Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:35 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to a sports bar in Cleveland to watch a game in decades. I doubt if you'll find a decent, quiet sports bar during an Indians play-off game, and I'm not certain what is meant by "trendy" re: a sports bar.

I sometimes go to a local Winking Lizard or Harry Buffalo, both available downtown, to watch a game, and enjoy them immensely. Both are loaded with TVs, good beer and booze, and relatively good food with extensive menus. Both are Cleveland sports bar chains. As at most sports bars, the screens are muted, which annoys me. Perhaps call some selections and ask if they'll have the audio on for the Indians play-off games, if that is a concern.

The Thirsty Parrot next to Progressive Field has a reputation as a Tribe hang-out, but I've never been inside, and don't know what it's like when the Indians aren't downtown.

Here are a couple lists with reviews to consider.

https://www.yelp.com/search?start=0&...se_District%5D

Cleveland Indians fever: Bars, restaurants near Progressive Field | cleveland.com

Note the Clevelander is on many lists, but I've never been inside. Flannery's Pub is an option especially if you want some Irish grub with the game. ABC Tavern is in Ohio City, but again, have never visited.

The best sports bars to watch the Final Four in Greater Cleveland | cleveland.com

There may be watch parties at Progressive Field or even the Q.

If you want an upscale restaurant bar with screens, it's tough to beat the Blue Point Grille. It wouldn't be loud, but it closes at either 10 or 11 p.m.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-04-2017 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 08:07 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I haven't been to a sports bar in Cleveland to watch a game in decades. I doubt if you'll find a decent, quiet sports bar during an Indians play-off game, and I'm not certain what is meant by "trendy" re: a sports bar.

I sometimes go to a local Winking Lizard or Harry Buffalo, both available downtown, to watch a game, and enjoy them immensely. Both are loaded with TVs, good beer and booze, and relatively good food with extensive menus. Both are Cleveland sports bar chains. As at most sports bars, the screens are muted, which annoys me. Perhaps call some selections and ask if they'll have the audio on for the Indians play-off games, if that is a concern.

The Thirsty Parrot next to Progressive Field has a reputation as a Tribe hang-out, but I've never been inside, and don't know what it's like when the Indians aren't downtown.

Here are a couple lists with reviews to consider.

https://www.yelp.com/search?start=0&...se_District%5D

Cleveland Indians fever: Bars, restaurants near Progressive Field | cleveland.com

Note the Clevelander is on many lists, but I've never been inside. Flannery's Pub is an option especially if you want some Irish grub with the game. ABC Tavern is in Ohio City, but again, have never visited.

The best sports bars to watch the Final Four in Greater Cleveland | cleveland.com

There may be watch parties at Progressive Field or even the Q.

If you want an upscale restaurant bar with screens, it's tough to beat the Blue Point Grille. It wouldn't be loud, but it closes at either 10 or 11 p.m.
By "trendy" I basically mean the Flats, E4, W6, W25 or anywhere that has been visited by the Food Network or has over 100 yelp reviews. Not that these places are bad, but I don't want to mess with the crowd and the loud.

Thirsty Parrot is a wild place. I mean, it's fun, but I plan on going somewhere with my mid 60s parents.

Currently considering Goldhorn Brewery, Noble Beast, or Masthead.

If anyone wants to sell me there tickets on THursday or Friday for a bargain, get in touch!

Old 10-04-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Currently considering Goldhorn Brewery, Noble Beast, or Masthead.
Do these breweries have sufficient viewing screens for all seated patrons?

Old 10-04-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Do these breweries have sufficient viewing screens for all seated patrons?
Masthead certainly does. Watched Cavs playoff run there a few games. My parents just really like Goldhorn and Noble Beast.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Chicagoan here. If the Cubs can't win, I'm pulling for the Indians. A lot of us in the Windy City are. Great WS last year. A shame that either team had to lose.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Chicagoan here. If the Cubs can't win, I'm pulling for the Indians. A lot of us in the Windy City are. Great WS last year. A shame that either team had to lose.
Thanks for the support!

I'm pulling for the Cubs, or anybody, to beat the Dodgers, only partially because they are the only team with a better winning percentage than the Indians, and therefore hold the home field advantage in the World Series.

A re-match with the Cubs would be special.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Ended up at the game last night, Terrace Club standing room (watched the whole game from the bridge over the home run porch after a nice buffet inside). Wow what a game. Probably the best I've ever attended, maybe also the best I've ever seen.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ended up at the game last night, Terrace Club standing room (watched the whole game from the bridge over the home run porch after a nice buffet inside). Wow what a game. Probably the best I've ever attended, maybe also the best I've ever seen.
It was a classic. The MLB.com analysts spent 1 1/2 hours intricately analyzing the game with great enthusiasm, and this analysis actually was never boring. E.g., they spent 10 minutes on an infield on their set discussing the intricacies of pick-offs at second base and how both Gomes' throw and Lindor's lightning fast tag both were exceptional.

Legendary Cleveland sports analyst Bruce Drennan speculated after it was announced that Kluber was bounced to the game 2 start that there may be a physical problem with Kluber. Kluber's performance did not erase that concern.

This morning I'm wondering if the Indians can replace Encarnacion with Yandi Diaz for the remainder of the Yankees series. The Indians could use the right-handed bat as an alternative to Brantley, who went 0-5, replacing Encarnacion as the DH. I think replacing Diaz with Encarnacion is likely if permitted (I think it is).

Also, didn't you get tired standing for 13 innings??? Was anyone with you? How much did the standing room tickets cost you? Regardless, it was worth it. You'll likely never forget the experience, especially as you didn't bail when the Indians fell behind five runs; did you notice many fans, especially those in standing room areas, leaving?

Last edited by WRnative; 10-07-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Default NY press reacts

These are fun stories for Clevelanders. Note that New York sports columnists still are obsessed with midges? It's also interesting how the NYC flame-throwers attack the Yankees manager and players and give no respect to the Indians' incredible performances, especially for the very high caliber Gomes-to-Lindor pick-off at second base.

<<Exactly 10 years and one day after Joe Torre refused to ask umpires to halt a game when a swarm of microscopic bugs made a collective beeline from Lake Erie to the pitcher’s mound, feasting on (and ultimately freaking out) Joba Chamberlain, it seemed some of those old critters might have made a return appearance, settling instead in the nook of Joe Girardi’s brain that houses common sense.>>

Ten years later, Yankees part of another Cleveland horror story | New York Post

Yanks blow golden chance after blunder from unlikely source | New York Post

Wow! <<
Aroldis Chapman agrees with fan who calls Joe Girardi ‘a complete imbecile’

>>

Aroldis Chapman appears to endorse firing ‘imbecile’ Girardi | New York Post

<<The tiger is out now in the form of anti-Joe Girardi venom. Good grief, has the Yankees manager registered a worse game in his 10 years on the job? Whether you’re an error-of-omission (leaving in Chad Green and David Robertson too long) or error-of-commission (taking out CC Sabathia too soon) type, or whether you just want to see Lonnie Chisenhall’s sixth-inning hit-by-pitch challenged, Girardi checked all of the boxes....

What transpired here was unfathomable, unpredictable — and unassailable. It happened. The Yankees will have to live with the consequences.>>

Yankees turned off the Klubot, and it still wasn’t enough | New York Post

"Passing blame: 8 culprits"

Passing blame: 8 culprits for Yankees blowing Game 2 of ALDS | NJ.com

Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Default He has "major league balls"

Yes, that's what Francona said of his beloved "Little Cowboy."

<< And Josh Tomlin came in — I mean, he’s — I don’t know how else to say it. He’s got major league balls. That’s just the best way I can say it.”>>

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/in...had-everything

And there had been speculation that Tomlin wouldn't make the play-off roster. Then he posts three KOs in two innings of high pressure relief work. Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: