Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 12:22 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I've long been under the impression that Clevelanders don't much like Columbus, either, at least on this forum- and in Cleveland.com articles.

There's little doubt that Cleveland is drafting a proposal for the project. There are going to be few cities that don't. They'd be kind of crazy not to, however unlikely being awarded it.
I don't have a problem with Columbus besides I never been there. Plus, you guys are getting the most national hype in Ohio right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 12:23 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I don't have a problem with Columbus besides I never been there. Plus, you guys are getting the most national hype in Ohio right now.
I am not sure about this. I get the feeling that Cleveland, even if negatively viewed, still gets way more press than any other city in Ohio.

I doubt most people could tell you much anything about Columbus at all.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I am not sure about this. I get the feeling that Cleveland, even if negatively viewed, still gets way more press than any other city in Ohio.

I doubt most people could tell you much anything about Columbus at all.

But, Columbus has been getting hype for the last few years as far as businesses and population growth.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:31 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
But, Columbus has been getting hype for the last few years as far as businesses and population growth.
I still bet that if you asked the average person about Columbus, OH, they would not know whether the city was growing or shrinking, businesses moving in or out, etc.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 3,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
As you mentioned on another site, the combined presence of Amazon and DHL will position CVG among the top freight airports in the world...
"The loss of the Delta Hub at CVG could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Cincinnati. The enormous unused capacity of the airport first landed it the DHL hub and now Amazon Prime. Freight operations will soon dwarf the combined UPS and FedEx hubs in Memphis and Louisville. In 10-20 years we could end up with much more e-commerce in Cincinnati than any other metro -- totally by chance."
With both Amazon and DHL in full swing, it's highly probably that CVG will become the world's busiest cargo airport; a brief analysis of the stats below will suggest why I say this. What's important is that Jeff Bezos also knows this. Everyone can draw their own conclusions how this will affect Cincinnati; it's pretty obvious to me.

Top 10 Busiest Cargo Airports in the World 2017 Statistics & Reports | AirlinesBox.com
Amazon's number one issue is attracting talent. Locating near a freight hub is not going to be a priority. Locating in a city where it can attract young tech talent will be a priority.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I still bet that if you asked the average person about Columbus, OH, they would not know whether the city was growing or shrinking, businesses moving in or out, etc.
You do make a good point.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:04 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
I don't hear anything about Columbus...pro or con. No image really...pro or con. Most people don't have a reaction other than maybe it is the capitol of Ohio...and Ohio, but Ohio will conjure up some negatives though.

I was in COL a few years ago for a wedding. Nothing great. It's shaped by millennials I guess and is a draw for other Ohio residents, mostly small town and suburban types.

All U.S. cities are getting dull and bland, especially the new growth ''new big'' cities.

Last edited by Kamms; 09-11-2017 at 01:20 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 01:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Eh, I would not be so sure of that anymore. I'm seeing it mentioned a LOT more in national articles. Maybe it's not as well-recognized yet, but it's certainly increasing.

And f you asked the average person about Cleveland, what would they know? I suspect none of the more recent positives, but rather its image as a shrinking Rust Belt city or the Cavs/Browns. I don't think public perception is necessarily a great benchmark, anyway.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I don't hear anything about Columbus...pro or con. No image really...pro or con. Most people don't have a reaction other than maybe it is the capitol of Ohio...and Ohio, but Ohio will conjure up some negatives though.

I was in COL a few years ago for a wedding. Nothing great. It's shaped by millennials I guess and is a draw for other Ohio residents, mostly small town and suburban types.

All U.S. cities are getting dull and bland, especially the new growth ''new big'' cities.

Millennials may not be your cup of tea, but they are the largest generation in history and they're going to have enormous influence long into the future. I am not sure it makes good sense for a city to ignore them or be resentful of what they're looking for. Cities are too economically competitive now, and the Amazon HQ search is just one example of that reality.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
As you mentioned on another site, the combined presence of Amazon and DHL will position CVG among the top freight airports in the world...
"The loss of the Delta Hub at CVG could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Cincinnati. The enormous unused capacity of the airport first landed it the DHL hub and now Amazon Prime. Freight operations will soon dwarf the combined UPS and FedEx hubs in Memphis and Louisville. In 10-20 years we could end up with much more e-commerce in Cincinnati than any other metro -- totally by chance."
With both Amazon and DHL in full swing, it's highly probably that CVG will become the world's busiest cargo airport; a brief analysis of the stats below will suggest why I say this. What's important is that Jeff Bezos also knows this. Everyone can draw their own conclusions how this will affect Cincinnati; it's pretty obvious to me.

Top 10 Busiest Cargo Airports in the World 2017 Statistics & Reports | AirlinesBox.com

The DHL hub, despite currently employing about 900 sorters and about 150 people in the office, is pretty small by global standards because it's only international. DHL abandoned its domestic business about five years ago and moved from Wilmington back to Cincinnati. Obviously the partnership with Amazon Prime Air will mean it will have a huge amount of domestic traffic once again.

DHL operates international hubs in just four cities -- Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Cincinnati, and NYC. The anomaly is that NYC business to and from Frankfurt has its own planes. So Cincinnati handles about 90% of the international traffic, but any NYC to/from Europe business goes between JFK and Frankfurt on its own planes and its own system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland