Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Maybe but I doubt it. But, three out of the four states have a lot of people moving there; it hasn't deterred them. There having significant population growth. Ohio seems to be painted as the poster child of losing population from the media to Ohio expats. Plus, I hear nothing but good things about New Jersey and Alabama, it gets a good amount of hype as the new hot spots to move to. How do these states get ripped on more than Ohio?
Trust me, they do. Way more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Yanno, going over the gripes people have here which I am assuredly I am in no way saying are not valid, reminds me of back when I was living in Portland trying to determine where my next move would be.

I read threads like these for many cities to see just what the gripes were thinking I could find a place that had the fewest problems. Well guess what? That never happened. Just about every city had the same problems. It seems to go with the territory. Those that didn't have as many were those I couldn't afford but they certainly weren't exempt of all woes.

So I decided the heck with it. I'll just go with a city that offered what I could afford and enjoyed. Cleveland fit the bill. As far as the problems go, I'll cast my vote at every election and hope for the best.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:49 AM

25,722 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Ohio is ranked worst in something by the national media while Florida is praised. Cleveland being the shining example of what an American city shouldn't be. Hell, Columbus and Cincinnati gets more higher remarks and national media love than Cleveland. What else is new? Ohio is the country's whipping boy for everything bad and what's wrong with America. And, Florida is what's right about America. LOL!

I agree that pension double dipping should be outlawed. Most of these politicians made enough money while they were in office. They have pretty good pensions and great health benefits compared to other city workers. They shouldn't try to become millionaires off of the taxpayers.
Here's another way city, county, and state upper management rips off taxpayers...

They give themselves tons of Holidays, sick days, vacation days, maternity/paterity, flex days, ect.. Too many to actually use and still get anything done. So, through the years, they are allowed to "bank" or accrue those days year after year. 20 years later, they might have banked/accrued 365 days. When they leave or retire, they get paid for those 365 days...at the CURRENT PAY RATE! So, if they were making $24,000/yr 20 years ago, and $240,000 now, they walk out the door with $240,000! Plus the pension if they earned that.

In Gwinnett County Georgia, a County Manager walked away with $1,200,000 this way. He accrued over 2 years of unused time off, and he was making $600,000/yr as the County's CFO. I read about it in the Gwinnett Post newspaper, and was outraged. Nothing was ever done, and it continues today. Not just there though.

This practice is rampant throughout city, county, and state governments everywhere, mostly at the higher management level, like a Parks & Recreation Supervisor type position. This is kept out of the news for the most part. If you saw the comp package the top people in the City of Cleveland, Cayohoga County, and the State of Ohio are contracted under, it would enrage you too.

No Mayor's going to stop this gravy train..or County Commissioner, or Governor. The rank and file's comp package is average at best however, and they have no employment contracts either, unless they belong to a Union, and then the Union acts as their employment contract.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Here's another way city, county, and state upper management rips off taxpayers...

They give themselves tons of Holidays, sick days, vacation days, maternity/paterity, flex days, ect.. Too many to actually use and still get anything done. So, through the years, they are allowed to "bank" or accrue those days year after year. 20 years later, they might have banked/accrued 365 days. When they leave or retire, they get paid for those 365 days...at the CURRENT PAY RATE! So, if they were making $24,000/yr 20 years ago, and $240,000 now, they walk out the door with $240,000! Plus the pension if they earned that.

In Gwinnett County Georgia, a County Manager walked away with $1,200,000 this way. He accrued over 2 years of unused time off, and he was making $600,000/yr as the County's CFO. I read about it in the Gwinnett Post newspaper, and was outraged. Nothing was ever done, and it continues today. Not just there though.

This practice is rampant throughout city, county, and state governments everywhere, mostly at the higher management level, like a Parks & Recreation Supervisor type position. This is kept out of the news for the most part. If you saw the comp package the top people in the City of Cleveland, Cayohoga County, and the State of Ohio are contracted under, it would enrage you too.

No Mayor's going to stop this gravy train..or County Commissioner, or Governor. The rank and file's comp package is average at best however, and they have no employment contracts either, unless they belong to a Union, and then the Union acts as their employment contract.
I guess I'm in the wrong sector of public service. Maybe I should get into politics lol JK .

Last edited by QCongress83216; 11-27-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 12:19 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reioh View Post
Reducing crime would be top of my list. It will be difficult to attract talent and businesses without safe streets.
Reducing the criminal presence working in Cleveland city hall is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

http://s.cleveland.com/mFRmvZc

Old 11-27-2018, 12:53 PM

14,678 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Quote:
Maybe but I doubt it. But, three out of the four states have a lot of people moving there; it hasn't deterred them. There having significant population growth. Ohio seems to be painted as the poster child of losing population from the media to Ohio expats. Plus, I hear nothing but good things about New Jersey and Alabama, it gets a good amount of hype as the new hot spots to move to. How do these states get ripped on more than Ohio?
Much of Ohio’s reputation is deserved. Not only for the manufacturing decline, but the socially backward/regressive nature of the people (especially outside Cleveland and Columbus). A state where educated people continue to leave, those left behind are either too poor to move or are retired and don’t want to be taxed for QOL improvements like parks or schools, and the last to implement any progressive reforms in the state (Michigan legalized weed this month while Ohio overwhelmingly rejected decriminalizing simple possession of drugs).

Old 11-27-2018, 01:49 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Dude, this has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Stick to the subject and leave your personal politics out of it.

Last edited by Kamms; 11-27-2018 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 03:09 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
Quote:
Ohio is ranked worst in something by the national media while Florida is praised. Cleveland being the shining example of what an American city shouldn't be. Hell, Columbus and Cincinnati gets more higher remarks and national media love than Cleveland. What else is new? Ohio is the country's whipping boy for everything bad and what's wrong with America. And, Florida is what's right about America. LOL!
Oh, but Ohio is ranked within the top five for percentage of people who smoke... So there's that.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Much of Ohio’s reputation is deserved. Not only for the manufacturing decline, but the socially backward/regressive nature of the people (especially outside Cleveland and Columbus). A state where educated people continue to leave, those left behind are either too poor to move or are retired and don’t want to be taxed for QOL improvements like parks or schools, and the last to implement any progressive reforms in the state (Michigan legalized weed this month while Ohio overwhelmingly rejected decriminalizing simple possession of drugs).
Yeah, you make some good points. I don't know why people outside of Cleveland and Columbus have such conservative thinking. It seems like those people have such a staunch pro-Trump stance. I say it needs to have more of a balance not staunch conservative like Texas or staunch liberal like California but balance some both ideas can come together for a greater goal. Just like I wish Cleveland and suburban mayors would come together, but those people in the suburbs have the attitude of "We can do fine without Cleveland" for socioeconomic and racial reasons. But, on the flip side (and maybe you don't understand it) I don't want Ohio to be the constant whipping boy to the national media just so they can say, "At least we're not them."

Old 11-27-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Dude, this has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Stick to the subject and leave your personal politics out of it.
Dude, you just use every flaw about Cleveland politics to play political football. You don't give two (you know whats) about the city. "My team is better than your team." Plus, people like Lance Moore is about to get what's coming to them just like Jimmy Dimora and Frank Russo.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 11-27-2018 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland