Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:27 PM

171 posts, read 148,766 times

Advertisements

My husband is a native of Canton, Oh., I'm from Western Michigan. We currently live in Maryland and have been on the East Coast for about 30 years.

We got into the habit of visiting Cleveland about five years ago. Every year we go to see his family in Canton, and then we spend a few days in Cleveland.

We are getting close to retirement and are considering retiring in Cleveland. The only issue I have is that, with all our visits to the city, I really haven't gotten a feel for whether or not the people are friendly. I like the fact that Cleveland seems to have a stronger sense of community than many larger cities (e.g., New York, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco). But I'm afraid that if we move there in our 60's that most people our age will already have established friendships and family and really won't be that interested in meeting outsiders.

What do you think? Are there any transplants who could enlighten me or share their experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
This forum seems to have a few people in that demographic. I'll defer to them.

But ignoring age, I do think Cleveland makes it easier to get to know people more closely than the east coast. I don't want to say "friendly" because that depends on the person, but I do think that certain things about the area make it conducive to communities.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 AM

201 posts, read 237,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
My husband is a native of Canton, Oh., I'm from Western Michigan. We currently live in Maryland and have been on the East Coast for about 30 years.

We got into the habit of visiting Cleveland about five years ago. Every year we go to see his family in Canton, and then we spend a few days in Cleveland.

We are getting close to retirement and are considering retiring in Cleveland. The only issue I have is that, with all our visits to the city, I really haven't gotten a feel for whether or not the people are friendly. I like the fact that Cleveland seems to have a stronger sense of community than many larger cities (e.g., New York, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco). But I'm afraid that if we move there in our 60's that most people our age will already have established friendships and family and really won't be that interested in meeting outsiders.

What do you think? Are there any transplants who could enlighten me or share their experiences?
OP, I am not a Cleveland native; raised in the Detroit suburbs and lived in several places (including five years in Washington, DC) before I bought my house in Shaker Heights over three years ago. I have found it very easy to make friends and have a full life here. I can definitively say this is a friendlier place than the East Coast and I don't miss living in DC at all (though I do enjoy periodic visits).

Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:41 AM

811 posts, read 887,708 times
Cleveland is friendlier than the East Coast, for sure, but is not the most "friendliest" place either. If you are asking about general politeness and civility, then yes, you will find that in Cleveland, like many other places. Cleveland is certainly not as friendly as the South or even other Midwestern cities. One thing that drove me crazy living in Cleveland was just how reserved people are. If you hold the door for someone or say hello, or strike up general conversation while waiting for a table at a restaurant, you MAY get odd looks. That is one of the reasons I moved South. But I don't think one would have too much of an issue making friends if you are willing to engage in activities to make friends.

Cleveland is more similar to the East Coast cities than it is Midwestern or Southern cities. This is coming from someone who lived there.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:30 PM

840 posts, read 759,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Cleveland is friendlier than the East Coast, for sure, but is not the most "friendliest" place either. If you are asking about general politeness and civility, then yes, you will find that in Cleveland, like many other places. Cleveland is certainly not as friendly as the South or even other Midwestern cities. One thing that drove me crazy living in Cleveland was just how reserved people are. If you hold the door for someone or say hello, or strike up general conversation while waiting for a table at a restaurant, you MAY get odd looks. That is one of the reasons I moved South. But I don't think one would have too much of an issue making friends if you are willing to engage in activities to make friends.

Cleveland is more similar to the East Coast cities than it is Midwestern or Southern cities. This is coming from someone who lived there.
I'm new to Cleveland and I have been struck by how much more friendly people are here than Seattle where I had been living for many years. And here people hold doors and men let women board first on the bus usually.

People do seem to make small talk while waiting for a bus or waiting to cross the street, or during retail transactions....but I do think it may be mostly blacks rather than whites who do this (I am white). But overall I find most people here very nice (at least until they are behind the wheel of a car....that's another story).

Old 04-12-2017, 03:50 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
IMO Clevelanders are fairly friendly... but after having been gone for 20 years and then moving back, it seems like there's more rudeness here than there used to be. Of course, that could merely be due to changing times.

Keep in mind that friendliness doesn't necessarily mean friendship. I surmise it's as challenging to make friends in Cleveland as it would be anywhere else.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:22 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
IMO Clevelanders are fairly friendly... but after having been gone for 20 years and then moving back, it seems like there's more rudeness here than there used to be. Of course, that could merely be due to changing times.

Keep in mind that friendliness doesn't necessarily mean friendship. I surmise it's as challenging to make friends in Cleveland as it would be anywhere else.
There honestly is more rudeness everywhere I think.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:26 PM

840 posts, read 759,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There honestly is more rudeness everywhere I think.
That's for sure. I was crossing in front of a car who was coming out of the Starbuck's drive through (she wasn't moving) and I guess I was going slow because it had just snowed and it was slippery and I looked at the driver to wave thank you and she gave me the finger.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:22 PM

65 posts, read 83,531 times
Cleveland is definitely a friendly city! Ohio/Midwest in general is way friendlier than the east coast for sure!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,324 times
It's friendly! I live on the coast of CA. I am the type (like my grandpa who lived in Solon and Bedford Hts and grew up in Chagrin), who love to talk to people. I can say, "Hello," to a female here and sometimes their body language is so "What, you want to marry me?" it makes me sick.

When I visit CLE, people on the rail are friendly and chatty. I was so used to how friendly people are in CLE that last trip I did my usual..hold the door open...for two older ladies leaving Heinens, but they just walked in without a word and that surprised me. "You're welcome!" I am sure they heard me say as they walked in.

There is something about the area and maybe it's the "underdog" theme that Lebron talks about, that seems to bring people together.

This is one reason I prefer CLE to where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland