Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 PM

131 posts, read 298,282 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm making a transition in my career from a writer of nearly two decades to an administrative assistant. While I possess many of the skills and much of the experience of an administrative assistant, I lack the actual title. Given my lack of title and how competitive the job market is in general, I feel that networking offers my only chance of landing a job in this role.

However, I live in Vermilion and don't want to network nor work in downtown Cleveland for a number of reasons. I also simply can't afford the gas money to drive to Cleveland to network. I could probably afford to drive half an hour maximum from Vermilion in any given direction.

I'd greatly appreciate any information you can share about networking groups (including Meetup groups) and/or regular events that exist/occur near Vermilion. Networking is my only shot at making this career transition, so it's critical for me to find groups and/or events within a reasonable distance from home.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 AM

Hi, I'm bumping my post back up to the top, as I really need this information. Does anyone know of ANY groups and/or events within a 30 minute drive of Vermilion, in any direction? Thanks!

Old 11-15-2017, 09:46 AM

Bumping this post up again. I've searched on Meetup and I've only found a few groups outside of Cleveland proper. Does ANYONE have ANY information they'd be willing to share with me? Thank you!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:42 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Vermilion is a tough spot to be in for this. You're too far removed from Toledo or Cleveland for jobs there to really be viable unless you want to move. There's not even any big universities around you.

I'd try contacting Lorain Community College's Career Services

It says it's a free service to community members, not just students. And they also hold networking events and career fairs.

Also, "Administrative Assistant" seems like an unusually specific job you are shooting for. How come?

Old 11-22-2017, 02:16 PM

538 posts, read 659,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebu077 View Post
Hi all, I'm making a transition in my career from a writer of nearly two decades to an administrative assistant. While I possess many of the skills and much of the experience of an administrative assistant, I lack the actual title. Given my lack of title and how competitive the job market is in general, I feel that networking offers my only chance of landing a job in this role.

However, I live in Vermilion and don't want to network nor work in downtown Cleveland for a number of reasons. I also simply can't afford the gas money to drive to Cleveland to network. I could probably afford to drive half an hour maximum from Vermilion in any given direction.

I'd greatly appreciate any information you can share about networking groups (including Meetup groups) and/or regular events that exist/occur near Vermilion. Networking is my only shot at making this career transition, so it's critical for me to find groups and/or events within a reasonable distance from home.

Thank you in advance!
You can get to Cleveland in 30 minutes in some occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland