Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:35 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Well, this is the first big city I've lived in where it seems to pop up in many places and it's hard to be sanguine about it. In other cities there were areas you knew to avoid but here it seems it could happen in or near places that seem or are considered safe. I'm not used to this.

Here is another neighborhood to avoid if you are not familiar with.
In Cleveland's Glenville, some treat daily gunfire as just a noise nuisance: Phillip Morris | cleveland.com

Old 07-09-2017, 06:43 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I agree that violent crime can occur anywhere, but the Edgewater shooting and other shootings in downtown and Ohio City should be a call to action. If Cleveland wants to takes its near west side gentrification to the next level, it will have to provide a safer environment. It would be wrong to accept these crimes as part of city living, they're crimes that are threatening peoples lives and real estate investments (lets be real.) Nothing gives credence to suburban living like a shooting at Edgewater or Ohio City or downtown. I think the public housing along Division St. and W. 25th should be torn down. The large, ugly IMO, Riverview towers along W. 25th should be taken down also. Cleveland needs to achieve the "perception of safety" in downtown, in OC, and all the way up to Cudell. It can do this if it does what other city's have done, remove crime ridden public housing, provide community policing, and promote gentrification.

P.S. Many times when I suggest selectively removing public housing in favor of gentrification, I get blasted by people that say "where are you going to put them". My answer is: "don't know, not my job", but I'm sure somebody can figure it out.

Public housing concentrates poverty, which concentrates crime. Most cities are tearing down large-scale public housing complexes and scattering those residents across the cities in much smaller developments or single-unit housing. Many of them were given vouchers or other means to find other housing, including in overall better neighborhoods.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:52 AM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Yikes...Thank you. I had to check on map to see where it is. I see it borders U Circle and Bratenahl which I thought are both nice safe areas. It's so easy to stray into a dangerous area and not realize it. Is Harvard/Lee ok?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Public housing concentrates poverty, which concentrates crime. Most cities are tearing down large-scale public housing complexes and scattering those residents across the cities in much smaller developments or single-unit housing. Many of them were given vouchers or other means to find other housing, including in overall better neighborhoods.
Hmmm....does that lessen crime or just spread it around?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:23 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Hmmm....does that lessen crime or just spread it around?
Spreads it around.

This was my point in another thread. Neighborhoods and suburbs that didn't see much crime, esp. armed robberies, are now seeing it. You've seen CLE east side; many of those folks are now on the west side and its western suburbs. Section 8 Housing throughout the west side and the suburbs. As most of the west side population declines, the property owners welcome Section 8 money.

Why do you think Lorain Co. is seeing a population gain? Lorain Co. is west of and adjacent to Cuyahoga Co.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Spreads it around.

This was my point in another thread. Neighborhoods and suburbs that didn't see much crime, esp. armed robberies, are now seeing it. You've seen CLE east side; many of those folks are now on the west side and its western suburbs. Section 8 Housing throughout the west side and the suburbs. As most of the west side population declines, the property owners welcome Section 8 money.

Why do you think Lorain Co. is seeing a population gain? Lorain Co. is west of and adjacent to Cuyahoga Co.
So are you saying that Lorain Co. is relatively safe and people are moving there from Cuyahoga?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
It also seems to me that crime just spreads around when public housing spreads around. It's insane how many able bodied people have never lived anywhere but public housing. This is quite an uphill battle, but one Cleveland desperately needs to address.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:32 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
So are you saying that Lorain Co. is relatively safe and people are moving there from Cuyahoga?
Yep, pretty much. Lorain/Elyria may have some sketchy areas but Lorain County, especially places like Avon, are seeing lots of western Cuyahoga County refugees.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Yep, pretty much. Lorain/Elyria may have some sketchy areas but Lorain County, especially places like Avon, are seeing lots of western Cuyahoga County refugees.
And Lake County is ok?

Old 07-09-2017, 09:09 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Well under the "this could happen anywhere" category I could mention how some friends of mine in Portland were sitting on their couch in their house in their living room in their very nice Portland neighborhood when a bullet came flying through their window embedding itself in the wall just above their heads.

The cops determined the bad guys had been chasing other bad guys and had driven far out of their own neighborhood. Maybe they were lost, maybe the chase-ees didn't think the chase-ers would follow them there. The stray bullet as a result unfortunately found my friend's upscale address. Fortunately no one was hurt.

I'm sorry to say it's just a big scary world wherever you may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland