Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:18 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Interesting post. I'm not embarrassed to be from Cleveland. The reason why I say I wrestle with it is because maybe I guess I've internalized what's been said nationally whether it's sports or otherwise. Or, maybe it's more frustration because the city is not where it should be. Plus, you hear a lot of African American Clevelanders and rankings say that it isn't a city for African Americans. How did you feel about Cleveland before you moved out of town? What do you feel that's vastly underrated? Why do you feel it's vastly underrated by people who live in Cleveland?
I really liked Cleveland when I left. It was a hard decision to make. People who live in Cleveland don't generally have a lot of experience with life on the coasts (which is what they like to compare themselves too, and find the city wanting). They go to NYC for a few days, walk around Boston's Freedom Trail, and check out the monuments in DC and conclude that Cleveland just doesn't have that much to do. Or has no history. Or has crap public transportation.

But what they don't really get is that when you actually live as a normal person in these cities, you aren't living in the "vacation mind set" that they were in when they visited. Normal people in Boston don't get up and look for some novel lecture at MIT. The average DC resident doesn't care about the Jefferson Memorial. New Yorkers avoid Time Square. You only experience taking the centrally located subway stations 3-4 stops 2 miles to go from a museum to a baseball game. You don't see lines of 2000+ people waiting outside in 10 degree weather waiting for shuttle buses to take them downtown from the furthest out stations 10 miles away for their job (which started an hour ago) because the red line broke down completely under the weather conditions. You see the charming rowhomes and brownstones in Brooklyn or the South End and think "Cleveland has nothing nearly as nice." But perhaps people don't realize that those lovely homes cost $2500 per month for a single bedroom. Wanna buy? That will be 1.2 million (at least). That is not where the average person lives. These neighborhoods are basically just museums now.

It's possible you could conclude that other cities are better for very wealthy young adults than Cleveland. I don't know that I would agree absolutely (cultural issues come into play, some people will simply never dig the coastal vibes), but I could understand it. However, if we are talking about 90% of all people, it is going to come down to trade offs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 02:38 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't understand it. I jut don't. How are you not proud of where you're from? Even when downtown was a sh*t hole I wasn't embarrassed to be from here.

Anyway, friend likes Charlotte. She lives on Lake Norman so loves her home and the area but the commute is a killer. It's not even that far from home but the congestion makes it MINIMUM an hour. Thankfully for her she only has to do it 3 days a week.
I couldn't imagine.
I'm not ashamed or embarrassed, I never said that. I guess it's more like I'm frustrated because the city isn't fulfilling its potential. Plus, like I told BJimmy24 that I may be guilty of internalizing what the national media said about the city whether its sports or otherwise. Plus, I feel that our local media doesn't do enough to highlight the positives only the negatives. Have you lived in other cities or have you lived in Cleveland all your life? What were your experiences?

Old 04-09-2018, 07:33 PM

171 posts, read 148,919 times
Quote:
Plus, you hear a lot of African American Clevelanders and rankings say that it isn't a city for African Americans.
Why isn't Cleveland considered to be a good city for African Americans?

The reason I ask is this:

One thing I like about living in the greater Washington, D.C. area is that the area is relatively integrated, and there is a HUGE middle class African American population. After living here, I can't imagine living in an area where racism is a big problem or where it's very segregated. Are these problems in Cleveland? An honest response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT African American. But I have many friends who are.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
Why isn't Cleveland considered to be a good city for African Americans?

The reason I ask is this:

One thing I like about living in the greater Washington, D.C. area is that the area is relatively integrated, and there is a HUGE middle class African American population. After living here, I can't imagine living in an area where racism is a big problem or where it's very segregated. Are these problems in Cleveland? An honest response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT African American. But I have many friends who are.
I say those issues exist in Cleveland just like they do in D.C. and everywhere else in America. IMO, the Africa Americans I ran across in Cleveland look at the city not being for African Americans from a superficial standpoint. They feel it's not hyped up like Atlanta or Houston, Cleveland doesn't have their music scene or it doesn't have the nightlife of those cities. But, some feel there aren't enough jobs. But on the flip side, I have had friends who live in those cities some say it's cool, some say it isn't worth the hype. But, there are some integrated areas in Cleveland. But, a lot of the parts in the city proper are segregated by East Side and West Side.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,336 times
Within city limits the east side is vast majority black. whereas the west side is very integrated, with whites rapidly leaving former working class neighborhoods. The 2020 census is going to be interesting.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:06 PM

171 posts, read 148,919 times
Quote:
I say those issues exist in Cleveland just like they do in D.C. and everywhere else in America. IMO, the Africa Americans I ran across in Cleveland look at the city not being for African Americans from a superficial standpoint. They feel it's not hyped up like Atlanta or Houston, Cleveland doesn't have their music scene or it doesn't have the nightlife of those cities. But, some feel there aren't enough jobs. But on the flip side, I have had friends who live in those cities some say it's cool, some say it isn't worth the hype. But, there are some integrated areas in Cleveland. But, a lot of the parts in the city proper are segregated by East Side and West Side.
Thanks, QCongress. Good to know!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:12 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
FWIW many people in many cities across the country delude themselves into thinking such and such place is just not a good place for group x, where group x is the group that the person belongs to.

It's true though that there aren't enough jobs. This is hardly limited to black folks though. I tried to find a job out of college in Cleveland. Have been trying for the last 2 years too. Nada.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Those who either rag or brag on their city are usually those who have never lived any place else. Their comparisons don’t amount to much more than hearsay about other cities in comparison to theirs. What they don’t want to see is that many of the situations, no matter how many times in how many threads in how many forums it’s been pointed out to them, other cities have similar problems. They also have their own unique problems.

In my nearly four years living in the Cleveland area I not met a Clevelander with an Inferiority Complex about their city. I have, however, met those who have said there is room for improvement which is always the case in any city. I think Cleveland is working on that, other cities are not.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:02 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Those who either rag or brag on their city are usually those who have never lived any place else. Their comparisons don’t amount to much more than hearsay about other cities in comparison to theirs. What they don’t want to see is that many of the situations, no matter how many times in how many threads in how many forums it’s been pointed out to them, other cities have similar problems. They also have their own unique problems.

In my nearly four years living in the Cleveland area I not met a Clevelander with an Inferiority Complex about their city. I have, however, met those who have said there is room for improvement which is always the case in any city. I think Cleveland is working on that, other cities are not.
Just wondering .... what cities do see as NOT working on improvements etc.? Since you left that out there.....

Also might be a good time and aspect to refute inferiority..... with some projects the city of Cleveland is doing and have plans to do? That would show how the city in the future is being guided and nurtured by city planners and can then have more boast? Especially in the core as that still defines most cities.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
FWIW many people in many cities across the country delude themselves into thinking such and such place is just not a good place for group x, where group x is the group that the person belongs to.

It's true though that there aren't enough jobs. This is hardly limited to black folks though. I tried to find a job out of college in Cleveland. Have been trying for the last 2 years too. Nada.
If you don't mind me asking, what field are you in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland