Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:23 PM

8 posts, read 127,331 times

Advertisements

Could you describe the atmosphere, type of people, weather, and anything else you can think of regarding Vermilion, OH based on your experiences?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 11:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Have you read this thread?

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ng-blacks.html

Old 01-21-2018, 12:06 AM

That is horrible. I cannot ever imagine not accepting other races and cultures.
I hope that situation is able to improve.

Does anyone have a positive experience with Vermilion?

Old 01-21-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novelwriter89 View Post
That is horrible. I cannot ever imagine not accepting other races and cultures.
I hope that situation is able to improve.

Does anyone have a positive experience with Vermilion?
It's a great place to visit.

I also am somewhat suspicious of the idea that Vermilion is much more racist than many other parts of Ohio, and I doubt if any racism is too overt, but limited to certain families.

I haven't seen anything like this in northeast Ohio and I doubt if it would be tolerated for a day, let alone a week, but perhaps I'm kidding myself.

Ohio racist basketball jerseys caused shock in Kings community

Vermilion is on the western edge of Greater Cleveland. I doubt if it has too many persons living there commuting downtown. I don't know anybody who has lived there.

Consider that Oberlin also is in Lorain County, and it's one of the most progressive communities in the U.S. and Oberlin College is famed for the educational advancement of both African Americans and women.

One of Vemilion's great attractions IMO is its proximity to Cedar Point and Sandusky, both for roller coasters and water parks, including one of the nation's largest indoor parks.

It's also a great location for anybody who enjoys boating.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:05 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
It's a great place to visit.

I also am somewhat suspicious of the idea that Vermilion is much more racist than many other parts of Ohio, and I doubt if any racism is too overt, but limited to certain families.

I haven't seen anything like this in northeast Ohio and I doubt if it would be tolerated for a day, let alone a week, but perhaps I'm kidding myself.

Vermilion is on the western edge of Greater Cleveland. I doubt if it has too many persons living there commuting downtown. I don't know anybody who has lived there.

Consider that Oberlin also is in Lorain County, and it's one of the most progressive communities in the U.S. and Oberlin College is famed for the educational advancement of both African Americans and women.

One of Vemilion's great attractions IMO is its proximity to Cedar Point and Sandusky, both for roller coasters and water parks, including one of the nation's largest indoor parks.

It's also a great location for anybody who enjoys boating.
Good suggestion WRnative!

We moved TO NE Ohio FROM the Suburbs of NYC. We have no complaints. We live in a small city not far from Youngstown. Some people rag on the schools, however, our experience has been positive. Our daughter did very well at the local HS. There is so much to offer students - many AP classes, swimming, caring and concerned teachers and more.

We live in a beautiful area of Warren. So glad we didn't listen to the Nay Sayers.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Thank you, very helpful

Old 01-26-2018, 10:25 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,225,996 times
Quote:

Ah, Butler County. Sounds about right. I remember living there and John Boehner running uncontested. Democrats didn't even field a candidate. Not for county sheriff or city council....but for a US House seat!!!!
You're right, that basketball jersey crap would never fly in NE Ohio. Maybe parts of rural Medina County....maybe.
But it might fly in Vermilion. Maybe not as blatantly, though.
Vermilion is kind of an anomaly. Lived there for a few months and tested the waters for staying: I didn't. And wouldn't now that I know. A bit wary of outsiders, definitely a "boating community" (and all that entails), hard to crack the surface and be accepted if you aren't from there. Nice library, charming downtown, a very lacking public beach (you'd expect more from Vermilion as a true lake town), and definitely a under-the-surface racist vibe coming from many in the local taverns and summertime hangouts. Heard it all the time. More of an "anti big city" Cleveland thing than racist (crime, schools, corruption), but the racial stuff was also mentioned, several times.
Not sure if it's a Cleveland commuter "bedroom town," but I would suggest that many commute to western Cleveland I-90 suburbs from there. (Avon, Avon Lake, Sheffield, etc). Fairly busy streams of Eastbound commuters every morning at the Baumhart Rd. exit.
I'm left of center. Except for a stop for ice cream or a beer in the summer, I've never felt comfortable or welcomed. And my short residence confirmed it.

Last edited by kpl1228; 01-26-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Ah, Butler County. Sounds about right. I remember living there and John Boehner running uncontested. Democrats didn't even field a candidate. Not for county sheriff or city council....but for a US House seat!!!!
You're right, that basketball jersey crap would never fly in NE Ohio. Maybe parts of rural Medina County....maybe.
But it might fly in Vermilion. Maybe not as blatantly, though.
Vermilion is kind of an anomaly. Lived there for a few months and tested the waters for staying: I didn't. And wouldn't now that I know. A bit wary of outsiders, definitely a "boating community" (and all that entails), hard to crack the surface and be accepted if you aren't from there. Nice library, charming downtown, a very lacking public beach (you'd expect more from Vermilion as a true lake town), and definitely a under-the-surface racist vibe coming from many in the local taverns and summertime hangouts. Heard it all the time. More of an "anti big city" Cleveland thing than racist (crime, schools, corruption), but the racial stuff was also mentioned, several times.
Not sure if it's a Cleveland commuter "bedroom town," but I would suggest that many commute to western Cleveland I-90 suburbs from there. (Avon, Avon Lake, Sheffield, etc). Fairly busy streams of Eastbound commuters every morning at the Baumhart Rd. exit.
I'm left of center. Except for a stop for ice cream or a beer in the summer, I've never felt comfortable or welcomed. And my short residence confirmed it.
You have more experience than I do, but I also grew up in a family that had some members who had racist tendencies. They weren't bad people, they just had little familiarity with persons different than them. I still wonder if that's what is afoot in Vermilion, although it's likely a much more prevalent attitude the further one gets west of the Cuyahoga River.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...questions.html

There's a reason that Ohio has Red State tendencies.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novelwriter89 View Post
Could you describe... weather ... regarding Vermilion, OH based on your experiences?
For weather:

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Note individual months in the right margin.

Vermilion gets less snow than Cleveland, only 30-40 inches per year on average.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions...s/Snowfall.gif

Old 01-29-2018, 08:43 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,225,996 times
Quote:
You have more experience than I do, but I also grew up in a family that had some members who had racist tendencies. They weren't bad people, they just had little familiarity with persons different than them. I still wonder if that's what is afoot in Vermilion, although it's likely a much more prevalent attitude the further one gets west of the Cuyahoga River.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...questions.html

There's a reason that Ohio has Red State tendencies.
I'd agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland