Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 01:41 PM

60 posts, read 100,916 times

Advertisements

Has anyone driven from Mass, Conn, or eastern NY? I can either take I80 through the middle of PA or I90 which is upper NY state and slides down into western PA and northeast Ohio, hugging the lake. The latter is 30 miles more. I would like the route that is an easier drive, fewer trucks etc. One person at AAA said 80, the other 90. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 03:55 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,285,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerwoman View Post
Has anyone driven from Mass, Conn, or eastern NY? I can either take I80 through the middle of PA or I90 which is upper NY state and slides down into western PA and northeast Ohio, hugging the lake. The latter is 30 miles more. I would like the route that is an easier drive, fewer trucks etc. One person at AAA said 80, the other 90. Thanks!
Much depends upon where you're starting from, tolerance of tolls, and interest in seeing attractions along the way. I-80 has no tolls, but little to see. I haven't driven it in a long time, but it probably is a favorite of truckers. If you use I-80, consider using route 58 in PA to route 322, both to avoid tolls, cut the hypotenuse, and to see some interesting countryside, including Pymatuning Lake, where the ducks walk on fish and reportedly the second most popular tourist destination in PA.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2204

Also consider I-88, I-17, and I-86, which offers many attractions, such as the Corning Glass Museum, the Finger Lakes, and the Chautauqua Institution.

http://chq.org/season

If you take I-90, consider a stop at Presque Isle and Waldameer, both of which offer free admission. Check out Presque Isle and Kirtland and Mentor (the latter two also are off I-90 as well although in Greater Cleveland) here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Day.Trips.html

Spend some time on Google maps or a similar service.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:49 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,866,532 times
80. There's not that much to see on 90 either, unless you get well off the highway and visit specific sights such as were mentioned by WRnative.

88-17-86 is pretty slow but the Baseball Hall of Fame is also along that route.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:03 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,285,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
80. There's not that much to see on 90 either, unless you get well off the highway and visit specific sights such as were mentioned by WRnative.
Presque Isle/Waldameer Park are about 15 minutes from I-90. In Kirtland, the Kirtland Temple and Historic Kirtland Mormon attractions are about 5 minutes from I-90 and Holden Arboretum is about 10 minutes. I-90 goes through Mentor. Mentor Headlands Beach is 15 minutes from I-90, as is Fairport Harbor with its beach. The James A. Garfield National Historic Site is less than 10 minutes from I-90's intersection with Route 615.

Erie's lakefront also is worth a visit; about 15 minutes from I-90.

I-80 in Ohio would offer Youngstown attractions such as the Butler Institute of American Art. Grove City in PA has a mammoth outlet mall that is a regional shopping mecca.

I-80 also runs close to the Allegheny National Forest. E.g., the Kinzua Bridge overlook is about 75 minutes from I-80. It's a great destination to see fall colors.

KINZUA SKY WALK

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3855448.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/alle...a/?recid=75413

I-86 is even closer to the above Allegheny National Forest attractions.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:08 AM

4,465 posts, read 5,015,098 times
Certainly if you're coming from New York, northern (and even parts of central) Jersey, 1-80, esp through north-central PA, is the straightest, fastest route -- with no tolls! The only problem is it tends to be desolate and you can go for long stretches with no serious town, gas, motel or services. I like the service plazas on the PA Turnpike, but that road, for the most part, is too old and windy-twisty through the mountains, which makes it challenging, esp in inclement weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland