreciation on the house may be capped compared to a similar property not facing these issues.

Have you calculated what the monthly savings is to you by buying this house compared to a similar house without these issues? Then ask yourself if that savings is worth dealing with the concerns. E.g., it's well proven that kids exposed to pollutants develop asthma. How much would you pay to protect your kids from the risk of developing asthma?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12194888

BTW, IMO it's ridiculousness to dismiss the obvious health concerns about living immediately next to an interstate because other people who have done so aren't all dead.

Last edited by WRnative; 03-25-2017 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-25-2017, 02:53 PM

372 posts, read 593,590 times
Everyone I know that had initially moved to a house backing up to 90, moves out ASAP and goes through struggles with resale. Asthma is the biggest health concern, and again, I have several anecdotes of
families whose children are affected.

I wouldn't do it.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times
A study in CA (along 101 and the 405) just showed a big cancer uptick the closer you are to a freeway. Would not be near one if possible.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:08 AM

6 posts, read 8,248 times
Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback.

Went back there for a walk yesterday afternoon just to see how neighborhood looks and feels on a warmer spring day during the weekend. We walked along Avon Rd and in to the Peach Ct. then turned around and walked past that house again back toward the Willow Creek.

First impressions. Clean sidewalks and streets, many families with kids and dogs there living/playing mostly in front yards. I was actually surprised how many young families with children are living there. We met a several people doing spring chores or just hanging out. One lady we talked to lives 2 houses down from the one we are looking at, she is a teacher in Avon middle school. She mentioned they bought their home 4 years ago, and says the highway noise does not bother them anymore. She had a toddler with her in cozy coupe playing in the driveway. We asked about the home that is for sale, she mentioned owners lived there long before they bought their house with 5 kids of various ages, then moved out of state last winter. She also mentioned some of their kids were her students and attended the middle school where she works.

This is completely opposite of what I expected tbh. Just seeing so many young working families living there is encouraging.

Last edited by RNLassy; 03-26-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 PM

19 posts, read 31,701 times
RN Lassy. If you haven't decided some other things to consider. The noise will always be a problem. Remember, location is everything. With Menards and Meijers both going in on Chester road, traffic will double in the next 2 years in your vicinity. Avon Rd is currently blocked off by the city of Westlake. If that situation changes the traffic on Avon Rd will increases exponentially as it is an easy way over from Bradley Rd to Nagel Rd. Avon is pushing Westlake to open the road again. It was open last summer for a time during construction.

There are some houses in Avon Lake that meet your requirements. Less than 250K. Nice neighborhoods, and built after 1980. The market is very tight for these properties. Suggest you drive through the Greenpointe development west of Jaycox and north of Walker road. Heavily treed lots, most of the houses back up to either open land or the 2 parks that border the neighborhood. At present there are no houses for sale in that neighborhood which tells you something. Keep a sharp eye out as listings usually are sold within days.

Avon Lake has some advantages over Avon. Lower taxes, lower utilities, less traffic, ans alternate access to Cleveland, RR, Lakewood via Lake Rd.

I drive that route between Sandusky and Avon a lot. I get tired of seeing the same old nothingness between Vermilion and the Rye Beach Rd exit. It would be a nice change for you to have a 6 minute, 2 stoplight commute to the Clinic.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:28 AM

120 posts, read 107,264 times
It's not all rainbows and unicorns in Avon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ynJ5S9c58

Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 PM

13 posts, read 16,032 times
My experience on a highway in the back yard- run- don't walk! I had a condo in the 80's that was as quiet as could be and 10 years later they built a highway behind the condos. Trees occluded the view of the freeway but you could not open the back bedroom windows or enjoy the back yard due to the noise. My advise is to settle for a longer commute in a nice quiet community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland