Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,546 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I will be moving to Cleveland in July for work, and I was hoping I could get advise on which areas to look for apartments. The two most important features I am looking for is safety, and proximity to Case Western/easy access to public transportation to get there. Proximity to grocery stores/restaurants would be nice as well. I am looking into renting an studio or 1BR/1BA apartment in the $600-$800 range. Also, I am moving from FL, and have no experience with winter at all...any advise on what must-have clothing I should make sure to purchase in order to survive the cold months?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 04:22 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
You are SO lucky! CASE and transportation? Dude, it's all around that area. That price should be just fine as well. More will post for you on specifics, but from my experience, you are sitting pretty good. Get used to the Oval area (museums), RTA (rail), downtown (theatre and sports), etc. Congrats!!!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:36 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times
You should consider apartment hunting along the Healthline HealthLine | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority for public transportation. It is a bus-rapid-transit line that runs along Euclid Ave between CASE/University Circle and downtown. You could also consider the Red line if you want to go to the west side or airport. My recommendation for apartments would be somewhere in Little Italy or University Circle. Keep in mind that this area is flooded with students, teachers, school children, doctors, nurses, etc - and it is very safe. It is patrolled 24/7 by multiple police organizations. I don't want to sound like its in a compound, but one does have to be practical and realize that some of the tougher parts of town are just a few miles down Euclid Avenue into East Cleveland. Plenty of restaurants in Little Italy and University Circle to choose from.

You could also consider apartments near Coventry & Euclid Hts Blvd in Cleveland Heights. This is very close to CASE, within an easy bus ride. Go to Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority | Public transit provider for Cleveland and Cuyahoga County, Ohio to check schedules and fares. The Coventry area in Cleveland is home to a lot of CASE students, musicians, doctors, nurses, etc. Lots of apartments to choose from. This is an older part of town, but it is very safe.

Yet another option would be downtown, where there are a lot of apartments but occupancy rates are still above 95% so it may be hard to get what you want. There are a couple of grocery stores downtown (Heinens and Constantinos) and there is also the West Side Market which is a right across the river, there is a red line train stop right at the Market. Lots of restaurants and breweries downtown and over near the West Side Market (Ohio City.)

You could also consider apartments in Lakewood and West Cleveland, along the Red line or Cleveland State BRT line. You may want to check out apartments along Clifton Blvd in W. Cleveland and Lakewood. But also make sure you figure out the BRT schedule from Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority | Public transit provider for Cleveland and Cuyahoga County, Ohio so you know what kind of times you'll have for commute to CASE. Good luck

Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Have you read through this thread yet?

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

See also posts 353 and 362 in the relocation thread.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,546 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I appreciate you took the time to reply to this post. I was wondering if anybody can comment on the winters in Cleveland. I have met a couple of people who are from Ohio and they just outright told me winters are a nightmare...what would be must have's for a person who have lived in FL all her life and will know what winter is like for the first time in Cleveland? Any brands of boots, clothing, etc you would recommend? In your opinion how does the city fare with the lake effect snow?

Last edited by MissRnR; 04-19-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRnR View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I appreciate you took the time to reply to this post. I was wondering if anybody can comment on the winters in Cleveland. I have met a couple of people who are from Ohio and they just outright told me winters are a nightmare...what would be must have's for a person who have lived in FL all her life and will know what winter is like for the first time in Cleveland? Any brands of boots, clothing, etc you would recommend? In your opinion how does the city fare with the lake effect snow?
See post 14 in this thread, which has several posts discussing Cleveland winters. It was written by a mother of a family from Florida which spent one year in Cleveland.

<<Snow removal was on point. They definitely know what they are doing. Even though it was a mild winter, snow/ice was NEVER a problem.>>

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...eveland-2.html

Check out the temperature charts and "chance of daily precipitation" here. The latter graph shows that it snows only about 5 percent of the days in Greater Cleveland in winter. However, snow totals are much higher in the primary northeast Ohio Lake Erie snow belt, which doesn't include the University Circle area, but is east and northeast of Cleveland. These official weather statistics are recorded at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport in the southwest part of Cleveland.

<<We report snowfall in liquid-equivalent terms. The actual depth of new snowfall is typically between 5 and 10 times the liquid-equivalent amount, assuming the ground is frozen. Colder, drier snow tends to be on the higher end of that range and warmer, wetter snow on the lower end.

As with rainfall, we consider the snowfall accumulated over a sliding 31-day period centered around each day of the year. Cleveland experiences some seasonal variation in monthly liquid-equivalent snowfall.

The snowy period of the year lasts for 4.0 months, from December 4 to April 4, with a sliding 31-day liquid-equivalent snowfall of at least 0.1 inches. The most snow falls during the 31 days centered around February 24, with an average total liquid-equivalent accumulation of 0.4 inches. >>

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

You'll likely experience a couple significant snowfalls. Roads are pre-treated and storms are usually cleared within 2-4 hours after the end of the snow event, especially on major roads. The most dangerous conditions, including for pedestrians, involve black ice, more common when the temperature climbs above freezing during the day, melting snow, which then freezes when the temperature falls below freezing.

This thread likely answers your other questions about clothing and recommended shoes, if you check out the links.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...-i-should.html

Old 04-20-2018, 06:25 AM

Default Correction to post 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
See also posts 353 and 362 in the relocation thread.

The end of the post should instead read:

See also posts 354, 355, 359, 362, and 369 in the relocation thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...thread-36.html

Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 AM

Default Cleveland Heights weather

I just discovered that there is a weatherspark.com page for Cleveland Heights! CH is adjacent to University Circle.

https://weatherspark.com/y/18130/Ave...tes-Year-Round
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland