Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 06:58 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

I don't know about Metroparks, but Central Park was a reverse form of urban renewal. You may as well say it was redlining before redlining. I wouldn't want to think that the Metroparks had that legacy.

Then again the original WTC and a lot of other stuff in NYC comes about through similar circumstances so it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Agree, Central Park and CVNP are really two different concepts and both deserve pause to see their impact. More so Central Park though. Its hard to measure Central Park's impact on NYC but it is huge, the whole concept of setting aside over 800 acres in the center of a burgeoning business district is rarely done in the history of the world. Central Park's impact goes well beyond NYC though, demonstrating to the world how a maginot line is drawn between capitalism and conservation, not everything is for sale no matter the price.

CVNP also represents this ideal but much less dramatic. Nonetheless, CVNP is a source of immense pride for me. Using eminent domain to stop the sprawl was a proud moment in NEO history.
I am also very happy that the land between Cleveland and Akron there didn't just because sprawly strip malls as surely would have been the case. I think we need a lot more conservation in the area. Might as well make good use of some of the empty space. Could end up being a major plus.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I am also very happy that the land between Cleveland and Akron there didn't just because sprawly strip malls as surely would have been the case. I think we need a lot more conservation in the area. Might as well make good use of some of the empty space. Could end up being a major plus.
Sometimes it is better to just go back to nature.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:06 AM

99 posts, read 73,388 times
Is there any possibility that Akron-Canton merge before Cleveland-Akron?

Old 04-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westakron1 View Post
Is there any possibility that Akron-Canton merge before Cleveland-Akron?
Literally, or MSA or CSA?

If you mean literally, there are just entirely too many cities between Cleveland and Akron for that to ever happen. Not as many between Akron and Canton, but that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be opposition.

If you're talking MSA all three cities are already in the same CSA, but each with their own distinct MSA. Canton already has a MSA it shares with Massilon.

There's a map on Wikipedia that does a good job of illustrating the MSAs.

Map of the Cleveland-Akron-Canton, Ohio CSA Based on 2013 U.S. Census Definitions

I actually like it the way that it is. Where I'm at now, they have sort of done that with the MSA and people want to make one city but I don't think that's a good idea. But I'm not a local here so my opinions are different.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:44 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,651 times
Regarding my CVNP to Central Park comment that spun off chatter, for what it’s worth, I was merely saying CVNP almost looks like the Central Park of the Cleveland-Akron area from this specific map/view:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/maps/Overview/OTM2007ALG.jpg

Not to mention, this map really shows the connectedness of the region as a whole.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Literally, or MSA or CSA?

If you mean literally, there are just entirely too many cities between Cleveland and Akron for that to ever happen. Not as many between Akron and Canton, but that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be opposition.

If you're talking MSA all three cities are already in the same CSA, but each with their own distinct MSA. Canton already has a MSA it shares with Massilon.

There's a map on Wikipedia that does a good job of illustrating the MSAs.

Map of the Cleveland-Akron-Canton, Ohio CSA Based on 2013 U.S. Census Definitions

I actually like it the way that it is. Where I'm at now, they have sort of done that with the MSA and people want to make one city but I don't think that's a good idea. But I'm not a local here so my opinions are different.
I was asking on a MSA Level in response to the original post about Cleveland and Akron becoming an MSA. I live in Akron and am aware that all three are apart of the same CSA. I should have been more specific in my post.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:17 AM

994 posts, read 779,958 times
Quote:
I was asking on a MSA Level in response to the original post about Cleveland and Akron becoming an MSA. I live in Akron and am aware that all three are apart of the same CSA. I should have been more specific in my post.
To answer the question, no. The combined flow between Summit and Stark County is 19.53 percent (14.49 percent Stark to Summit; and 5.1 percent Summit to Stark) ... compared to 24.11 between Summit and Cuyahoga/Lorain (the Cleveland MSA core counties).

I know I have the exact numbers somewhere but can't find the spreadsheet, but I'm almost positive that the percentage of traffic flow between Summit and Stark counties has actually gone down very slightly between 2011 and 2017. If I can find that, I'll edit this with the numbers, but I recall that while there has been an increase of commuters from Summit into Stark County, there was a larger decline in commuters from Stark into Summit.

With that being said, the MSA boundary that separates the Akron MSA from the Canton MSA has to be one of the most interesting ones to me because driving on I-77 the only reason you can tell which MSA you are in is due to the "Now entering Stark" or "Now entering Summit" county signs that are posted at Mount Pleasant Road.

The Akron-Canton Airport is technically in two MSAs (though about 90 percent of it is in Summit County, but due to the runway extension that cut off Mount Pleasant Road, a good chunk of that it goes into Stark County).

More interesting, at least to me, is that Fortune 500/1,000 corporations Timken Company and Diebold Nixdorf both have their world headquarters on Mount Pleasant Road (Diebold's is technically on the corner of Mount Pleasant and Mayfair roads, so it has a Mayfair street address and actually has a North Canton mailing address). They are roughly 2,000 feet apart. But since Diebold is on the northside of Mount Pleasant Road, it is in Summit County and is part of the Akron MSA and since Timken Company (which also has a North Canton mailing address) is on the southside of Mount Pleasant Road, it is part of the Canton MSA, with I-77 basically running between the two.

Last edited by ClevelandBrown; 05-04-2019 at 12:30 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
To answer the question, no. The combined flow between Summit and Stark County is 19.53 percent (14.49 percent Stark to Summit; and 5.1 percent Summit to Stark) ... compared to 24.11 between Summit and Cuyahoga/Lorain (the Cleveland MSA core counties).

I know I have the exact numbers somewhere but can't find the spreadsheet, but I'm almost positive that the percentage of traffic flow between Summit and Stark counties has actually gone down very slightly between 2011 and 2017. If I can find that, I'll edit this with the numbers, but I recall that while there has been an increase of commuters from Summit into Stark County, there was a larger decline in commuters from Stark into Summit.

With that being said, the MSA boundary that separates the Akron MSA from the Canton MSA has to be one of the most interesting ones to me because driving on I-77 the only reason you can tell which MSA you are in is due to the "Now entering Stark" or "Now entering Summit" county signs that are posted at Mount Pleasant Road.

The Akron-Canton Airport is technically in two MSAs (though about 90 percent of it is in Summit County, but due to the runway extension that cut off Mount Pleasant Road, a good chunk of that it goes into Stark County).

More interesting, at least to me, is that Fortune 500/1,000 corporations Timken Company and Diebold Nixdorf both have their world headquarters on Mount Pleasant Road (Diebold's is technically on the corner of Mount Pleasant and Mayfair roads, so it has a Mayfair street address and actually has a North Canton mailing address). They are roughly 2,000 feet apart. But since Diebold is on the northside of Mount Pleasant Road, it is in Summit County and is part of the Akron MSA and since Timken Company (which also has a North Canton mailing address) is on the southside of Mount Pleasant Road, it is part of the Canton MSA, with I-77 basically running between the two.
Thank you! Do you know if Portage County is counted as a Akron core MSA county? This would affect the meger, correct?

Old 05-06-2019, 06:48 PM

994 posts, read 779,958 times
Quote:
Thank you! Do you know if Portage County is counted as a Akron core MSA county? This would affect the meger, correct?
Only Summit is Akron's core county because if Portage was included it would have been the Cleveland-Akron to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland