Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 06:53 AM

185 posts, read 247,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Why is Cleveland focusing on downtown? Why aren't there more projects that focus on renovating abandoned houses and getting rid of the crime?

Because you build from the core outwards, dummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Why is Cleveland focusing on downtown? Why aren't there more projects that focus on renovating abandoned houses and getting rid of the crime?
Cleveland isn't focusing soley on downtown. I don't even understand that comment.
and please explain how Cleveland is going to go about renovating abandoned houses? You want Cleveland to get into the Real Estate market? Maybe Cleveland should just knock those houses down. After all, with a declining population, who is going to move into those?
O wait... Cleveland IS knocking them down. 1,500+ last year.
And how do we just "get rid of crime"?

If you're going to debate, KNOW what you're talking about.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:35 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Fixing up houses is not the government's job. If you wnt houses to be fixed up, you buy them and you fix them up. You want them to rennovate them for..... who exactly to inhabit? If you think you found a great area that just needs a little TLC and people will flock there, that is a great plan and you should start buying up some property and cash in later.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Cleveland Clinic isn't doing as well as they say on the news. A lot of the money goes to Hillcrest Hospital, more than should be anyways.
Quote:
2 more RERE gems, I see.

Dude, Hillcrest provides about 2% of CCF's revenue. It's a small, annexed satellite hospital. It shouldn't even be discussed when talking about the overall revenue or provision of care with regards to CCF.

The people who are investing in Cleveland are focusing on downtown. City government also understands that a large city needs a strong nucleus and are therefore fostering the development in any way they can. Ultimately, it's up to the private investor where they wish to place housing as it is their cash at stake. When cities build housing, they're usually referred to as "projects."

Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownballr27 View Post
Can you site some sources? No one believes a word you say. I'm surprised you're even allowed to use a keyboard.
reretarff may be able to cite some sources. Sure you want to guarantee that you make more money than me...lol

Old 08-15-2014, 06:55 PM

493 posts, read 639,275 times
Quote:
Can you site some sources? No one believes a word you say. I'm surprised you're even allowed to use a keyboard.
I've talked to friends and family who work for Cleveland Clinic at several different hospitals and office buildings, and they all say that Cleveland Clinic pays more attention to Hillcrest and the main campus than they do to buildings like Beachwood or Euclid or Solon or the now closed Huron.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Because you build from the core outwards, dummy.
The residential neighborhoods make up most of Cleveland and most of them are doing bad, which explains why Cleveland's losing population. Why focus more on 20 blocks of the already thriving downtown, instead of doing something to fix the thousands of other blocks where there's lots of crime and abandoned buildings?

Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Cleveland isn't focusing soley on downtown. I don't even understand that comment.
and please explain how Cleveland is going to go about renovating abandoned houses? You want Cleveland to get into the Real Estate market? Maybe Cleveland should just knock those houses down. After all, with a declining population, who is going to move into those?
O wait... Cleveland IS knocking them down. 1,500+ last year.
And how do we just "get rid of crime"?

If you're going to debate, KNOW what you're talking about.
I've heard of over 10 different projects going on in downtown just this week, but I haven't heard of many projects that benefit the residential neighborhoods, any time this month.

I never said that Cleveland focuses 100% on downtown, but it's obvious that more projects and more attention goes towards downtown than it does to Glenville and Hough and Puritas and Collinwood and so on.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
2 more RERE gems, I see.

Dude, Hillcrest provides about 2% of CCF's revenue. It's a small, annexed satellite hospital. It shouldn't even be discussed when talking about the overall revenue or provision of care with regards to CCF.

The people who are investing in Cleveland are focusing on downtown. City government also understands that a large city needs a strong nucleus and are therefore fostering the development in any way they can. Ultimately, it's up to the private investor where they wish to place housing as it is their cash at stake. When cities build housing, they're usually referred to as "projects."
Where does it say that Hillcrest only provides 2%?

It's not small at all. It's one of the biggest Cleveland Clinic hospitals in the city. It has more expansions and additions than any other individual hospital. There are more doctors and more patients there than there are in any other hospital. Hillcrest also offers more services than any other hospital does. There are over 60 doctors there who's last names start with A, so there are probably hundreds of doctors at Hillcrest.

From the Cleveland Clinic Website:

Hillcrest: 496 Beds, $163 Million expansion and renovation projects in November 2010, Cleveland Clinic Neurological Institute, 17 Medical Specialties, $48 Million expansion and renovation project in 1994, Current renovations began in 2011 and are proposed to be finished at the end of this year, hundreds of doctors and nurses.

Euclid: 371 beds, Best rehabilitation and orthopedic services in Cleveland, 14 specialty medical services.

South Pointe: 173 Beds, 16 specialty medical services, No renovations or expansions said on the website, Offers some services.

My point is, even though all the hospitals in the Cleveland Clinic are great, Cleveland Clinic focuses a lot more on hospitals like Hillcrest and the downtown campus.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/default.aspx

Old 08-16-2014, 03:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
^^Has apparently not seen the multi-billion dollar main campus in the city proper.

My point: Hillcrest is a minor part of CCF. I know this because I work in the field.

Also, this might shock you, but doctors are often mobile and go wherever in the network they are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland