Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,207 times

Advertisements

I guess I put this in the wrong place last time:

We are a young couple currently living in Clifton Park, NY and are looking for somewhere a little less expensive and don't want to move too many states away. A 6-8 hr drive isn't that bad so we'd like to be around Cleveland. We have no kids and are not planning on it, but children oriented neighborhoods are usually friendlier anyway. I have dogs so someplace with parks/places to jog would be great.

Some places we have found houses in are Elyria, Euclid, Lorain, Beechwood, Akron. Are these good areas? Which areas would I want to avoid? Are there any parks that you should avoid? We are looking for something more suburban than directly in the city. I don't really know much about this area of Ohio but I want to re-locate there within the next 2 years as I've been offered a good job opportunity.

Oh I should also add that even though we're looking for somewhere quiet we would like to be as close to the city as possible, like 10-25 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 AM

302 posts, read 1,100,770 times
Well money makes the difference, but I'd avoid Lorain, Euclid, and Akron. There is decent areas to each city, but for the most part, its not someplace you want to relocate to for the rest of your life. Elyria has some "bad" spots, but is overall pretty good, and you would not really have any problems there. Beechwood is pretty high end area, and good too, only thing its the most expensive out of your choices.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:50 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
For what you are talking about there is a lot of places. For your list Beechwood seems like the best place overall. There is a lot of other areas you should consider too. Shaker Hts., Cleveland Hts., Lakewood, South Euclid, Seven Hills, Rocky river.

If you are considering those other cities check the neighborhood and ask around first. In Lorain stay away from the Central area and part of South Lorain, In Elyria stay away from the southside. In Euclid check the area first, areas on the westside seem to be worse. All those cities for the most part are pretty nice though. For Akron, most areas surrounding downtown are pretty bad also parts of the Westside and a few other areas of the city, and its kind of far away, more like a 30+ minute drive.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:04 PM

17 posts, read 71,859 times
I live in Rocky River, and I love it. It's 15-20 minutes from downtown. Close to freeways, and parks. I can walk to the Cleveland Metroparks from where I live. I can walk up the street to the beach right on Lake Erie.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:08 PM

423 posts, read 1,404,482 times
Chagrin Falls and Solon are nice cities close to Cleveland. You'll love the "Emerald Necklace" of the Cleveland Metroparks...Cuyahoga National Recreation Area. Lots and lots of hike and bike paths here. NE Ohio is a hopping place. There's no shortage of things to do here, and it's very scenic outside the cities.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:36 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
I would look into Fairview Park or Rocky River if you're into more of a 1950's-style suburbia. They're right next to the valley (the Rocky River reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks), and they're about 15 minutes from downtown, maybe 20 at rush hour.

The cities you mentioned don't really have much in common, so I'm kind of unsure what you're looking for with those. Beachwood is virtually crime-free, and the others have good and bad areas.

If you can give more information (like where you'll work or what side of town you want to be on), that might help.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,509 times
I agree that I'd avoid Lorain, Euclid, and Akron. And yes, Elyria has some bad spots. I lived there for over 11 years. It's ok. However, I was raised and now live in North Ridgeville-it's a small town just east of Elyria. I love it here! There's not a "lot" to do here, but it has all the basics. Grafton isn't too bad either. North Olmsted doesn't seem like a bad spot itself-I don't think I'd mind living there. They have a bit of everything there-the mall, strip stores, etc.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,186 times
how do u feel about the high schools on loain

Old 08-10-2008, 01:13 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorain4lyfe99 View Post
how do u feel about the high schools on loain
I answered this in the other post you made. Both the high schools have a pretty bad reputation. Southview seems better than Admiral King. It all depends on what you want. Most people with money send their kids to private schools or Midview, Sheffield, or Amherst. Admiral King and Southview arent horrible but violence is pretty common and they have fights and riots all the time and lockdowns a lot because of people having guns in the building of having bomb threats or whatever. It happened a lot of times last year and it was in the news a few times.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:40 PM

27 posts, read 79,509 times
Solon, Twinsburg, Macedonia would be good places to look at as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: