Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,295 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am new to the area, and I am looking for information and opinions on the local banking industry. I have heard of the issues with National City, but does anyone have an opinion of some of the others?
- Key Bank
- Fifth Third
- Chase
- Dollar Bank
- Huntington
- Charter One
Any objective opinion of their strengths/weaknesses would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
key bank - never used 5th3rd - closed a checking acct with them about 15yrs ago due to an argument over fees that i would not pay, had a $200 fee balance, still won't let me use them ( not that i would want to).. absolute garbage bank! chase - never used but have credit cards dollar-- never used but they have some of the best cd rates in town huntington - don't get me started GARBAGE
CharterOne - have been using them for about 8yrs.. depends on location.. pineridge plaza in willoughby hills is the best branch. Melissa and Lindsay will make you smile.... only bad thing is they run credit when you open acct (counts as inquiry, drops score a few points) EXCELLENT HOME EQUITY LINE OF CREDIT currently around 4%..
also check Amtrust Bank at goldengate in Mayfield Hts... Roberta is great... Best CD and Checking interest rates in town..

hope this helped!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 PM

53 posts, read 204,357 times
Default All Ohio banks are garbage!

They have ridiculous fees, will charge you for using another banks atm (except nat city) and when I go to Canada they have the most ridiculous foreign exchange fees (about 3% of transaction, even for a cash withdrawal).

My recommendation is to open an account with PNC. If you keep minimum $2000 they wave all fees. That is, you can use any atm at any bank, PNC does not charge you a fee, and they reimburse you for the fees that that atm charges you. its quite amazing.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
dont know about the atms, but most waive fees if you maintain balance

Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 PM

10 posts, read 34,305 times
any thoughts on National City?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:24 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I discourage Key Bank (the WORST) due to mild to gross incompetence and poor customer service on the phone and managment level The local branch people did the best they could to fix mistakes the organization made over the years. In the end it was not enough. I am looking into 5/3 for savings as the credit union (Postal Workers) I joined has a low interest rate for savings. National City has bad customer service as well.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
Key Bank = Fee Bank.

I used to work for Key, and it was not the best place to work. Local staff had absolutely no autonomy. We used to joke that Key Bank should be called Fee Bank.

I got away from their clutches many years ago....

Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 AM

170 posts, read 196,414 times
Default Bank

Consider avoiding banks with arbitration clauses. I suggest Third Federal and not considering US Bank.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:11 PM

570 posts, read 1,820,480 times
I bank with Chase and as well as Charterone. I like Chase better due to their customer service. I go to the branch in Beachwood on Chagrin Blvd and the tellers are really nice, mainly Lorriel(spelling?). She calls me every now and then in regards to my account and even offered to go over my finances with me if I needed it.

Charterone is ok, I just have the account open for convience if I need quick cash since it is closer to me than Chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland