Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 AM

62 posts, read 102,013 times

Advertisements

On my visit to Lakewood last month I found I liked it and could see myself living there at least the first part of my retirement. I will be in town next week for 5 days with the goal of obtaining a rental. It seems this is a landlord’s market and that places are made available about a week or two before, not a month and a half, especially for what I am looking for: either a spot in a two family double or a townhouse. A large apartment building is a last resort. Anyhow, I have been hearing that I should strive for a north west Lakewood location. How true is that really? I see that Birdtown might be questionable but on my drives I saw several streets east of Warren, even a few not too far from the Cleveland border that were really well kept. And how about the areas south of Madison, going toward route 90? Lincoln Ave is one of those I think and seemed fine on a google street view. Any input is appreciated.....I’ll be going with my checkbook, income verification and credit report printed out to expedite process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM

35 posts, read 27,829 times
On Lake Road, a combination of affordability, great location and style would put one squarely on the Cleveland side of the street. There are multiple apartment buildings in the area that combine all of the above plus mature trees to create a great place to live. Add in the fact that the neighborhood is close to Edgewater Park and you've made a great choice. Check it out on your next visit.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM

378 posts, read 341,392 times
Birdtown is gaining a ton of popularity right now, so don't necessarily write it off if you find something you like there.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:19 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
I love Lakewood, but the freak-and-weirdo quotient is getting really out of hand... to the point of being creepy. Now, perhaps if you spend most of your time at home, only go places with your car instead of walking, and avoid places like the library or McDonald's, you might find yourself insulated from much of the creepiness. But half the fun of living in Lakewood is the walkability. It's sad to me to see the place being ruined.

And I've never seen so many rude old people in one place in my entire life.

But... there is gentrification going on, or so I hear. Perhaps, over time, that will end up mitigating much of the dreadfulness.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:32 PM

Hi andrew61.... many of your posts reflect this same theme of weird people... I guess that’s your experience. I assume you live elsewhere now

Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
And I've never seen so many rude old people in one place in my entire life.
Bizarre comment. I reminds me of some pathetic 20-year-old-something Floridian that I chatted with over a decade ago that said she couldn't stand all of the "shrinks" in Florida. I had never heard that term before, referring to the elderly. It's possible that some persons suffer from gerontophobia and don't realize it.

I've never heard this complaint about Lakewood before, or seen it voiced anywhere in this forum, until now, in the many discussions about Lakewood.

In the 2010 census, Lakewood's median age was about 35, and only 11 percent of the population was 65 or over. Both of these are lower than the 2010 national averages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewo...10_U.S._Census

<<The 65-and-older population also grew faster than most younger population groups at a rate of 15.1 percent to 40.3 million people, or 13.0 percent of the total population....

In 2010, the median age increased to 37.2 from 35.3 in 2000...>>

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...b11-cn147.html

Before relying on your comments, a poster should review all of your comments about Greater Cleveland, and your preference for Chicago, although you can't afford to live there any longer....and consider the many responses to your complaints.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:49 AM

I was not referring to the percentage of Lakewood's population that is elderly. I was referring to the percentage of Lakewood's elderly that is rude. Two entirely different things.

It is true that the percentage of Lakewood's population that is elderly was considerably higher a generation ago. I remember reading in a November 1988 Cleveland magazine article about Lakewood, written by Evelyn Theiss, that over 25 percent of Lakewood's population was over 60 at the time.

IMO, those Lakewood elderly were much more polite and refined than today's crop. (There always are exceptions, of course.)

As for my 'experience', I only know what I see.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerwoman View Post
Hi andrew61.... many of your posts reflect this same theme of weird people... I guess that’s your experience. I assume you live elsewhere now
I do, but I've still been trying to hang out in Lakewood as often as possible. I don't know how long I can keep it up, however. Although there are many things I love about Lakewood, the weirdness quotient has gotten to the point of being oppressive and is nearly driving me over the edge. And so many have absolutely no concept of proper manners, it seems.

I find myself hanging out in downtown Cleveland more and more these days. And liking it -- as long as I stay away from the Public Square entrance to Tower City. Too many undesirables hanging out there... but the rest of downtown is fine.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:56 AM

I have to acknowledge the poster who said not to write off Birdtown. For example, Zillow shows a rental on 2089 Robin Avenue and it is very well kept up. Moreover, the street has tons of curb appeal, lawns are manicured, shrubs trimmed etc. Looks nice!

Old 07-13-2018, 01:38 PM

372 posts, read 593,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerwoman View Post
I have to acknowledge the poster who said not to write off Birdtown. For example, Zillow shows a rental on 2089 Robin Avenue and it is very well kept up. Moreover, the street has tons of curb appeal, lawns are manicured, shrubs trimmed etc. Looks nice!

I've spent more time in Birdtown recently and the neighborhoods are looking really nice. Specifically Mars between Madison and 90 area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland