Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:11 AM

840 posts, read 760,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
25% of households have no car. That's not an insignificant amount.
(Vehicles per household for each Ohio city, census estimates | cleveland.com)

Most CMSD students also rely on RTA buses to commute to and from school.

RTA is currently in a traditional death spiral. Ridership is declining because funding and access are declining, which causes ridership to decline further.
Yes it does seem to be in a death spiral yet prices are due to increase next year. I still think if there was more frequent service there'd be more riders because it would be more efficient. Some of the routes are so long and they could possibly have only some of the buses do the whole route with the others doing just part of it so there would be more frequent trips - or at least running more frequently during peak times. Probably not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
Ohio has some of the lowest transit funding in the country. It's nearly impossible to compare it to a network like Seattle's where more funding is more accessible. (https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...t-funding.html)

I would like to see an ORCA card setup, though. However, I was also told that a lot of the contracts for transit system tap cards are nearing the end of the term, so I think it's possible mobile-based fares are really the future and not tap cards.
Why is the funding so low? I forgot about the mobile-based fares...I don't like using them but maybe that is where it's heading.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
lol that's funny! Better watch out kamms. George is going to " kick your ass" for posting that!
Back to topic. 1. Jobs, jobs, jobs
2. Crime. Hire more police. Besides high violent crime in the usual neighborhoods, police need to do a better job of keeping the new gentrified/developing areas under control. Ie- East bank of the flats has had trouble with rowdies, racing motorcycles and even a punk 4- wheeler. Not to mention packs of roving illegal riders all over the streets and the cops do nothing. The flats were ruined once by crime and it can easily happen again if the small problems are addressed.
3. Poverty,abandoned houses,litter,etc.. the problems are endless and easily cover half the city. Cleveland literally needs a 24/7 group of block residents for EVERY block in the city. Imo The only ones that can turn around these neighborhoods are the residents themselves.
I agree that Cleveland needs to address crime and poverty. If I was running, I would purpose more police in the street, but I would also encourage officers to interact with the communities they police as well to get to know the residents, and don't assume that all people live in a bad neighborhood are of that neighborhood. I would bring back the old Neighborhood Police Station, the mini-stations that were in neighborhoods. As far as the motor bike riders, I'm in the minority, but I actually support the ramp being built because it'll give them somewhere safe to do what they like to do instead being out in the streets endangering themselves or other people. Because not all of them are not criminals. The only thing law I would put in is they have to get a license and insurance just like you have to do with a car.

The vacant houses and land I would offer tax incentives, tax breaks or even low property taxes to the owners that rebuild the houses or build new houses or businesses. And, yes, Cleveland residents should have block groups, I would say get the business owners involve but I'm not sure they would want to get involve because a lot businesses are owned by people who don't live in the neighborhoods they do business in.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 PM

378 posts, read 341,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
The vacant houses and land I would offer tax incentives, tax breaks or even low property taxes to the owners that rebuild the houses or build new houses or businesses. And, yes, Cleveland residents should have block groups, I would say get the business owners involve but I'm not sure they would want to get involve because a lot businesses are owned by people who don't live in the neighborhoods they do business in.
It's very unfortunate that Cleveland's orgy of tax abatement basically skips over people who want to restore housing stock. It causes some houses to languish in areas like mine where there isn't much free land for new tax-abated construction but there are a lot of average houses that could use 40-50k in renovations.

In regard to block groups, these generally do exist in a lot of places. Ohio City and Detroit-Shoreway are pretty covered. Slavic Village and North Collinwood are increasing the numbers of active residents. I think they have a decent amount of active ones out in West Park/Puritas/etc. There are also merchant associations for W25th, Gordon Square, Clifton, and Madison. The Madison one sort of died out, though Cleveland Lumber does a great job of keeping that street looking decent.

I don't know how directly this trend translates to the East Side outside of UC, but I know parts of Glenville like East Blvd have strong resident networks which is a lot of the reason they look so good.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
RTA should also implement the re-loadable monthly pass rather than having new ones every month, IMO.
Or just a simple "smart card" to which you can add whatever amount of money you wish, whenever you like, and just pay as you go for what you use. That worked great for me in Chicago. This system of all-day pass, seven-day pass, one-month pass is too burdensome for someone like me who uses RTA only sporadically. And paying cash doesn't work in the current system because there is no provision for transfers.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Or just a simple "smart card" to which you can add whatever amount of money you wish, whenever you like, and just pay as you go for what you use. That worked great for me in Chicago. This system of all-day pass, seven-day pass, one-month pass is too burdensome for someone like me who uses RTA only sporadically. And paying cash doesn't work in the current system because there is no provision for transfers.
Yes...the Orca card in Seattle and Charlie card in Boston (as well as others I'm sure) offer that feature. Then you don't have to worry about having the right change, it's faster when boarding and it's registered so if you lose it I think it can be cancelled and re-issued without losing money.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
All these alternatives sound great. Maybe someday.

Until then have you ever tried the five ride pass? I buy several at the supermarket at once. You get five rides that's one ride each with unlimited transfers on each ride for two and a half hours. You can keep them unused for a year maybe more. The expiration dates are on the card.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:53 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Until then have you ever tried the five ride pass? I buy several at the supermarket at once. You get five rides that's one ride each with unlimited transfers on each ride for two and a half hours. You can keep them unused for a year maybe more. The expiration dates are on the card.
Hmmm... I wasn't aware of that option. Just looked it up on the RTA website and it sounds like it might be the best option for me. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Hmmm... I wasn't aware of that option. Just looked it up on the RTA website and it sounds like it might be the best option for me. Thanks for sharing!
You're very welcome. These suit me just fine because I don't use RTA on a regular basis.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Ok now I think I'm ready for the Mayor to ban smoking in most public spaces and impose fines for not obeying! With actual enforcement. I was outside in Playhouse Square park for about an hour and left all stuffed up from breathing in cigarette smoke. Yuk. Then another day, sitting outside at Heinen's two people started smoking on their patio. Cleveland is pretty bad in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland