Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 04:31 PM

816 posts, read 1,386,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The $15.00/hour minimum wage requirement is certainly going to kill business, especially small business.
Definitely agree. Not a fan of this proposal at all. In my mind, alot of these small business owners are going to be breaking their backs trying to stay afloat. I'm sure they will be cutting their employees hours back, just to stay in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 04:50 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,911,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Maybe because the rest of the city is decaying???

edit: not sure if the rest of what you said is correct or just your opinion and I don't feel like researching to fact check you.... but if it is all true, then I agree with most of what you said.
So, if downtown is growing and neighborhoods are not, it's time to end downtown growth? Where else then would the growth occur? Who will relocate to the city and where? Positive growth has to start somewhere, and like many cites, it starts downtown. Chicago's core is growing, yet many of its neighborhoods or declining; stopping downtown growth in Chicago or Cincinnati is certainly not on any politicians' agenda, it is in Cleveland though.

Fact check starting with Johnson's website and his city council one as well. That's easy to do.

As for the old downtown vs. neighborhood debates in the '80s, you may have to dig a bit but that was a big issue. When the Key Tower and Marriott was being proposed with tax abatements, many railed against it, including Johnson. These ''leaders'' preferred an empty parking lot on the square, no Marriott hotel, and leaving Mall A in its embarrassing condition. Mall A by the '80s was a trash, newspaper swept embarrassment. The monument was falling apart; the fountains weren't working, the basin was full of trash and leaves. Rebuilding Mall A as part of the underground parking garage below it was part of this huge development.

The whole ''fat cat business people (in this case the Jacobs Bros) vs. the people in the 'hoods'' is stale. Look what's happened in CLE since the '80s. Population now estimated to be about 385,000. RTA ridership cut in half.

Johnson has always been a political opportunist; that's his career. From the Key Tower project in the '80s to this ''concern'' about buses going through Public Square, it's all based on keeping his political job. All the areas of the city you lived in were once nice and stable. With guys like Reed, Johnson etc in city leadership, those same areas are now considered dangerous.

How could anyone make opinions about facts stated by Johnson's websites. Like Reed, it's all there. Both of these guys have been in office too long to be touting their leadership skills for any job, let alone leading CLE in a time of true optimism.

Hopefully, if Jackson can be re-elected, someone will emerge in the political field without the Cleveland political baggage that all these council members carry with their records of economic and population decline.

Again, note that none of these candidates mention population growth. Why?

Old 07-02-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
So, if downtown is growing and neighborhoods are not, it's time to end downtown growth? Where else then would the growth occur? Who will relocate to the city and where? Positive growth has to start somewhere, and like many cites, it starts downtown. Chicago's core is growing, yet many of its neighborhoods or declining; stopping downtown growth in Chicago or Cincinnati is certainly not on any politicians' agenda, it is in Cleveland though.

Fact check starting with Johnson's website and his city council one as well. That's easy to do.

As for the old downtown vs. neighborhood debates in the '80s, you may have to dig a bit but that was a big issue. When the Key Tower and Marriott was being proposed with tax abatements, many railed against it, including Johnson. These ''leaders'' preferred an empty parking lot on the square, no Marriott hotel, and leaving Mall A in its embarrassing condition. Mall A by the '80s was a trash, newspaper swept embarrassment. The monument was falling apart; the fountains weren't working, the basin was full of trash and leaves. Rebuilding Mall A as part of the underground parking garage below it was part of this huge development.

The whole ''fat cat business people (in this case the Jacobs Bros) vs. the people in the 'hoods'' is stale. Look what's happened in CLE since the '80s. Population now estimated to be about 385,000. RTA ridership cut in half.

Johnson has always been a political opportunist; that's his career. From the Key Tower project in the '80s to this ''concern'' about buses going through Public Square, it's all based on keeping his political job. All the areas of the city you lived in were once nice and stable. With guys like Reed, Johnson etc in city leadership, those same areas are now considered dangerous.

How could anyone make opinions about facts stated by Johnson's websites. Like Reed, it's all there. Both of these guys have been in office too long to be touting their leadership skills for any job, let alone leading CLE in a time of true optimism.

Hopefully, if Jackson can be re-elected, someone will emerge in the political field without the Cleveland political baggage that all these council members carry with their records of economic and population decline.

Again, note that none of these candidates mention population growth. Why?
I wasn't doubting you about the other stuff, I'm just a skeptical person sometimes, especially over something said by random internet stranger. And I agreed with just about everything that you said too.

I'm not talking about STOPPING downtown development, that would just be plain stupid. Just maybe distribute a little more money outwards toward the neighborhoods that so desperately need it. How would you propose fixing up our neighborhoods while still keeping up with the amount of development downtown, all at the same time? You gotta remember, the general public should be the main priority and it feels like the general public here in Cleveland are suffering.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Definitely agree. Not a fan of this proposal at all. In my mind, alot of these small business owners are going to be breaking their backs trying to stay afloat. I'm sure they will be cutting their employees hours back, just to stay in business.
These small businesses will close or relocate outside the city limits. Perhaps a relocation to one of the deteriorating inner-ring suburbs, thanks to Cleveland's population spill over, so why not make the small businesses go with them.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Fact check starting Again, note that none of these candidates mention population growth. Why?
and baby steps my friend. we need to stop the loss first before we can start growing

Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I wasn't doubting you about the other stuff, I'm just a skeptical person sometimes, especially over something said by random internet stranger. And I agreed with just about everything that you said too.

I'm not talking about STOPPING downtown development, that would just be plain stupid. Just maybe distribute a little more money outwards toward the neighborhoods that so desperately need it. How would you propose fixing up our neighborhoods while still keeping up with the amount of development downtown, all at the same time? You gotta remember, the general public should be the main priority and it feels like the general public here in Cleveland are suffering.
Answer is simple: attract employers, which attract employees both of which create tax money. New employees may want to live downtown, UC, OC, D-S, Tremont, Shaker Sq, Kamms. These people have $$ to support and create small businesses throughout the city as storefronts pop-up with a variety of businesses that these new residents need and want. The dollar multiplier effect.

A strong core creates opportunities for residents to work and takes money back to their neighborhoods to spend on businesses there as well. Having a thriving hospitality-culinary scene in the city certainly offers employment opportunities.

What exactly do these neighborhoods need money so desperately for? Jobs? What job skills do the residents' of these neighborhoods have? What employers want to locate in and hire from these communities?

The general public in Cleveland is suffering, the city is one of, if not the, poorest large city in the U.S. Downtown has to be the current focus of redevelopment. Of the few job relocations to the city from the suburbs, downtown is the draw; not Jeff Johnson's Glenville neighborhood.

Cleveland needs to rebuild its population and without downtown and a few other areas leading the way, it's not going to happen. Cleveland has to adjust and build on the new economy; the new economy requires educated, talented, and skilled employees. The other areas success lies in these few areas being successful. Career self-centered politicians like Johnson and Reed want to pull the plug on downtown; both need a crash course on the new economy.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
and baby steps my friend. we need to stop the loss first before we can start growing
Again, how many decades of decline (CLE is in its 7th decade of population loss) will it take before these political ''leaders'' figure this out? This issue is not a recent phenomena in Cleveland. It's a poverty stricken shell with an embedded underclass. This didn't occur the last 10 or 20 years.

A great start, maybe some bady steps, would be to mention the issue.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:

I understand the skepticism from internet strangers about some topics, issues etc. but what about the state of the City of Cleveland creates doubt on this topic? You yourself suggested relocating to Cincinnati due to CLE's ghetto-ness. You lived in and now live in areas that were very stable. W 140/Triskett used to be very stable. Now, not so much as you know first-hand.

Given the conditions you yourself see and live with, esp the relocation option, why would you doubt any points about how CLE got to where it is today? What exactly isn't true or evokes skepticism?

Old 07-02-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
What exactly do these neighborhoods need money so desperately for? Jobs? What job skills do the residents' of these neighborhoods have? What employers want to locate in and hire from these communities?
Well the biggest thing affecting alot of Cleveland neighborhoods is the crime. I say start there first. Maybe put the money toward expanding the police force, furthering their training, maybe installing more police cameras, basically any sort of crime prevention measures. possibly even put officers on the ground in these neighborhoods or on bicycles? IDK.... maybe even invest in alternative crime prevention such as mentorship programs? Whatever it takes really.... then of course the infrastructure such as the roads and public water pipes need some work. Plenty of dilapidated houses around the city that need demolition too. I know that the city has been slowly working on that issue as many more seem to keep popping up. It's always nice to keep the blight at bay. Maybe look into a bit of infill in some of the MANY vacant lots? there's plenty of stuff that the city needs in addition to more jobs.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I understand the skepticism from internet strangers about some topics, issues etc. but what about the state of the City of Cleveland creates doubt on this topic? You yourself suggested relocating to Cincinnati due to CLE's ghetto-ness. You lived in and now live in areas that were very stable. W 140/Triskett used to be very stable. Now, not so much as you know first-hand.

Given the conditions you yourself see and live with, esp the relocation option, why would you doubt any points about how CLE got to where it is today? What exactly isn't true or evokes skepticism?
You were rattling off all sorts of things about Jeff Johnson's career, education, etc. and I was just kind of curious how anybody would really know all this stuff??? I didn't realize it was all listed on his website lol. Sometimes on the internet it can be difficult to differentiate between facts and hearsay, that's all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland