Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:35 PM

840 posts, read 759,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I suspect if you had a decent sized group, you could arrange personal tours. Definitely, at the Soldiers & Sailors Monument, where you could head to many different locations before or after the tour. Almost certainly at the Cleveland Museum of Art.

Soon, downtown walking tours will begin once again.

Perhaps use the free bus trolleys to tour downtown, ending up at Walnut Wednesday.

Things To Do In Cleveland Today | Downtown Cleveland Alliance

Heritage Tourism - Gateway District | Downtown Cleveland's Vibrant Commercial, Entertainment, and Residential NeighborhoodGateway District | Downtown Cleveland's Vibrant Commercial, Entertainment, and Residential Neighborhood

Perhaps set up a Greater Cleveland Transplant Group at meetup.com, but I might make it a more general group to attract greater participation. E.g., Explore Cleveland Group!
Maybe some people will be interested in this but that isn't my aim really. I'm not interested in forming a huge group. Just looking for old fashioned coffee talk with a few single "older" people about life in Cleveland, life in general....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I meet lots of people in my senior housing complex but I'm always interested in meeting more. It all depends upon where the meeting place would be.
Great! Maybe we could go somewhere near you in Lakewood. I think Andrew61 also lives over there.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'm a native Clevelander, but lived in Chicago for 20 years and recently moved back. Do I count as a "transplant"? (I feel like I'm starting over here, need to meet new people, etc.)
Definitely!...my interest in this is to meet "older" people who are new here (or those who have returned here) or came here from somewhere else (doesn't have to be recent) for a little chit chat about our experiences, life etc. Minervah used to live in Chicago so it might be interesting if both of you came.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
I would be up for this. We just got here four days ago and we're looking for a house. First time in Cleveland too, so we know next to nothing about the area other than from online research.
Welcome to Cleveland!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:02 AM

474 posts, read 840,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Welcome to Cleveland!
Thanks! I think this is a great idea -- a group of us from the CD Western North Carolina forum did this a few years ago. We met at the Sierra Nevada taproom and we all got along fine, even those who weren't exactly chummy on the forum. It was fun and we didn't run out of things to talk about. Of course, the beer helped!

Old 04-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Sounds fun and maybe some people on this forum would like to arrange a get together like that in CLE. That's not exactly what I'm aiming for at this point though (not a beer drinker). Looking more for just a simple gathering in a quieter place for coffee talk (for people a bit older, say 60 and up).

Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Sounds fun and maybe some people on this forum would like to arrange a get together like that in CLE. That's not exactly what I'm aiming for at this point though (not a beer drinker). Looking more for just a simple gathering in a quieter place for coffee talk (for people a bit older, say 60 and up).
Not sure what your preconceived notions of the Asheville, NC area are, but Asheville draws retirees from all over. Our group was mostly retirees from New York, Chicago, etc. A small, quiet gathering sounds perfect to me.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Not sure what your preconceived notions of the Asheville, NC area are, but Asheville draws retirees from all over. Our group was mostly retirees from New York, Chicago, etc. A small, quiet gathering sounds perfect to me.
I don't really have any preconceived notions about Asheville but from what I've heard it's lovely there (so I'd like to hear about why you left if we manage a gathering). I just had something different in mind rather than a bar which is usually noisy and not that conducive to talking unless you like to shout. But your suggestion was good and it was interesting to hear that C-D people have gotten together and even people who don't always agree can socialize!

Well...we'll see if we can get a few of us together at some point. What area are you living in now?

Old 04-12-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I don't really have any preconceived notions about Asheville but from what I've heard it's lovely there (so I'd like to hear about why you left if we manage a gathering). I just had something different in mind rather than a bar which is usually noisy and not that conducive to talking unless you like to shout. But your suggestion was good and it was interesting to hear that C-D people have gotten together and even people who don't always agree can socialize!

Well...we'll see if we can get a few of us together at some point. What area are you living in now?
Ah, I guess I should have described it better. The Sierra Nevada brewery taproom is really more of a restaurant than a bar, and the noise is more restaurant-level, especially since we met at noon. The place is one of their flagship operations, and sits on 190 acres!

I'm currently staying in Lakewood, but in a couple of weeks I'll be moving into our new home in Cleveland Heights. I would also love to hear what brought everyone to Cleveland. We really like it here so far, more than we anticipated.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Ah, I guess I should have described it better. The Sierra Nevada brewery taproom is really more of a restaurant than a bar, and the noise is more restaurant-level, especially since we met at noon. The place is one of their flagship operations, and sits on 190 acres!

I'm currently staying in Lakewood, but in a couple of weeks I'll be moving into our new home in Cleveland Heights. I would also love to hear what brought everyone to Cleveland. We really like it here so far, more than we anticipated.
Just the opposite here. Lived in Cleveland Heights when I moved here two years ago, now in Lakewood. I've been told people often migrate back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland