Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 07:08 PM

25 posts, read 19,433 times

Advertisements

I've been obsessed with moving to Cleveland for years... figured I should actually get my butt out there to check out the towns rather than just poking around online!

A bit of background: my boyfriend's family is from Bedford; my family's from Milwaukee. We both grew up visiting our respective family's every summer so we have a lot of connection to the Midwest.

I have two trips planned: July (gotta go to training camp!) and December (want to check out Cleveland at Christmas).

The general areas we're looking at are:
- Lakewood
- Shaker Heights
- Cleveland Heights
- Hudson
- Old Brooklyn
- North Canton

We haven't started looking at the specific neighborhoods within each of the areas, though. And we're definitely open to other areas, these are just the ones we've looked at so far. (Also, his aunt still lives there, so we'll be staying with her when we visit. And if we move, we'll stay with her till we find a permanent place, so there isn't a big rush to 'pick something'.)

I'm 26, he's 30, we don't drink or smoke, I'm half-Filipino, half-white; he's white with a Spanish last name. I'd love to live somewhere walkable/bikeable to some restaurants/shops. Being close to public transport isn't a necessity but is a plus, since it'd be nice to be able to go the city without a car. Safe area and decent school system since we want kids but can't afford private school. I'd like to be able to walk on the weekends with dogs, have friendly neighbors, live in a clean, well kept area. My idyllic suburban dream, I guess.

(To talk budget quickly, we currently live in a 2 bedroom condo in a very nice suburb north of LA that cost $415,000 in 2017. I'd like to spend $100-200k on a 3+ bedroom home (less if I do a 'fixer-upper') because I know our pay will be less there, and I'd like to be able to save more.)

My main ask here (sorry for the rambling) is on how to optimize my visit. On one hand, it'll be my first time in Cleveland so I want to check out the actual city like a tourist, but since we won't be living downtown I want to make sure we spend enough time touring the suburbs, too.

* Anything I should make sure to hit to see the highs (and lows) of the areas above?

* Any tips you can suggest to optimize my trip? (Like "Visit x first and y second, taking public transport between.")
* Specific neighborhoods I should check out from areas listed above?
* Neighborhoods / suburbs I didn't list above that I should research?
* Any links to websites/Facebooks/Instagrams of cities or towns... (I tried to look at local city websites but not all have info for residents or potential residents. Lakewood actually has a pretty good social presence, I found a cute YouTube video that they're known as a city that walks to school. Little fluff PR things like that, or groups with actual residents, etc.)

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,134,103 times
I'm north of LA! Are you near Calabasas?

I am like you, but do get to CLE 4-5x per year. I will be there mid July (baseball all star week). Again for Browns vs. Rams.

I have family from Solon and CLE going back to the early 1900's.

I do not drink or smoke either! LOL I am older... 49.

From what you describe, I'd look around Lakewood. Your price point is a little low as the area around CLE seems to be quickly rising. I bought a home in Bay Village that we rent out and a condo downtown. I would not rule out downtown for a younger couple with no kids.

There's SO MUCH to do!!!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 PM

869 posts, read 1,268,099 times
Welcome to Cleveland!

To answer your specific questions:

* Anything I should make sure to hit to see the highs (and lows) of the areas above?

Lakewood:

Lakewood Park: Lakewood Park.jpeg | NEO House Church Network
41 North Kayak Rental (Lakewood): https://kayak41north.com
Drive down Clifton Blvd...and really all over

Shaker Heights:

Van Aken (potential neighborhood to live...rail, shopping, restaurants, etc) Home - The Van Aken District | Mixed-Use Real Estate in Shaker Heights, OH

* Any tips you can suggest to optimize my trip? (Like "Visit x first and y second, taking public transport between.")

I probably would cross North Canton off your list. It's about an hour south and you'd save a ton of time not going there.

You can do Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights at the same time as they border each other. Enjoy the BEAUTIFUL houses (especially along Fairmount Blvd).

Skaker Heights (Van Aken)
Shaker Square or Larchmere (technically Cleveland city)
Lakewood ... all parts ... main walkable strips are Detroit Ave or Madison Ave
Cleveland Heights .. Cedar-Fairmount, Euclid Height Blvd, Coventry (between Mayfield and Cedar)
Hudson -- Downtown area

Old Brooklyn is Cleveland city and is gentrifying quickly. Would be a low price point with a lot of upside: https://hoodline.com/2019/06/explore...n-neighborhood

Rocky River (borders Lakewood on the lake) - https://www.downtownriver.com
Edgewater Park (Cleveland) area https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...land_Ohio.html

If you get a chance, check out Little Italy and University Circle (Art Museum is FREE!)

Last edited by usaf_1832; 06-04-2019 at 09:43 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 PM

Metro Parks and Chagrin Falls (Popcorn Shop) area.

https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/

Lots of places to hike around and it's very pretty.

Walk downtown! East Flats to Tower Building to playhouse Square area.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I'm north of LA! Are you near Calabasas?

I am like you, but do get to CLE 4-5x per year. I will be there mid July (baseball all star week). Again for Browns vs. Rams.

I have family from Solon and CLE going back to the early 1900's.

I do not drink or smoke either! LOL I am older... 49.

From what you describe, I'd look around Lakewood. Your price point is a little low as the area around CLE seems to be quickly rising. I bought a home in Bay Village that we rent out and a condo downtown. I would not rule out downtown for a younger couple with no kids.

There's SO MUCH to do!!!

Wow, I'm in Oak Park! Close!

We really like Lakewood, so that's good to hear. I've heard good things about downtown from people/couples our age (Tremont in particular), but I really want a house since we've spent a few years in a condo. Plus, I've never lived in a city, I much prefer being able to head over for the day/an event and then heading back to a quiet home.

Excited, already planning my 'itinerary'!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
Welcome to Cleveland!

To answer your specific questions:

Lakewood:

Lakewood Park: Lakewood Park.jpeg | NEO House Church Network
41 North Kayak Rental (Lakewood): https://kayak41north.com
Drive down Clifton Blvd...and really all over

Shaker Heights:

Van Aken (potential neighborhood to live...rail, shopping, restaurants, etc) Home - The Van Aken District | Mixed-Use Real Estate in Shaker Heights, OH

I probably would cross North Canton off your list. It's about an hour south and you'd save a ton of time not going there.

You can do Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights at the same time as they border each other. Enjoy the BEAUTIFUL houses (especially along Fairmount Blvd).

Skaker Heights (Van Aken)
Shaker Square or Larchmere (technically Cleveland city)
Lakewood ... all parts ... main walkable strips are Detroit Ave or Madison Ave
Cleveland Heights .. Cedar-Fairmount, Euclid Height Blvd, Coventry (between Mayfield and Cedar)
Hudson -- Downtown area

Rocky River (borders Lakewood on the lake) - https://www.downtownriver.com
Edgewater Park (Cleveland) area https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...land_Ohio.html

If you get a chance, check out Little Italy and University Circle (Art Museum is FREE!)

Thank you for the reply! So helpful. I'll take a look at all the links. Good to know about North Canton... for some reason I thought it was farther north / closer to the city? A home blogger I follow on Instagram lives there and her neighborhood is beautiful.

Cleveland Heights / Shaker Heights has BEAUTIFUL homes! I've already been trolling Trulia, just for fun. Maybe it's because I'm used to all the condos/apartments in California that have zero personality and the suburban homes that all look the same, but the homes are SO cute on the outside, they have so much personality whether they're brick or are "tudor-shaped". And some are *really* cheap... which brings out the skeptic (and the optimist) in me. I do like the idea of a fixer upper for builder grade / outdated stuff.

Will add Little Italy and University Circle to my list of activities!

Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 PM

Sent you Private Message

Old 06-05-2019, 02:01 AM

24,338 posts, read 22,887,254 times
I've seen some of the more distant Cleveland suburbs to the SE and was pretty impressed. Chagrin Falls and Aurora. Very upscale housing and shopping but you see many amish around. Get a little further out and you get into some rural areas of fields and marshes and woodlots and small towns. Some signs of the rust belt towards Youngstown and Warren eventually.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,910,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by responsiblestranger View Post
I'd love to live somewhere walkable/bikeable to some restaurants/shops. Being close to public transport isn't a necessity but is a plus, since it'd be nice to be able to go the city without a car. Safe area and decent school system since we want kids but can't afford private school. I'd like to be able to walk on the weekends with dogs, have friendly neighbors, live in a clean, well kept area. My idyllic suburban dream, I guess.
Sounds like Shaker Heights to me. Light rail to downtown, safe, well regarded schools (especially if you ask actual residents, not just school ranking sites), about a million people walking dogs and strollers, active community groups, well maintained homes and parks with very little blight.

There's also a large number of condos if you decide to stick with a condo.

The only obstacle is the price. Only about half of the neighborhoods fall within your price range for a house: Larchmere, Ludlow, Moreland, Lomond, and Sussex. Property taxes are high too, so that might even limit your options further. But it's definitely not completely out of your price range.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Sounds like Shaker Heights to me. Light rail to downtown, safe, well regarded schools (especially if you ask actual residents, not just school ranking sites), about a million people walking dogs and strollers, active community groups, well maintained homes and parks with very little blight.

There's also a large number of condos if you decide to stick with a condo.

The only obstacle is the price. Only about half of the neighborhoods fall within your price range for a house: Larchmere, Ludlow, Moreland, Lomond, and Sussex. Property taxes are high too, so that might even limit your options further. But it's definitely not completely out of your price range.
Know what's funny - I've been taking notes as I read through other threads, and I actually took notes from one of your other posts! This one.

We'll definitely check out Shaker Heights (will probably focus on Shaker, Cleveland Heights, and Lakewood for our July trip) - and we're deciding between staying with his aunt in Maple Heights or staying in AirBNB's in each area to try and get a feel for the area.

From your post that I linked above:
I really like the Cedar Lee and Cedar Fairmont areas, based on what I've seen on the Cleveland Heights website describing the shopping in the areas, and the homes I've seen online that seem to be pretty affordable. It's hard to tell the true crime rates there, though, because while it says 'lowest crime compared to Cuyahoga County' there are recent listings under crime for theft/ assault/ arrest/ burglary. I don't know how I'd be able to judge in person, either... I guess I could just go at different times of day, walk around, see how safe I feel / who's walking around and how people treat each other. I'd like to talk to neighbors, too... hopefully everyone's friendly and doesn't mind my nosy Qs.

As for Shaker, I like the Fernway / Lomond areas (again, just from what I've seen and read online). Fernway seems to be a more expensive area, there are only 3 homes right now under $200k.

For Shaker, I am worried about taxes. The property tax plus income tax... plus I think if you work out of county (so if I worked downtown), you get taxed again? Definitely something I'll need to factor in. Definitely would stay with my boyfriend's family or do a short term rental somewhere first before committing.

Is Cleveland Heights known for being as 'suburban' as Shaker? Friendly neighbors, civic pride, community, walkability, dog walking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland