Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:12 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
[You can't make this stuff up.]
Except you just did.

Your posts in this thread are Trumpian, a series of denigratory falsehoods with the sole purpose of unfairly sullying Lakewood and Cleveland.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:46 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
The point is, Lakewood's always on everyone's mind

Old 07-23-2018, 02:21 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Except you just did.

Your posts in this thread are Trumpian, a series of denigratory falsehoods with the sole purpose of unfairly sullying Lakewood and Cleveland.
Nope. Every single item on that Lakewood list was gleaned from actual interactions I've had with actual people over the years.

Surely even you have encountered that last item on my list.

Really... I couldn't make up stuff like this if I tried.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:32 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,378 times
Quote:
- Your idea of “fine dining” is Olive Garden.
Come on, at least say Mama Santa's!

Old 07-23-2018, 03:52 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Nope. Every single item on that Lakewood list was gleaned from actual interactions I've had with actual people over the years.

Surely even you have encountered that last item on my list.

Really... I couldn't make up stuff like this if I tried.

IMO, all of your statements are made up. E.g., almost everyone in Greater Cleveland has heard of Lakewood, including in Beachwood, and most know it's located directly west of Cleveland. To presume otherwise, means that they haven't been to the likes of Edgewater Park (although in Cleveland, with Route 2 signs pointing to Lakewood), Beck Center, or the Rocky River Reservation, and people in Shaker Hts. definitely don't think Lakewood is a "slum;" Lakewood's Gold Coast is well known.

As for your "gay city" comment, what percentage of Lakewood's population today is gay, and how does this compare with the Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood of Cleveland? If you can't document that simple fact, you have no business making such a claim. Based on the following data, your "sure-thing" claim is total bunk.

Most of the gay clubs on the west side now are located in western Cleveland, not Lakewood, suggesting that Detroit-Shoreway may be the center of gay life in Cleveland. Not a single club on this list is in Lakewood.

https://cleveland.gaycities.com/bars

History Question -- How Gay is/was Lakewood? - The Observation Deck

According to this table, Cleveland proper has by far the most same-sex couples (1289 versus 189 in Lakewood), and Mayfield Hts. and Beachwood have the highest percentages of same-sex households. Lakewood's population is over 50,000.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/...g-city-in-ohio

What's your beef with Lakewood??? Get a traffic ticket there?

Last edited by WRnative; 07-23-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
IMO, all of your statements are made up. E.g., almost everyone in Greater Cleveland has heard of Lakewood, including in Beachwood, and most know it's located directly west of Cleveland. To presume otherwise, means that they haven't been to the likes of Edgewater Park (although in Cleveland, with Route 2 signs pointing to Lakewood), Beck Center, or the Rocky River Reservation, and people in Shaker Hts. definitely don't think Lakewood is a "slum;" Lakewood's Gold Coast is well known.

As for your "gay city" comment, what percentage of Lakewood's population today is gay, and how does this compare with the Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood of Cleveland? If you can't document that simple fact, you have no business making such a claim. Based on the following data, your "sure-thing" claim is total bunk.

Most of the gay clubs on the west side now are located in western Cleveland, not Lakewood, suggesting that Detroit-Shoreway may be the center of gay life in Cleveland. Not a single club on this list is in Lakewood.

https://cleveland.gaycities.com/bars

History Question -- How Gay is/was Lakewood? - The Observation Deck

According to this table, Cleveland proper has by far the most same-sex couples (1289 versus 189 in Lakewood), and Mayfield Hts. and Beachwood have the highest percentages of same-sex households. Lakewood's population is over 50,000.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/...g-city-in-ohio

What's your beef with Lakewood??? Get a traffic ticket there?
Thank you for your very thorough strawman argument. I never said Lakewood was "Gay City".

BTW, I did go out on a date once with someone from Beachwood who had not heard of Lakewood, nor knew anything about the West Side. This was a very sophisticated young white-collar Jewish guy who made very good money and lived in one of those expensive highrises behind Beachwood Place. I took him to Minh Anh on Detroit Avenue for dinner, and from the way he reacted, you'd think he'd been transported to a strange foreign country instead of the opposite side of town.

Not all East Siders have been to Edgewater Park, the Beck Center, or the Rocky River Reservation. Although it may not be true of you personally, nor of most on this forum, a great many Clevelanders (on both sides of town) are more provincial than you realize.

Last edited by andrew61; 07-23-2018 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 06:17 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,378 times
Quote:
IMO, all of your statements are made up. E.g., almost everyone in Greater Cleveland has heard of Lakewood, including in Beachwood, and most know it's located directly west of Cleveland.
One would hope.

I do remember a West Side friend-of-a-friend (Parma Hts, maybe) asking me "Where's Case? Is it by Beachwood?"

Old 07-23-2018, 06:30 PM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
Before I moved here I was told by a Clevelander that people tend to stay on either the east or west side. I live on east side but go to west side quite a bit and the people in my building seem amazed as though I've ventured across country. Most don't seem familiar with Lakewood or Rocky River.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Before I moved here I was told by a Clevelander that people tend to stay on either the east or west side. I live on east side but go to west side quite a bit and the people in my building seem amazed as though I've ventured across country. Most don't seem familiar with Lakewood or Rocky River.
Here's an interesting article on the East Side/West Side split and its historical roots:

CLEAVING THE CROOKED MIRROR: WHAT'S REALLY BEHIND THE EAST & WEST SIDE RIVALRY

Old 07-24-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Uh oh....I hear feathers ruffling....but it rings true and I hope people will be able to see the humor in it. I do get this feel about Clevelanders from riding public transit and hanging out in some areas...I see a different demographic at museum and classical music performances. It's sort of a tale of two cities here.
You might be from that "other" Cleveland if...

- You only wear designer labels and always put the accent on the second syllable of Ralph Lauren's last name.

- You're a regular attendee at the Cleveland Cinematheque, mispronounce it "Cinematique", and demonstrate a haughty impatience with those who are unfamiliar with the place.

- You work at a restaurant, your friends and acquaintances call you a "chef", and you don't correct them even though you're only Salad Prep.

- Someone invites you to a Kirosawa film, and you decline because it's too lowbrow for you.

- You somehow can afford subscriptions to both the Cleveland Orchestra and the Cleveland Opera, even if you make very little money.

- You look up to New York as your "Mother City" and don't give a hoot about Chicago.

- If you're standing on Shaker Square, and one of those dreadful West Side hicks happens by, you straighten your back and give a disdainful sniff.

- Your notion of bohemianism is eschewing furniture for a living room full of boulders instead, and hanging out playing backgammon in coffee shops with male college students.

- You can't pronounce the word "Trattoria" properly, but you lunch at Trattoria On The Hill because it's the in thing.

- If you're at someone's home browsing their book collection, and you spot a book about John Lennon, you wrinkle your nose and say "Oh" very quietly, then avert your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland