Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,749 times

Advertisements

I'm coming up this weekend with a couple friends from NC for the Browns game, but Friday we're planning to Uber to the Rock Hall at opening time and then take a walk over to West Side Market before ending up at the Indians game that night.

I'm originally from Akron, I'm up at least a couple times a year to visit family and either catch a Browns or Indians game, so I know most of the sights pretty well, but this will be my first time going to the Rock Hall and I've never walked from that area to West Side Market. I plan on stopping into Tower City and the Arcade along the walk and we're all big craft beer nuts so we'll stop in a couple breweries/bars while we head that way as well.

So, I'm looking for any breweries/bars or other places I definitely have to stop in before getting to the Ohio City Market area. Keep in mind that we'll be at the Rock Hall that morning and spending some time around Ohio City before heading to the Indians game... so long stops aren't going to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 02:20 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
The famed Great Lakes Brewery is one block from the West Side Market, and next to the West Side Market is the very good Market Garden Brewery.

The Butcher and the Brewer is on East 4th St., a good destination for a walk from the Rock Hall to Tower City.

The Butcher and the Brewer

Read through this thread, especially post 6, where the linked thread has a trip report in its post 27 by a brewery aficionado of many Cleveland area breweries, including several downtown.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ctivities.html

See also this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...-11-visit.html

Tailgating:

The Best Browns tailgate and watch party spots | Cleveland, OH

Old 09-04-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksinnc View Post
I'm coming up this weekend with a couple friends from NC for the Browns game, but Friday we're planning to Uber to the Rock Hall at opening time and then take a walk over to West Side Market before ending up at the Indians game that night.

I'm originally from Akron, I'm up at least a couple times a year to visit family and either catch a Browns or Indians game, so I know most of the sights pretty well, but this will be my first time going to the Rock Hall and I've never walked from that area to West Side Market. I plan on stopping into Tower City and the Arcade along the walk and we're all big craft beer nuts so we'll stop in a couple breweries/bars while we head that way as well.

So, I'm looking for any breweries/bars or other places I definitely have to stop in before getting to the Ohio City Market area. Keep in mind that we'll be at the Rock Hall that morning and spending some time around Ohio City before heading to the Indians game... so long stops aren't going to work.
Where are you guys staying? Consider buying day passes for Friday, as you likely don't want to walk both to the West Side Market and back. The West 25th Red Line station is across the street from the West Side Market. Perhaps take the Waterfront Line to the Rock Hall, or check out the free bus trolley system.

Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority | Public transit provider for Cleveland and Cuyahoga County, Ohio

Activity at the West Side Market will fall off after 3 p.m. on Friday, with some booths closing. So get to the West Side Market quickly. Take the Waterfront Line to Tower City and the Red Line to the West 25th St. station. The Waterfront Line goes through the East Flats entertainment district.

Walk back from the West Side Market to downtown using the Hope Memorial Bridge (just walk east on Lorain Blvd. past the rapid station; the pedestrian walkway is on the north side of the bridge).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Memorial_Bridge

Don't miss The Arcade, which runs between Superior and Euclid Ave. It's mostly the Hyatt Hotel, with the Euclid entrance across from East 4th St.

Check out the U.S.S. Cod and the Steamship Mather when in the vicinity of the Rock Hall. Both are exceptional maritime museums.

Have fun!

Old 09-04-2017, 02:55 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,431 times
Visiting this week.  Breweries and other must sees during walk from Rock Hall to West Side Market-cleveland-downtown-breweries1.png

See the picture of downtown breweries - at least most of them, some of the newer ones are not listed, most notably Collision Bend brewing in the East Bank of the Flats district. Also, Thirsty dog Brewing is opening in the East Bank soon. If you want to walk from the RRHOF to Ohio City, consider walking along Columbus Road. It is scenic and there are some nice breweries along the way. Try Brick and Barrel. Also try Collision Bend (its just down the road from Coastal Taco and it is right on the river.) Once in Ohio City, visit GLBC if you have not been there, or even if you have, it is a classic and the brews are great - particularly if they are serving one of their experimentals. I also highly recommend Hansa House for Pilsener and the food is pretty good. There are plenty of good places to get food, I'm sure you'll find something close by when you're hungry. Also, Masthead brewing on the east side of downtown (see the picture) is pretty good and the pizza is great. Also, keep in mind the downtown trolleys are free, there is a water taxi that can get you across the river at Coastal Taco - in case you need it. As mentioned above, the Red Line and Waterfront Lines are also good options, particularly if you want to go further away from downtown. But if the weather is nice and you're reasonably fit, I highly recommend walking - and again, consider Columbus Road to get over to the West Side Market / Ohio City area. Have fun.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:09 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,431 times
One other note on breweries. I do like Hansa House for their Pilsener and Lager, just classic, German style Lager can be quite refreshing and not too heavy. I have not been to NobleBeast Brewing or Forest City Brewing, so if you go, let us know what you think. Platform Brewing is also quite good and they usually have a food service available for easy eats.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,749 times
Thanks for the Columbus Rd. recommendation, it sounds like just what we're looking for!

We're actually staying in Independence. Taking an Uber from there early Friday and another back to the hotel after the Indians game. I've been to GLBC several times, but that's the only brewery I've stepped foot in downtown... normally I'm driving up from staying with family in Barberton/Akron, so drinking a bunch when I need to drive back down there is not an option. It's the first time I'll be staying close enough to spend a day up there like this AND I'm bringing two people who have never been to Cleveland, so I'm pretty excited to have a day to walk around instead of my normal quick visit to either a game or West Side Market/GLBC.

And I'll be sure to pass on any info if we stop at either of those Breweries.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:34 PM

I wouldn't miss the Hope Memorial Bridge if you want views of the downtown skyline and views of the Flats from high above. If you're going to walk both ways and use Columbus Road going to the West Side Market, that should work well. I'm not certain I would want to be on Columbus Road as it was getting dark, but I haven't used it in many, many years.

If you do use Columbus Road, Merwin's Wharf may interest you for an opportunity to view the traffic on the Cuyahoga River.

https://clevelandmetroparks.com/park...merwin-s-wharf

Old 09-05-2017, 07:50 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
For Breweries:

Masthead and Noble Beast are great. I am also a fan of Collision Bend, especially its location right on the river. Nano Brew on W 25th is good, I think it has the best outside seating at least. And food is solid.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Platform Brewery in Ohio City is a must IMO

The downstairs seating area of Great Lake Brewery is always a classic with the cellar feel to it. You may even be able to get in on a brewery tour (Fridays and Saturdays only): https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/brewery-tours

Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Attachment 189846

See the picture of downtown breweries - at least most of them, some of the newer ones are not listed, most notably Collision Bend brewing in the East Bank of the Flats district. Also, Thirsty dog Brewing is opening in the East Bank soon. If you want to walk from the RRHOF to Ohio City, consider walking along Columbus Road. It is scenic and there are some nice breweries along the way. Try Brick and Barrel. Also try Collision Bend (its just down the road from Coastal Taco and it is right on the river.) Once in Ohio City, visit GLBC if you have not been there, or even if you have, it is a classic and the brews are great - particularly if they are serving one of their experimentals. I also highly recommend Hansa House for Pilsener and the food is pretty good. There are plenty of good places to get food, I'm sure you'll find something close by when you're hungry. Also, Masthead brewing on the east side of downtown (see the picture) is pretty good and the pizza is great. Also, keep in mind the downtown trolleys are free, there is a water taxi that can get you across the river at Coastal Taco - in case you need it. As mentioned above, the Red Line and Waterfront Lines are also good options, particularly if you want to go further away from downtown. But if the weather is nice and you're reasonably fit, I highly recommend walking - and again, consider Columbus Road to get over to the West Side Market / Ohio City area. Have fun.

From your map -- how is Hansa Haus Brewing? Never been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland