Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,803 times

Advertisements

All good stuff!

1) cleveland institute of art unifies with new uptown building

2) two east side neighborhoods spark retail rejuvenation

3) Comic Con is coming to Cleveland this weekend in cleveland: brite winter fest and much more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Very awesome news!

Old 02-19-2015, 03:07 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
Downtown Cleveland apartment occupancy climbs, office supply shrinks due to conversions (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default Perspective

Cleveland 1877:

Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Public Square 1912:

Cleveland 1937:

Cleveland 2006:

What will Cleveland look like in 2046 for its Sestercentennial?

My one prediction is that there will no longer be a stadium on the lakefront.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:41 AM

Do you think that one, or (multiple) teams will have moved? Or do you think the Browns will just move to another section of the city? I tend to think that the Browns are (of the three) the most locked in here. This city lives football. And if you look at the fact that a market like Buffalo is still sustaining a team, it would take A LOT bad happening to lose them.

I think the Cavs are a pretty safe bet as well. There is solid fan support for basketball up here, especially since it's a winter place that you can go that is warm and cozy, the Cavs might becoming an iconic franchise if they win a few titles before the decade is up, and most important of all, they are the only basketball franchise in many directions for quite a few miles. I think they will thrive, and won't go anywhere.

The one I'm most worried about, is the one that I love the most. Progressive Field is my favorite place in the whole wide world, and I just love the nature of baseball, and listening to Tom Hamilton every night. However. I think attendance facts are facts. Perhaps this new renovation will attract more of the stay at home millenial crowd, but with baseball's declining popularity it even worries me that the league might eventually contract. I try to convince myself otherwise by looking at previous stats, sellout streak, more people with money moving close to the city, charter team, TV ratings, but since I care about the team and city so much, I can't help but worry. 81 nights of business downtown is huge to the region, and I just really hope that whoever remains in ownership remains committed to the city.

As far as looking for the city, who could've predicted in 1950 we'd fallen in downtown as much as we did by 1980? Or likewise, the transformation in the city between 1980 and 2010. The only thing I hope is that we retain much about Cleveland of what makes it great. I'm happy about the new Flats East Bank, nuCLEus, the Waterfront etc., but I just hope that those things are additive/appeal to a different set of folks, and that they don't cannibalize the existing historic charm that permeates the city in places like Ohio City or Tremont. Likewise on the East Side, it sort of looks like Uptown, while positive, might be doing the same towards Coventry and Little Italy, which were quite empty last time I visited at least.

I hope that even as the last of the Ellis Island Immigrants aren't around, that the ethnic charm is retained, places like Sokolowski's/Balaton/Slyman's/Mia Bella are not remove in lieu of newer, trendier locales.

I hope that by that time, bikes can be used better as a primary mode of transportation, and that Clevelanders can start to look at the positive of cooler temperatures that include working out, and that it will be a more fit city effectively utilizing natural resources around it.

Great pictures, BTW. The optimist in me says that there might be a few more skyscrapers up by that time, and that the natural beauty of the city will be more apparent.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:05 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Do you think that one, or (multiple) teams will have moved? Or do you think the Browns will just move to another section of the city? I tend to think that the Browns are (of the three) the most locked in here. This city lives football. And if you look at the fact that a market like Buffalo is still sustaining a team, it would take A LOT bad happening to lose them.

I think the Cavs are a pretty safe bet as well. There is solid fan support for basketball up here, especially since it's a winter place that you can go that is warm and cozy, the Cavs might becoming an iconic franchise if they win a few titles before the decade is up, and most important of all, they are the only basketball franchise in many directions for quite a few miles. I think they will thrive, and won't go anywhere.

The one I'm most worried about, is the one that I love the most. Progressive Field is my favorite place in the whole wide world, and I just love the nature of baseball, and listening to Tom Hamilton every night. However. I think attendance facts are facts. Perhaps this new renovation will attract more of the stay at home millenial crowd, but with baseball's declining popularity it even worries me that the league might eventually contract. I try to convince myself otherwise by looking at previous stats, sellout streak, more people with money moving close to the city, charter team, TV ratings, but since I care about the team and city so much, I can't help but worry. 81 nights of business downtown is huge to the region, and I just really hope that whoever remains in ownership remains committed to the city.

As far as looking for the city, who could've predicted in 1950 we'd fallen in downtown as much as we did by 1980? Or likewise, the transformation in the city between 1980 and 2010. The only thing I hope is that we retain much about Cleveland of what makes it great. I'm happy about the new Flats East Bank, nuCLEus, the Waterfront etc., but I just hope that those things are additive/appeal to a different set of folks, and that they don't cannibalize the existing historic charm that permeates the city in places like Ohio City or Tremont. Likewise on the East Side, it sort of looks like Uptown, while positive, might be doing the same towards Coventry and Little Italy, which were quite empty last time I visited at least.

I hope that even as the last of the Ellis Island Immigrants aren't around, that the ethnic charm is retained, places like Sokolowski's/Balaton/Slyman's/Mia Bella are not remove in lieu of newer, trendier locales.

I hope that by that time, bikes can be used better as a primary mode of transportation, and that Clevelanders can start to look at the positive of cooler temperatures that include working out, and that it will be a more fit city effectively utilizing natural resources around it.

Great pictures, BTW. The optimist in me says that there might be a few more skyscrapers up by that time, and that the natural beauty of the city will be more apparent.
My reason is that eventually Cleveland will want a covered stadium, and it would be ridiculous to erect some roofing/HVAC equipment for First Energy Field.

Additionally, First Energy was built on the cheap, even using the old wood pilings from Municipal Stadium. Reportedly, there consequentially are all sorts of maintenance problems which continue to worsen with age. By 2050, First Energy Field will be 50 years old, and it wasn't built to last.

And, as always, everybody knows it is a waste to have stadium on the lakefront.

If Cleveland was smart, it would figure out today where it wants to put the next stadium and start acquiring the land today, so that it isn't developed.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
It's open!!!

Heinen's opens downtown supermarket in renovated Cleveland Trust Building (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 02-25-2015, 11:04 AM

Very good news and great pictures. Sounds like everyone enjoyed it . I hope it won't hurt business at WSM/Gallucci's though I don't think that's a concern. Any word on opening day for the New Flats? Approximately I mean. Like early May?

Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
This place looks incredible; can't wait to check it out myself.

The location is ideal and will have the wow factor for all the visitors to Cleveland, especially those staying in all the new hotels.

Also, I like that it's a local grocer and not necessarily the chain-brands like Whole Foods. Whole Foods would never have done this given the current downtown population. So let all those trendy cities have the same Whole Foods that each has. The Heinen's brand name will spread around once visitors check this place out and go home to their respective hometowns remembering the spectacular exposure they had in The Rotunda. Plus many of the Whole Foods I've been to in trendy cities have a bit of an attitude.

The historical aspects of this place alone make it unique. The same designer of the NYSE exchange, the murals portraying Ohio and the midwest exploration painted by an artist that died on the Titanic.

Good job Heinen's, Geis and Mayor Jackson and a thank you to all as well.

This project will get national and international exposure and should certainly be considered for any architectural reuse awards or recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland