Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,502 times

Advertisements

I remember my parents going there every saturday to shop and eat...It was soo much fun...That place was hoping in the seventies...The place is a freakin' eye sore now....anyway I found this..Hope you all like it

Ted Knight - Southgate USA Commercials from the late 1970s! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
I grew up in Maple Heights and remember Southgate in its heydey. We loved the oriental restaurant down by what was then May Company, Teddys too up by the cinema. We would walk up to go to Hough Bakery. And play the mini golf. And later go to the roller skating rink (it wasnt originally there, it opened later, I forget what was originally in its place.) We would also go to the video game arcade.

Sadly the whole area dramatically changed, and not for the better. Randall Mall was the beginning of the end for Southgate. I even remember when Randall first opened. Now even that has gone under and last time I was there was an absolute eyesore.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I grew up in Maple Heights and remember Southgate in its heydey. We loved the oriental restaurant down by what was then May Company, Teddys too up by the cinema. We would walk up to go to Hough Bakery. And play the mini golf. And later go to the roller skating rink (it wasnt originally there, it opened later, I forget what was originally in its place.) We would also go to the video game arcade.

Sadly the whole area dramatically changed, and not for the better. Randall Mall was the beginning of the end for Southgate. I even remember when Randall first opened. Now even that has gone under and last time I was there was an absolute eyesore.
It is an absolute eyesore....its really quite sad....this whole place has gone to poop, (for a lack of better words, lol)...Now what I heard, the Old Holiday Inn near randall park can't be torn down because its full of abestos....that's terrible

Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
It is an absolute eyesore....its really quite sad....this whole place has gone to poop, (for a lack of better words, lol)...Now what I heard, the Old Holiday Inn near randall park can't be torn down because its full of abestos....that's terrible
Surely it could be torn down - IF whomever wanted to tear it down was willing to pay for the clean up.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 PM

236 posts, read 461,868 times
They can demolish the old Holiday Inn... Trust me, they have protective gear that they can wear. It happens all the time. They need to get rid of all of it... I think investors are afraid to invest and turnaround the old South Gate and the vacant plazas in Bedford Heights. It's completely bare over there! I ride past it all the time. They're very modern in style, but there are NO stores over there.

I personally think investors are reluctant to invest in all of that, because of the element it will attract. Can you blame them? Although they're going to put slots machines in that old Thistledown. They really need to demolish Randall Park Mall, and turn it into a large parking lot.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I remember my parents going there every saturday to shop and eat...It was soo much fun...That place was hoping in the seventies...The place is a freakin' eye sore now....anyway I found this..Hope you all like it

Ted Knight - Southgate USA Commercials from the late 1970s! - YouTube
That video was the best!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
I remember the old Southgate when I was a kid. Everytime I would drove with my family out there, I felt like I was in a different city. The movie theatre, Coconuts, Home Town Buffet, etc. I was salty that it's been reduced to crap. Same with Randall Park Mall, I loved going there as a kid. But, unruly kids bought that mall down where people started being afraid to patronize the mall. I wish they would revitalize both so they can bring the old school vibe of the communities back.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCleveland#1 View Post
They can demolish the old Holiday Inn... Trust me, they have protective gear that they can wear. It happens all the time. They need to get rid of all of it... I think investors are afraid to invest and turnaround the old South Gate and the vacant plazas in Bedford Heights. It's completely bare over there! I ride past it all the time. They're very modern in style, but there are NO stores over there.

I personally think investors are reluctant to invest in all of that, because of the element it will attract. Can you blame them? Although they're going to put slots machines in that old Thistledown. They really need to demolish Randall Park Mall, and turn it into a large parking lot.
I can't blame anybody for wanting to leave here and not start a business...I hate to say this, but the whole area over there is turnng into a east cleveland...give it another year and a half

Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I can't blame anybody for wanting to leave here and not start a business...I hate to say this, but the whole area over there is turnng into a east cleveland...give it another year and a half
That area is turning into "Down the way", as we used to call it... All the rift-raft is migrating in that direction (if they haven't already). And downtown is moving in the direction of the new, up and coming place to live... Investors are putting their money back into Cleveland, not that area...

Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCleveland#1 View Post
That area is turning into "Down the way", as we used to call it... All the rift-raft is migrating in that direction (if they haven't already). And downtown is moving in the direction of the new, up and coming place to live... Investors are putting their money back into Cleveland, not that area...
Not only back into cleveland, but further east and the majority of the west side....(which is where Im moving in 7 months, 3days 2hours and 4 min, lololololol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland