Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 12:11 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times

Advertisements

I know that I bought a home in Bay 1.5 years ago and in the last 3 months, Zillow has it really increasing in value. Surprised me. It's rented for another few months and hopefully she resigns the lease. The area there is just blocks from Crocker Park, but also SUPER close to the park at the beach area in Bay. Small town feel with a LOT of people outdoors doing recreation and that's one reason we liked that area. I prefer downtown (without kids) with no car.

Not sure you have ventured out there, but wanted to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 09:50 AM

227 posts, read 197,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_j_planning View Post
OP, I also live in Shaker Heights and work in Cleveland (downtown). Shaker Heights is a very unique community and offers a suite of characteristics (i.e. lifestyle) that you buy into when you move there; either you want those things (older homes, density, transit, and diverse, liberal, highly-educated and engaged constituents, etc.) or you don't want them. If you want them, then the cost of living in Shaker makes more sense because you value Shaker's characteristics. If you don't want these characteristics, then the cost of living (house price, home maintenance, property and income taxes, etc.) in Shaker seems unjustifiable.

It sounds like you prefer a more conventional, suburban experience and the westside, lakefront suburbs of River, Bay and Avon Lake would suit your purposes. Westlake or Avon would also be possibilities, with many new housing developments. Much depends on financial position and what you can afford. I'm sure you'll find the right home in the right community to meet your needs. Enjoy your search!
This.

Also, I'll add that I've noticed a lot of westsider's have strange, unfounded opinions of the east suburbs. A lot of it almost seems racially motivated. "It's getting worse" is really just coded language in my opinion. For instance, Medina County has been in the news a bunch lately for some serious crimes yet I don't hear anybody saying it's on the decline.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:15 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times
I spend time in Shaker and the Heights usually very visit. It's very nice and never had an issue. I live on the west coast as many of you know. Racial crap is not just in Ohio.

My daughter went to a Quinceanera last night for a girl in her high school. One of her "friends" texted, "I'm scared. You never know what those people might do." WTF???? My kid was so pissed. Anyway, she had the best time and loved it. The other kid opted not to go. In life you have to rid yourself of toxic friendships and know you can't control what others do or say, nor are you responsible for their behavior.

IF the area you are living doesn't do it for you, no one on this board can tell you where to go- nor should we. I might love an area and you hate it.

If you are not getting your fit, be honest with yourself and ask why? It might be little things. There are times I look at buying south of CLE a bit for 3 acres and space and other times on 4th and Euclid.

Make a list of YOUR likes and what's important and then see a realtor who KNOWS CLE well.

Goodluck!

Old 05-26-2019, 01:32 PM

60 posts, read 59,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
This.

Also, I'll add that I've noticed a lot of westsider's have strange, unfounded opinions of the east suburbs. A lot of it almost seems racially motivated. "It's getting worse" is really just coded language in my opinion. For instance, Medina County has been in the news a bunch lately for some serious crimes yet I don't hear anybody saying it's on the decline.

The people who have told me to stay away from Willowick, Wickliffe, Mentor, Willoughby, Eastlake, etc, are all people who live there now or lived there. I’ve asked in multiple FB groups and I keep getting told the same. It’s getting worse, riff raff moved in, stores moving out, it’s not the same quaint community it used to be. Not one or two people telling me this, but dozens. People basically saying, we predict in 10, 20, 30 years, it’s going to become Euclid. Even without those comments, my wife and I don’t really prefer those areas anyways. I don’t get the “it’s turning into Euclid” vibe that so many have told me, it’s just we prefer the closeness to the airport, we feel the shopping is better on the west side.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:45 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt1eRatt1e View Post
The people who have told me to stay away from Willowick, Wickliffe, Mentor, Willoughby, Eastlake, etc, are all people who live there now or lived there. I’ve asked in multiple FB groups and I keep getting told the same. It’s getting worse, riff raff moved in, stores moving out, it’s not the same quaint community it used to be. Not one or two people telling me this, but dozens. People basically saying, we predict in 10, 20, 30 years, it’s going to become Euclid. Even without those comments, my wife and I don’t really prefer those areas anyways. I don’t get the “it’s turning into Euclid” vibe that so many have told me, it’s just we prefer the closeness to the airport, we feel the shopping is better on the west side.
Admittedly, none of those towns ever wow-ed me as places to live, but the reactions of the people you noted sounds very racial to me...

... I'm curious about your strong reaction against Shaker Heights. Other than its wacko RE taxes, I rarely hear this. Maybe some don't like SH's diversity or liberal politics... Clear to elaborate? Not saying you're wrong, because we all have preferences; I'm just curious.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:34 AM

227 posts, read 197,923 times
Quote:
If you don't prefer those areas that's fine. In terms of "becoming Euclid"... It matters what you mean by that. Black folks moving in? Maybe. Rapid disinvestment, white flight and rise in poverty related crimes? Not likely. I don't see the same factors at play. Folks fled East Cleveland into Euclid.

Shopping is decent on the west side but there are way more options on the east side. Pinecrest, Beachwood Mall, Legacy, Eton, Great Lakes Mall, and a bunch of other smaller options like Shaker Square, Van Aken and a half dozen or more large strip malls. Plus you're a short drive to the Aurora Outlet Mall. There's more wealth in the east suburbs (outer ring) so that makes sense.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
There's more wealth in the east suburbs (outer ring) so that makes sense.
Actually there's more wealth in the so-called inner-ring as well: Shaker, lower Cleveland Heights and Beachwood, esp. I don't think the "ring" is definitive.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Actually there's more wealth in the so-called inner-ring as well: Shaker, lower Cleveland Heights and Beachwood, esp. I don't think the "ring" is definitive.
... you can thrown in Bratenahl, too, as a wealthy, East Side so-called "inner-ring" suburb...

Old 06-02-2019, 07:47 AM
on3

498 posts, read 383,610 times
Quote:
That’s one of the cities I’ve looked at, along with places like Mentor, Wickliffe, Willowick, etc. I’ve been told recently in the past 10 years that crime has picked up as trouble keeps heading east. One reason why people have directed me towards west and south of Cleveland.
This is true, but you still have Concord, Willoughby Hills, and certain parts of Mentor that are nice.

People that can afford to live there choose those places over:

Eastlake
Wickliffe
Willowick
Willoughby
Painseville
Euclid

In the west I’d pretty much only live in Westlake or Olmstead falls. Maybe Bay Village or Rocky River.

Those locations are better than

Strongsville (congested)
Parma
Brecksville
Berea
North Olmstead
Colombia Station
North Ridgeville
Elyria

Old 06-28-2019, 12:06 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
This is true, but you still have Concord, Willoughby Hills, and certain parts of Mentor that are nice.

People that can afford to live there choose those places over:

Eastlake
Wickliffe
Willowick
Willoughby
Painseville
Euclid

In the west I’d pretty much only live in Westlake or Olmstead falls. Maybe Bay Village or Rocky River.

Those locations are better than

Strongsville (congested)
Parma
Brecksville
Berea
North Olmstead
Colombia Station
North Ridgeville
Elyria
What do you have against Rocky River, Lakewood or Fairview Park? Those are the only places I'd live on the westside. Westlake is too congested and currently quite overpriced. I find no similarities between RR and Bay. At all. Bay is a sleepy town that's mostly residential and quiet. I would NEVER live in Bay Village, but I'd live in Rocky River... that's coming from someone who has been on the westside for a decade or so. Rocky River is more urban, more shopping, closer to downtown/metro parks. Fairview Park home prices have gone up, but the affordability is really intriguing and the rec center is the best I've ever been to. I'd certainly chose RR, Lakewood or Fairview over Concord, Willoughby Hills and Mentor. There is literally zero appeal for me in any of those cities. I also find some of the stigma about Rocky River funny about being yuppy, when Westlake, Bay, Avon, etc are all more prosperous currently.

I guess the main point is this; it's completely subjective where someone wants to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland