Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,879,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the majority of my age group do have this attitude.. just curious what is your age group, you seem very very old school the way you talk about cleveland
I am 22. How is my attitude "old school"? This is based on your opinion, because I know many that do not think the way you do or as you speak. I am in urban planning right now, I know what I am talking about. You are mostly seeing younger generations moving downtown or into the city propers. Urban living is the "new" thing. Enough with urban sprawl.

Cleveland's downtown population grew by over 32% in just 5 years! The census bureau hasn't even got the numbers for the 2000s. I expect even better, I mean with 4.3 billion in development downtown, I know those numbers will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,892,198 times
Downtown has changed a lot since all the new things being built and all the people moving in. I noticed that its much more alive then it used to be. Its still not as good as it could be, and I have been through downtown and it looked like a ghosttown a few times, but its definitely improving a lot.

The whole area is though. The Flats have already improved a lot and will continue to for a while.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,898,625 times
the younger generations need jobs, unless you are an it person or with the cleveland clinic, jobs are few and far between... and when i was your age i felt the same way... do you own your own home yet?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 AM

302 posts, read 1,097,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
^^generally it is the older generations that have the worst attutides about Cleveland--especially those would moved out and for just cause...it is the younger group (college age) where I see the most optimism--the ones who have only seen improvements in the city (building of Key Tower, RRHOF, all three stadiums, great lakes science center, Case, CSU, Cleveland Clinic, and other neighborhoods completely rebuilt)

EDIT: I don't see old school in anyone's post..in all honestly I would guess you're between 35-50 based on how you see the city. just curious, what part was old school?? Cle440 sounds like early 20's to me. (I'm not trying to devulge private information, so no need to answer the question about age.)
I would say that many of the younger generation, not just a few thinks Cleveland is a dump, most have no clue about Cleveland to begin with, only going downtown really for sports, and school events then leaving. I think the college age kids(myself included) that pay attention to events see it as a mismanaged city turned ghetto that has potential, but at the current time does not offer anything of value. The one thing I'm happy about is to see historical areas trying to make a turn around(however slow it may be) like Tremont. A few areas I'd like to see done would be a reborn Slavic Village with actual new Poles,Czechs,Russians, etc coming over and living there, with more Polish bars/clubs etc. Something that everyone wants would be a developed lake front. I also want to see a redone Flats, not only with apartments, but more "up scale" bars/clubs nothing seedy just nice interiors and a place where people have to be nicely dressed. I always remember the crazy partying back in the day in the Flats, and how within few short years, it took a nose dive, try and avoid that again. Areas of the east side that have become more open than city, should stay like that, build houses with a bit bigger yards, etc. All thing along with tax incentives for companies that come here, along with more investment and backing of the Police. Certain cultural things need to change like the insane amount of single families within the black community, when steady families are built up then areas will get better along with kids actually being encouraged to learn and not that they'll be stuck in this rut b/c of someone else. Education wise, they need to bring up the grading standards back to normal on par with the suburbs. Its a added weight and harms students in the long run to "dummy" down the system cause when they are looking for a job, reality will hit them hard. There was that case of a girl in E. Cle. who got all A's but when she took the ACT or SAT bombed it, those A's would most likely be only worth C's in a decent suburb school.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:14 PM

you just hit the nail on the head.. my thinking exactly..

Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,892,198 times
The only thing I dont like is the idea of the suburban-like houses within the city. I think that we should try to make Cleveland more dense and urban, and make everything in walking distance and close together. More dense, walkable neighborhoods. I think what they did on the Eastside is a joke with those suburban houses in an area that used to be slums, and then most of it was burnt down or leveled. I think instead of putting those big houses, we should put historical looking houses that are closer together.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:45 AM

302 posts, read 1,097,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
The only thing I dont like is the idea of the suburban-like houses within the city. I think that we should try to make Cleveland more dense and urban, and make everything in walking distance and close together. More dense, walkable neighborhoods. I think what they did on the Eastside is a joke with those suburban houses in an area that used to be slums, and then most of it was burnt down or leveled. I think instead of putting those big houses, we should put historical looking houses that are closer together.
Some areas should keep their historical feel to it, however there needs to be a diverse area of housing. Areas closer to Downtown will be more urban and close, since thats how they are to begin with. While the totally destroyed areas can be different in order to attract more people.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:46 AM

only thing i dont like (and i know i am going to get chewed on this) about the euclid corridor (i know not in flats), is the one lane for cars.. have you seen the garbage truck yet that picks up the garbage cans, holds up traffic.. i would have done rail not buses or even a trolley of some sort.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
the younger generations need jobs, unless you are an it person or with the cleveland clinic, jobs are few and far between... and when i was your age i felt the same way... do you own your own home yet?
I am in an apartment now. I would like to buy a loft downtown after I am down with college and in my career for a few years.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
only thing i dont like (and i know i am going to get chewed on this) about the euclid corridor (i know not in flats), is the one lane for cars.. have you seen the garbage truck yet that picks up the garbage cans, holds up traffic.. i would have done rail not buses or even a trolley of some sort.
I would have liked to have seen trolleys too, that would bring in a huge mix of transportation. Rapid rail, trolleys and buses. Cincinnati is on its way to trolleys, and Columbus has them in the works. But the ECP is also restoring a lot of the storefronts and streetfronts too, and bringing in some possible highrises too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland