Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times

Advertisements

Many relocation threads discuss Shaker Square, either directly or as part of discussions of Larchmere or other neighborhoods in Shaker Heights.

Shaker Square sometimes is mentioned as an easy dining destination from downtown on the Blue or Green rail rapid lines, as several of Greater Cleveland's best restaurants are an easy walk from the rail rapid station. These include EDWINs, Fire, and the Balaton.

As an effort is underway to rejuvenate Shaker Square, it seems fitting that Shaker Square would have its own thread. This article is one of the best that I've seen about Shaker Square, featuring nice pictures and even maps. It's written by Steven Litt, perhaps the premier journalist at Cleveland.com.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life-...g-kicks-o.html

The aerial photographs well demonstrate how high-rise residential buildings surrounding Shaker Square make it Cleveland proper's most densely populated neighborhood. Drone photography offers a new perspective into understanding our urban areas, a perspective not truly gained by most persons' typical ground level experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 08:56 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times
I have not actually walked Shaker Lakes...seems close to the Sq.

Dewey's Coffee better not go anywhere. That's a key reason I take the line out there in the winter. Bringing my brother in 2 weeks who has never stayed downtown or taken the rail.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:24 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Shaker Square is a gem. I visited it not once but twice during my visit to Cleveland. I sincerely hope it never loses its luster.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:49 AM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Indeed, Shaker Square is a gem and long been recognized, even internationally, as such: a pleasant, low key village square directly served by rail rapid transit directly through its center. It's long been a model TOD urban area... The apartment density along the main corridors supplemented by classic Cleveland housing -- mostly woodframe, on quiet side streets accents the area... The quaint and quirky Larchmere strip a long block to the north (.2 miles from the Square, to be exact), enhances the area even more along with the beautiful Shaker Heights houses, many of the mansions, and the Shaker Lakes several blocks east.

The most unfortunate negative is the deterioration of the Buckeye district to the south which has been creeping up to the very edges of the Square. Many of the beautiful old apartment complexes marching along South Moreland are vacant and shabby, almost like their East Cleveland counterparts on some levels... The biggest problem in Buckeye is that crook, city councilman Ken Johnson, who has pocketed state and federal fixup and outreach funds funneled through his pet Buckeye-Shaker Development Corp.... Johnson has done little or nothing to help the middle and lower-income people and mom-and-pop small businesses that could help fuel a comeback much like what happened along similarly-built Larchmere to the North. Thankfully Mark Naymick of the PD, as well as Scene Magazine, has been highlighting Johnson's shenanigans to the extent he will be driven out of office -- and possibly to jail -- soon... We can only hope cause the Buckeye and lower Shaker Square area residents are overwhelmingly hard-working, good people who don't deserve this.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Indeed, Shaker Square is a gem and long been recognized, even internationally, as such: a pleasant, low key village square directly served by rail rapid transit directly through its center. It's long been a model TOD urban area... The apartment density along the main corridors supplemented by classic Cleveland housing -- mostly woodframe, on quiet side streets accents the area... The quaint and quirky Larchmere strip a long block to the north (.2 miles from the Square, to be exact), enhances the area even more along with the beautiful Shaker Heights houses, many of the mansions, and the Shaker Lakes several blocks east.

The most unfortunate negative is the deterioration of the Buckeye district to the south which has been creeping up to the very edges of the Square. Many of the beautiful old apartment complexes marching along South Moreland are vacant and shabby, almost like their East Cleveland counterparts on some levels... The biggest problem in Buckeye is that crook, city councilman Ken Johnson, who has pocketed state and federal fixup and outreach funds funneled through his pet Buckeye-Shaker Development Corp.... Johnson has done little or nothing to help the middle and lower-income people and mom-and-pop small businesses that could help fuel a comeback much like what happened along similarly-built Larchmere to the North. Thankfully Mark Naymick of the PD, as well as Scene Magazine, has been highlighting Johnson's shenanigans to the extent he will be driven out of office -- and possibly to jail -- soon... We can only hope cause the Buckeye and lower Shaker Square area residents are overwhelmingly hard-working, good people who don't deserve this.
I agree with you 100% on Johnson. I can't stand for him at all, I didn't vote for him in the election last year. A lot of older people keep voting Johnson back into office constantly. Why I don't know? Some elderly people keep vote for them because he has city workers cut their grass. And, he's piggybacking by receiving a councilman's pay and retirement pay.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:42 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I agree with you 100% on Johnson. I can't stand for him at all, I didn't vote for him in the election last year. A lot of older people keep voting Johnson back into office constantly. Why I don't know? Some elderly people keep vote for them because he has city workers cut their grass. And, he's piggybacking by receiving a councilman's pay and retirement pay.
Same politics here in parts of MA. Many of those said older individuals came from the generation who could not trust anyone over the age of 30. Now that they themselves way are over 30, they cannot trust anyone UNDER the age of 30. In order to renew and revitalize itself, a city sometimes has to bring in new blood.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:16 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
In its current incarnation Shaker Square is a bit overrated but full of potential (it, along with Larchmere, has the bones and ... tone for a significant art studio destination i.e. a Miami Wynwood or Chicago Pilsen). But before anything, it needs to have a visible security presence. Then offer some of the vacancies to art shop or boutique retailer pop ups. Little things like that make a huge impact for the area's success.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:57 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Larchmere strip a long block to the north (.2 miles from the Square, to be exact)
It is funny how Larchmere and Shaker Square are treated as two distinct areas. I think of them as distinct things myself, but it's really only one block of residential that separates the two.

Quote:
The most unfortunate negative is the deterioration of the Buckeye district to the south which has been creeping up to the very edges of the Square. Many of the beautiful old apartment complexes marching along South Moreland are vacant and shabby, almost like their East Cleveland counterparts on some levels
Agreed! I know part of the planning right now is addressing the connections from Buckeye to the Square. It's rather cutoff from that neighborhood despite the proximity.

I'm also surprised by the condition of some of the South Moreland apartment buildings. One would think there'd be budget tenants wanting to be near the Square and in the Shaker Heights school district, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe this is a byproduct of the generally cheap housing market in our area...there's quite a few affordable apartments in nearby nicer areas.

The Buckeye neighborhood in pretty sorry shape, but I do think there's hope for it in the long term. The main drag is actually pretty in-tact and could be a flourishing and attractive business district one day. There's a lot of untapped potential there. It will probably remain untapped until Cleveland as a whole begins to rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
But before anything, it needs to have a visible security presence. Then offer some of the vacancies to art shop or boutique retailer pop ups. Little things like that make a huge impact for the area's success.
What vacancies? The current tenant mix is a little restaurant heavy, but I don't see a bunch of empty storefronts.

I don't understand your comment about security either. If anything, Shaker Square's security presence is too visible. My first few visits left me with a "Yikes, is Cleveland really that bad?" feeling. I mean do we need bullet proof vest wearing security guards walking the Square or stationed in Yours Truly and a movie theater?

Old 11-19-2018, 09:59 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
In its current incarnation Shaker Square is a bit overrated but full of potential (it, along with Larchmere, has the bones and ... tone for a significant art studio destination i.e. a Miami Wynwood or Chicago Pilsen). But before anything, it needs to have a visible security presence. Then offer some of the vacancies to art shop or boutique retailer pop ups. Little things like that make a huge impact for the area's success.
Spoken like a true Chicagoan lol (sarcasm) JK.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:01 PM

227 posts, read 197,923 times
Shaker Square is awesome but I think it's at risk of losing its importance. The Van Aken District is making lots of noise and attracting a younger, more vibrant crowd. I'd rather put my office there than SS. Pinecrest is also capturing lots of the higher income folks. And you still have Eton Chagrin. UC and LI are also positioning themselves as similar shopping/eating/walking destinations.

In thinking about what SS can offer that the others can't... IMO it's really a more historical, semi-urban, integrated experience. Being able to take the rail directly into the square, grab dinner and drinks at Edwins or Zanzibar and then a movie is nice. The potential is certainly there... just a little lackluster in terms of vibrancy and development imo.

I think one way to address this is to extend the RTA lines into Beachwood and Solon. Give those folks a nice experience of coming into Shaker Square for shopping and dinner. Also, creating direct access from UC/LI to SS would make lots of sense to get more of the younger student crowd there.

But also new development. Remodeling and extending the movie theater. A parking garage and decent sized office building. A music venue/lively sports bar with shuffle board type games?

EDIT: Also, from a more functional/urban-planning POV... the area feels disjointed and disconnected by road ways. Building land bridges over Shaker Blvd. and restricting vehicle access to the "circle" itself might help.

Last edited by HueysBack; 11-19-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland