Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 AM

133 posts, read 175,837 times

Advertisements

^ The Metroparks is a huge reason why Detroit-Shoreway will be one the hottest neighborhoods in NEO for the foreseeable future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 07:51 AM

133 posts, read 175,837 times
Cleveland lakefront construction, long a dream, could start in September

Cleveland lakefront construction, long a dream, could start in September (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 06-03-2015, 03:37 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
Cleveland lakefront construction, long a dream, could start in September

Cleveland lakefront construction, long a dream, could start in September (photos) | cleveland.com
And for those new to Cleveland, this new/future neighborhood, along with the new redeveloping flats neighborhood, are connect to the waterfront-line (light rail).

Old 06-03-2015, 03:40 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
First Look: Latest plans for Shaker Heights Van Aken project unveiled (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 06-03-2015, 05:06 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
Totally disappointed in the Van Aken project, they're not taking the blue line across the intersection. It was my hope, as others commented in the cleveland.com article, that this would lead to a park and ride lot off of I-271.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Totally disappointed in the Van Aken project, they're not taking the blue line across the intersection. It was my hope, as others commented in the cleveland.com article, that this would lead to a park and ride lot off of I-271.
Will there even be a paid garage or any other park'n ride opportunity at Van Aken and Warrensville? If not, that's even worse.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
OK Clevelanders;this is food for thought.I know CLE has lost relevance in the past 50 years,but can someone out there explain to me how Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones could skip CLE,the largest msa in the state and home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,on their current tour! How and why did that happen?
I think you have Cleveland confused with the Stones. Talk about irrelevant.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:56 AM

63 posts, read 83,405 times
Yeah,you're right about the Stones Cleveland_ Collector,my bad!

Old 06-04-2015, 11:17 AM

39 posts, read 66,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Will there even be a paid garage or any other park'n ride opportunity at Van Aken and Warrensville? If not, that's even worse.
There is already ample parking in the Van Aken District. The purpose of this project is to redistribute (and hopefully reduce) parking into an above-ground garage, a subterranean garage and street parking. My primary concern is that this project will not go far enough to promote pedestrian, bicycle and transit connections within the District and between the District and adjacent neighborhoods, where there is already considerable residential density; as well as other parts of the region. The old development they propose to replace is like so many others from the 1950s: caters to the car, ensures convenient and plentiful parking and relegates pedestrians, cyclists and transit riders to second-class citizens who must traverse broad parking lots and wide roads to reach their destinations. This might explain why there is a vast sea of surface parking between Van Aken Center and the Blue Line tracks but no sidewalk on the west side of Warrensville Center Road between Farnsleigh Road and Chagrin Boulevard.

As for the Park & Ride at I-271, that idea has not been scrapped. While RTA does not intend to take the light rail line across the Chagrin/Warrensville intersection, they are still exploring the possibilities for express bus service between the Van Aken District and both Harvard Road/I-271 and Northfield Road/I-480. Both areas are experiencing employment growth and there is strong need to connect nodes like University Circle, Shaker Square, Chagrin/Lee, Van Aken District, Chagrin Highlands and Randall Park. For more information on this initiative, visit RTA's website: Blue Line Corridor Extension Study | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:45 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
I also like to further add that CLE has been sitting on its laurels for at least 50 years but has come alive in recent years after being passed up by cities that weren't as relevant 50 years ago! Cleveland was a trail blazer in a couple of areas in the sixties but failed to really capitalize on them.Case in point: The first rapid transit to connect downtown to a major airport...then sit on its laurels! There's hardly been any expansion after that and that was in '68!There's been a myriad of cities that started from scratch with rail systems that have caught up and surpassed CLE by leaps and bounds in the last 40 years...I don't have to say who they are.Another case in point: The first black mayor of a major American city! How much have we built on that? Again,CLE sat on its laurels! Cleveland can be very progressive at times and very conservative and stagnant most of the time! If we keep sitting on our laurels after groundbreaking accomplishments we'll be the third city of Ohio before you know it!This city has great potential to become a great city if we would just exploit that potential to the max.
Clevelanders have not rested on their laurels when it comes to transit. Approved construction of a subway in the 1950s; derailed by politicians, especially the County Engineer at the time. Then in the 1970s, voters approved the creation of the RTA, which promised a regional rail system. Again, derailed by leadership.

I do fault Clevelanders/Cuyahoga County residents for perpetually electing these losers to office. All self-serving, connected d-bags placing themselves and their cronies ahead of residents of Cleveland and NEO in general. Speaking of which, I say Jeff Johnson walking into City Hall this afternoon; he could be Cleveland's next mayor. A convicted felon, sure to derail Cleveland entirely. The fact that he is even in office again speaks volumes of the mentality of the locals that voted him into office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland