Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:34 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Oh, but Ohio is ranked within the top five for percentage of people who smoke... So there's that.
We all can't be ranked high and be beloved like your precious Chicago lol .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Trust me, they do. Way more.
As I said, three of those cities have experienced growth so they get a pass in some way by the media. Ohio does not get that kind of leeway in anything. Plus, you don't hear about their political issues plastered on CD. or in the national media like Ohio or Cleveland.

But, on the subject at hand, if I were mayor I would work getting funding to extend public transportation because to many people here in Cleveland are too cliquey and only want to stay within a 3-block radius of their neighborhoods, inner city and suburbs. At least, it's not like that in your (sarcastically) beloved Boston. And, work on making areas safer for all Clevelanders (yes, suburbanites you are a part of Cleveland whether you like it or not).

Old 11-27-2018, 04:48 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Dude, you just use every flaw about Cleveland politics to play political football. You don't give two (you know whats) about the city. "My team is better than your team." Plus, people like Lance Moore is about to get what's coming to them just like Jimmy Dimora and Frank Russo.
You’re comparing what Lance Mason did to dimora\Russo?

If you think Mason is a flaw, like Fudge stating what Mason did to the wife in 2014 a mistake, what is considered more than a flaw or mistake to you and Cleveland?

Considering that you didn’t even know there was an open connection and close friendship between mason and Fudge, you may not want to throw rocks at people for not giving a sh$t about the city. Also, don’t get the my team is better than your team reference.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
As I said, three of those cities have experienced growth so they get a pass in some way by the media. Ohio does not get that kind of leeway in anything. Plus, you don't hear about their political issues plastered on CD. or in the national media like Ohio or Cleveland.

But, on the subject at hand, if I were mayor I would work getting funding to extend public transportation because to many people here in Cleveland are too cliquey and only want to stay within a 3-block radius of their neighborhoods, inner city and suburbs. At least, it's not like that in your (sarcastically) beloved Boston. And, work on making areas safer for all Clevelanders (yes, suburbanites you are a part of Cleveland whether you like it or not).
Um, how does the mayor get transit funding and how would extending it bring about ending local cliques?

Old 11-27-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
You’re comparing what Lance Mason did to dimora\Russo?

If you think Mason is a flaw, like Fudge stating what Mason did to the wife in 2014 a mistake, I wonder what is considered being more than a flaw or mistake for you and Cleveland?
There you go taking my words out of context again. Where are Dimora and Russo? They aren't in their lavish homes. There in the same place the Moore is about to go for life. All three of them committed crimes (no matter how big or small), they're now criminals and they've been and (in Moore's case) are going to be punished to fullest extent of the law. You don't get passes on the wrists for murder and Federal bribery (unless you're a Kennedy lol). If you have deep-seeded issues with Cleveland politics; start your own post or write a blog.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:40 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
As I said, they all get more criticism than Ohio. Also, nationally, I never hear anything about Cleveland's political issues. I really have no idea how you think you know this stuff. I do know that the constant looking for something to woe-is-me about is annoying an unproductive.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
There you go taking my words out of context again. Where are Dimora and Russo? They aren't in their lavish homes. There in the same place the Moore is about to go for life. All three of them committed crimes (no matter how big or small), they're now criminals and they've been and (in Moore's case) are going to be punished to fullest extent of the law. You don't get passes on the wrists for murder and Federal bribery (unless you're a Kennedy lol). If you have deep-seeded issues with Cleveland politics; start your own post or write a blog.
You may not get a slap on the wrist for murder, but in Cleveland city hall you get set up and enabled by the u.s. house rep and mayor for beating the sh$t outta your wife in front of little kids....then you murder your wife in front of your little kids.

This is hardly a deep seated issue with Cleveland politics; it’s a very on the surface disgrace directly involving, among others, the mayor of Cleveland. Perhaps you should have read the title of this thread before making that last point.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:12 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
A few things—

I’d get rid of parking minimums for all new construction in the greater downtown area. They are unnecessary given the state of downtown and they add a burden to construction of new buildings unnecessarily. Let market forces dictate to builders how much parking they want or need.

I’d push for East Cleveland to be annexed, possibly after a scheduled bankruptcy first before annexation. It does Cleveland no good to have the cancerous growth of crime and poverty at its borders and have little control of it especially in proximity of some good Cleveland neighborhoods.

In neighborhoods with a particularly large portions of urban prairie, create a plan that consolidates as much residential/commercial within more intact blocks and to have merged larger blank parcels to be turned into parkspace. Go for state, federal, nonprofit and private partnership/sponsorship to create as much after school / sunmer school programming as possible.

It’s a non-starter now, but I’d push for starting a plan for city county consolidation so that when conditions are better (generally happens when the primary city of a county is overall better off than the average of the county outside of the primary city), then there’s an actionable plan and framework. Meanwhile, push for consolidation of city/county services as much as possible.

Digitize as much of the bureaucratic functions of the city as possible. Make it easy to do basic procedures or to look up information in regards to the city online when advisable.

Cheerlead Cleveland as much as possible instead of being a negative Nancy and try to make that the operating attitude within the administration. Do targeted advertising towards currently rent-absurd parts of the country such as the Bay Area, Boston, DC, and NYC.

Push state and federal agencies for funding of infrastructure projects within Cleveland and have plans for such developed as shovel-ready and a system and schedule for maintaining these plans as shovel-ready so when favorable funding conditions arise, Cleveland is ready to apply. This is especially for the bevy of rail lines that go through Cleveland—it’d be targeting a push towards the creation of the Ohio 3C rail hub as well as daylight runs of the Pittsburgh via Youngstown rail as an extension of the current Keystone service in Pennsylvania. It's also plans for eventually decking over and/or trenching the freeways and rail lines cutting off the lakefront--this doesn't mean getting it done immediately, but forming the basis for the plans so when and if funding is available, it can be acted upon. Same with expansion of the light rail system. Cleveland does not make enough longitudinal plans and it means not having an idea of what to work towards. Making a roadmap of some kind helps.

Move to close Burke Lakefront Airport and to turn it into mostly parkland with some commercial development immediately adjacent to the light rail stations.

Expand the LED lightswitching initiative so that there is a procedure that makes the switch whenever an older light goes out.

Push for CSU to become a research institution via private partnerships and trying to develop particular notable STEMs talent within the faculty in order to attract research funding.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-28-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 10:05 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
I guess I'm in the wrong sector of public service. Maybe I should get into politics lol JK .
No, not politics, just upper management at a city, county, or state office. Those are the best jobs available outside of owning your own business (like I do). Those government workers dont have to campaign to run for office. They just get the job, and squat in it for 20-30 years, and they are instant Millionaires (if they are good with money).

Federal pay averages $85,000 last time I looked, so that aint bad either, but most of those are in Wash DC where I dont care to live.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:19 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
If I were running for Mayor, I'd slash costs so I could reduce taxes/fees. I was transferred to Ohio early in my career with a large well know Fortune 500, and was given a $20,000 raise. After the 1st year ended, the $20,000 was totally eaten up by incremental taxes/fees versus the State I left (Florida).

I immediately called my old boss in Florida, and said get me the heck out of here (Ohio), and I told him about the taxes eating up my raise. He got me out of there pronto. The company soon thereafter shut down the Ohio branch, and never returned.

Ohio's taxes are crushing to well-educated (MBA) upwardly mobile strivers like me. After leaving Ohio, I went on to start a multi-million dollar international advertising business based out of my new state, so Ohio lost out on that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland