Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 05:20 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times

Advertisements

Had the Czech Pilsner at Saucy yesterday - I thought it was really good, had it in the 1 liter mug like a good German should. Sitting out in the sun was fantastic.

Going over to Pittsburgh this morning for the Warhol and then to the Penn Brewery. I really like their Pilsener too, so I'll do a comparison. Wish we had a microbrewery in Cleveland as authentic as the Penn (talking about buildings, not beer.) I absolutely love the old brewery they're in. GLBC comes close I suppose, since they're in the old Schlather Brewing building. But that Penn building just takes you back to 1880 as soon as you step inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 07:49 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Going over to Pittsburgh this morning for the Warhol and then to the Penn Brewery.

Have you ever been to the National Aviary in Pittsburgh? I enjoyed it much more than the Andy Warhol Museum, even though the Warhol is worthwhile. The Phipps Conservatory, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Heinz history center and the Duquesne Incline (especially after dark) are other favorites. Still high on my bucket list are Mount Washington and the Frick Art and Historical Center.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:14 PM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
As a likely future area resident, I’m really excited to see the thriving micro/brewpub scene in CLE. I’ve enjoyed Great Lakes Brewing Co. beers on many occasions, as they seem to be readily available in stores, not to mention the airport. I am also familiar with Fat Head. Up until a couple years ago, they had a western outpost in Portland’s trendy Pearl District, competing head-on with Portland’s finest. They since converted that spot to Von Ebert Brewing, which still has some connection, as I understand, to Fat Head’s owners.

I’m happy to see a couple brewpubs near Chagrin Falls (one of the areas I’m scouting as a potential move...), although I don’t understand why the CF operation chose such a juvenile name, IMO. Sounds like a spring break bar in Ft. Lauderdale. But I’ll give ‘em some business regardless.

Nice to see Saucy has a location in Orange.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:52 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Have you ever been to the National Aviary in Pittsburgh? I enjoyed it much more than the Andy Warhol Museum, even though the Warhol is worthwhile. The Phipps Conservatory, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Heinz history center and the Duquesne Incline (especially after dark) are other favorites. Still high on my bucket list are Mount Washington and the Frick Art and Historical Center.
Yes = the National Aviary (great!), Phipps Conservatory, Carnegie Natural History, and Duquesne Incline.
Still need to do the Heinz history center and Frick Art. We tried to get into the Mattress Factory but they were sold out of tickets that day and we didn't have time to go back. We made it up to Mt. Washington for an evening meal at Vue412 which was really great - such a wonderful view and great skyline - they're lucky.

The Warhol museum was pretty good too but I worry how it will maintain relevance over the coming decades (one artist, essentially.)

To bring it back to topic, we had brews at Penn (Penn Pilsener and Penn Kaiser Pilsener) both were very good as expected, liked the Kaiser best. Salmon was good too.

Also went to Church Brew works and had a good meal and their Czech Pilsener. The beer was OK, not overly impressed (not on draft - out of a can), the food was good (Chicken Marsala.)

Last edited by 216facts; 10-26-2020 at 02:20 PM..

Old 03-29-2022, 01:07 AM

Default Forbes magazine praises Cleveland craft beer scene

<<
Cleveland Is Gearing Up To Be America's Next Big Craft Beer Destination

As the United States craft beer industry continues to boom, seasoned beer aficionados are always in search of the next big city to visit—and now in 2022, all signs point to Cleveland. While this charming lakeside city is best known as the home of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland’s beer scene is equally as impressive, with more than forty breweries scattered across the metro area. With warm weather on its way, there’s no better time than the present to book a flight, grab a Cleveland Brewery Passport, and make your way to the banks of Lake Erie for an unforgettable beer-filled getaway.>>

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaredra...h=3227b4063630

Has anyone used a Cleveland Brewery Passport, mentioned in the article, in order to win free prizes?

https://www.thisiscleveland.com/thin...ewery-passport

Old 03-29-2022, 07:05 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Meant to post this here last month:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...in-euclid.html

Collision Bend is exapanding into Euclid with plans to open a brewing facility and taproom at a massive old warehouse on Babbit near St Clair right between Lincoln Electric and Amazon. I am absolutely biased but I think this is a great move. I like to see people waking up to the potential in Euclid.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:36 AM

Default Greater Cleveland members of the Ohio Craft Brewers Association

For persons wishing to explore Greater Cleveland's craft brewers, here's a listing (click on Greater Cleveland in the heading)!

https://ohiocraftbeer.org/ohio-breweries/

You can use the map to zoom in for specific locations. It shows why Ohio City is a craft brew heaven, with 4 breweries just in the Market District near the West Side Market and another three near Detroit Ave. and West 25th St.! There are an additional seven breweries shown on the east side of the Cuyahoga River in the greater downtown area. Additionally, Hansa Brewery is conveniently located on Lorain Ave. in Ohio City, easily walked from West 25th St., but it doesn't appear to be an OCBA member.

https://ohiocraftbeer.org/map/

https://www.hansabrewery.com/

A Thisiscleveland.com search for "craft beer events" perhaps identifies additional craft brewers and certainly provides a guide to craft brew events to research and put on your calendar. Other key words may produce additional information.

https://www.thisiscleveland.com/sear...0beer%20events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: