Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

171 posts, read 148,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
I'm an east coaster (born and raised in Savannah, went to college and grad school in Charlotte, and now live in Lynchburg, VA) and love Ohio. I was in Cincinnati with a Charlotte friend last year for my vacation and would place it in my top ten US cities I've visited and I've been all over the US. I could easily live there. Now this Memorial Day weekend myself and two east coast friends are super pumped about our first time visiting Cleveland (five day visit). Got a nice private room at the Cleveland Hostel in Ohio City and plan on exploring great neighborhoods like Ohio City, University Circle, Detroit-Shoreway, downtown, and Tremont. We are also catching an Indians game! I tout how nice Cincinnati is (especially OTR and Pendleton) on my travels and to my friends and am sure I will be equally impressed with what's going on in Cleveland. Looks like a city on the rise with lots of potential and lots of very nice urban neighborhoods and architecture. A lot of my friends like to visit Ohio too so we're not all east coast elitist snobs over here

dbcook1:
When most Midwesterners talk about "the East", they are talking about Boston, NYC, and D.C. We think of Savannah as being in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
dbcook1:
When most Midwesterners talk about "the East", they are talking about Boston, NYC, and D.C. We think of Savannah as being in the South.
Yeah I was wondering about that the South is technically the East, geographically, but culturally it isn't anything like the North. I also found out the hard way that I'm not a Northerner, because when people from the East talk about the North they're referring to the Northeast, not the Midwest. So I took that out of my vocabulary.

The South does not have the same antagonistic attitudes about the Midwest that they have about the North. That is really an East Coast vs Southeast issue. That's one thing that I love about the Midwest. There really is no right or wrong way. People are just doing whatever they want to do up there. That is where it all comes together. Other regions are becoming more like this but I think the Midwest has always been this way, at least for as long as I can remember. Could have been different in the earlier parts of the twentieth century, I'm not sure.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 AM

509 posts, read 433,198 times
Getting a bit off topic, but personally as a Southerner I have no antagonist or ill feelings towards the Northeast or any particular region. I have taken the train up to DC, NYC, Philly, and Boston on multiple occasions for visits and have enjoyed each trip, though the only cities up there I'd probably want to live in are Boston and Pittsburgh (is Pittsburgh NE or MW?). I only have ill feelings towards those in any region that would immediately and without merit judge, stereotype, and generalize an entire region and it's population without actually getting out there and visiting those places and getting to know people from those areas. The South as well as the Midwest are very diverse places these days with big, diverse and forward thinking cities to boot. Even here in Lynchburg I have gay friends, non-religious friends, and a good friend from Tehran originally who is a pretty cool dude who likes to travel, go to breweries, etc. They are all well accepted in the Lynchburg community by and large and this city has a pretty conservative reputation. But yes there are still many cultural differences between north and south that prevail to this day, but even more false stereotypes. I have met many around the country and Canada that harbor these generalizations and have always made the point that they aren't always true. Some I have convinced and others I haven't, but maybe it got them thinking more about and these places and people that they once generalized. When going to Cleveland, I choose to ignore negative stereotypes and focus on really getting to know a city first hand and make up my own mind. From what I have heard though, it's been seemingly positive. Anyway, I'll let you know how the trip to Cleveland goes! Excited to check out the neighborhoods and try out all those great breweries and restaurants I keep hearing about!!

Last edited by dbcook1; 04-25-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
the only cities up there I'd probably want to live in are Boston and Pittsburgh (is Pittsburgh NE or MW?).

Good question. Technically, Pennsylvania is considered part of the Northeast. However, Western Pennsylvania is culturally and demographically similar to much of the Midwest. While it may not technically be considered part of the Midwest, it's usually considered to be part of the rust belt.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:09 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
I'm an east coaster (born and raised in Savannah, went to college and grad school in Charlotte, and now live in Lynchburg, VA) and love Ohio. I was in Cincinnati with a Charlotte friend last year for my vacation and would place it in my top ten US cities I've visited and I've been all over the US. I could easily live there. Now this Memorial Day weekend myself and two east coast friends are super pumped about our first time visiting Cleveland (five day visit). Got a nice private room at the Cleveland Hostel in Ohio City and plan on exploring great neighborhoods like Ohio City, University Circle, Detroit-Shoreway, downtown, and Tremont. We are also catching an Indians game! I tout how nice Cincinnati is (especially OTR and Pendleton) on my travels and to my friends and am sure I will be equally impressed with what's going on in Cleveland. Looks like a city on the rise with lots of potential and lots of very nice urban neighborhoods and architecture. A lot of my friends like to visit Ohio too so we're not all east coast elitist snobs over here
Buy an RTA day pass and be certain to take the Blue or Green rail rapid lines to Shaker Square. Try the Wienershnitzel at the Balaton, or dine at EDWINS (French) or Fire (locavore). Before or after dinner, take the Green Line east to check out Shaker Blvd. Perhaps get off the Green Line and explore Horseshoe Lake Park and the mansions on North and South Park Boulevards.

jennifer cho salaff: Out for a stroll (exploring the Shaker Lakes)

Green Line | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Don't miss the Farkas Bakery, Nate's Deli, or Mitchell's Ice Cream, all short walks from the Cleveland Hostel. You should be able to shop at the nearby West Side Market and prepare your own meals at the Hostel.

If you can rent a car, there are other great options discussed in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...io-during.html

Old 04-30-2017, 03:42 PM

840 posts, read 760,324 times
I keep reading here about how Cleveland is so segregated yet living in the Cleveland Heights area I see blacks and whites all over and so I thought it was very integrated. I'm relatively new here so I'm not really getting it.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:06 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I keep reading here about how Cleveland is so segregated yet living in the Cleveland Heights area I see blacks and whites all over and so I thought it was very integrated. I'm relatively new here so I'm not really getting it.
Cleveland Hts., Shaker Hts., Beachwood, and Solon, and likely other suburbs, have relatively high levels of integration, but some neighborhoods, due to different economic classes, are less integrated than others.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:19 PM

840 posts, read 760,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Cleveland Hts., Shaker Hts., Beachwood, and Solon, and likely other suburbs, have relatively high levels of integration, but some neighborhoods, due to different economic classes, are less integrated than others.
So in other words there are poor black neighborhoods and better off white neighborhoods? Are most of the African American population in CLE living in poverty, or on par with other groups?

Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 PM

I certainly hope that Cleveland isn't segregated. I live in the Chesapeake (Maryland) now, and it has a HUGE African American population. They run the full range from ghetto class to well educated professionals--same as the whites, who go from rednecks to well educated professionals. I would find it very weird to live in a place without African Americans--and I'm white.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:19 AM

509 posts, read 433,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Buy an RTA day pass and be certain to take the Blue or Green rail rapid lines to Shaker Square. Try the Wienershnitzel at the Balaton, or dine at EDWINS (French) or Fire (locavore). Before or after dinner, take the Green Line east to check out Shaker Blvd. Perhaps get off the Green Line and explore Horseshoe Lake Park and the mansions on North and South Park Boulevards.

jennifer cho salaff: Out for a stroll (exploring the Shaker Lakes)

Green Line | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Don't miss the Farkas Bakery, Nate's Deli, or Mitchell's Ice Cream, all short walks from the Cleveland Hostel. You should be able to shop at the nearby West Side Market and prepare your own meals at the Hostel.

If you can rent a car, there are other great options discussed in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...io-during.html
This is really interesting insider local knowledge. I hadn't even considered or heard of Shaker Heights... Thanks for the tip! We will definitely try to make a side trip out there. Definitely planning on using RTA while there.

I did make an interactive map of breweries/bars, museums, Cleveland script signs, galleries, restaurants, parks, etc that I can use on my phone while I am there. Pretty much did a ton of research on clevescene.com, Thrillist, TripAdvisor, and Yelp to find some of the best local places.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...235192871&z=13

I am really excited to try the new Collision Bend Brewery which looks to have some amazing views of the Cuyahoga from the outside deck area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland