Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 06:32 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times

Advertisements

Of course, I am returning this weekend!

Browns on Sunday. My cousin has tix for Monday's baseball game. Staying downtown so it should be lively with two playoff games starting tomorrow.

I will most likely rent a car Sat. and visit family (Solon/Chagrin). I may walk Rocky Reservation. Have only driven through it. It's just me on this trip.

Any ideas of things within about an hour of CLE? I am looking for something I have not done. I've done it all near and in CLE. I'll still have a rail pass, but I've done everything within reach (but still go to Shaker Sq and Little Italy each visit).

Thanks!

I like to walk so a nice park with trails is fine with me. I like small towns with character. I love lakes! Especially those where one can tube or ski.

PS: I live on the coast of CAL (most of you know me), and it's only rained ONCE since last spring. I miss rain and green trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:07 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
2 beautiful/interesting hits:

-- Chagrin Falls

-- Rocky River Reservation (in Lakewood: Detroit Rd & Cleveland Metro Park Drive, @ the 18900 block).

...but don't sleep on Edgewater Park. (park in new/beautiful Batter Park townhouse/apt neighborhood, then walk through the tunnels under the RR tracks and Shoreway to the new beach house and beyond)... True natural beauty on 3 miles from downtown.

With these, your cousin's view (toward the positive) of Cleveland will never be the same.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:09 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I like to walk so a nice park with trails is fine with me. I like small towns with character. I love lakes! Especially those where one can tube or ski.
Have you been to Holden Arboretum in Kirtland?

Nearby are two good Lake Metroparks -- Penitentiary Glen with a good nature center and Chapin Forest, which has a cross country ski chalet in winter.

Penitentiary Glen Nature Park in Kirtland, Ohio | Lake Metroparks

Chapin Forest - Snowshoe, Ski, Camp, Fish and More | Lake Metroparks

Gildersleeve Mountain is in Chapin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gildersleeve_Mountain

You also could visit the Kirtland Temple, just off I-90 on Route 306 in Kirtland. It's perhaps the most historic site in northeast Ohio and has a good small museum. Historic Kirtland is nearby.

Lake Metroparks Farmpark also is in southern Kirtland and offers a Pumpkin and Corn Festival this weekend.

Lake County Park Event Calendar - Lake Metroparks | Lake Metroparks

Check out also the Mentor, Ohio, attractions here for other hiking opportunities. The James A. Garfield National Historic Site is very good, and it will offer a "Behind the Scenes" tour this Saturday.

https://www.nps.gov/jaga/september-through-november.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Day.Trips.html

Downtown Willoughby, downtown Painesville (check out the interior of the Methodist Church there if it's open and on a Saturday visit, check out Joughin's Hardware, one of the great legacy retail experiences in Greater Cleveland), and Fairport Harbor (definitely visit the beach).

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ille-area.html

See post 5 here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ille-area.html

If you go to Chagrin Falls, you could hike the South Chagrin Reservation.

https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/...in-reservation

If you want to do something different with your RTA pass, take the Healthline to Galluci's. See post 13 here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ivities-2.html

Last edited by WRnative; 10-04-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 10:40 AM
on3

498 posts, read 384,977 times
Head over to Squire’s castle and hit up the trails.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Head over to Squire’s castle and hit up the trails.
I'm not particularly fond of the North Chagrin Reservation trail compared to those in Chapin Forest in the Lake Metroparks or the South Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks.

Even when kid, I didn't get the attraction of Squire's Castle.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:08 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
Might be a good time to check out Akron.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 AM

35 posts, read 27,872 times
Enjoy the rain teacherdad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland