Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 01:01 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This absolutely needs to happen. My biggest gripe about downtown are those sprawling lots that make the center of Cleveland feel disconnected and isolated. If we can get 500 people to live there with some shopping, it'll make downtown so much more pleasant. Hopefully the central planners in city government don't ********** up.
Actually, I like the relatively cheap downtown parking, especially west of Public Square.

I understand how that isn't the best use of space, but it certainly is great for visitors to downtown. LOL.

Searching for parking and/or being gouged is never fun in any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 01:20 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Actually, I like the relatively cheap downtown parking, especially west of Public Square.

I understand how that isn't the best use of space, but it certainly is great for visitors to downtown. LOL.

Most cities have dense parking garages. Not nearly as ugly as downtown cle. Those wide open spaces are what separates Ohioan downtowns with their more desirable relatives on the east coast. Apartments will look better, get more people in the city, make everything more walkable, and spur economic activity. No shortage of parking anyway. More and more people will also go carless who live their due to density and ride sharing and growth of biking. I don't see any negatives at all.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Most cities have dense parking garages. Not nearly as ugly as downtown cle. Those wide open spaces are what separates Ohioan downtowns with their more desirable relatives on the east coast. Apartments will look better, get more people in the city, make everything more walkable, and spur economic activity. No shortage of parking anyway. More and more people will also go carless who live their due to density and ride sharing and growth of biking. I don't see any negatives at all.
It's obviously negative for me and others who like to park their cars on the relative cheap close to the action.

Admittedly, it's not great for the city to leave prime real estate undeveloped.

There will be much more expensive downtown parking as the downtown surface lots are developed, and especially so for parking close to Tower City, Gateway and the warehouse district.

Mass transit use should increase.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,082,003 times
Quote:
It's obviously negative for me and others who like to park their cars on the relative cheap close to the action.

Admittedly, it's not great for the city to leave prime real estate undeveloped.

There will be much more expensive downtown parking as the downtown surface lots are developed, and especially so for parking close to Tower City, Gateway and the warehouse district.

Mass transit use should increase.
Just use public Transit or Uber. If it's too expensive or unfeasible from where you live, drive to a nearby lot (like the Muni lot), and take an Uber from there to any downtown spot for about $5.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:50 PM

13 posts, read 26,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF1129 View Post
Informative post. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:11 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,134,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Just use public Transit or Uber. If it's too expensive or unfeasible from where you live, drive to a nearby lot (like the Muni lot), and take an Uber from there to any downtown spot for about $5.
It's never too expensive. People just like to whine. Instead of wringing one's hands over an obvious improvement to downtown because you might have to pay a few extra dollars to park your car, just plan accordingly (park n' ride - free to park, $2.25 each way, muni lot & waterfront line - $3 to park, $2.25 each way, etc.). We have a great transit system in and around the city. Learn it, pay the pittance and use it.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
It's never too expensive.
What ridiculousness!

I'm well aware of Cleveland mass transit options. I use the free bus trolleys frequently. And over many decades have used buses, trains, park-and-rides, etc. between downtown and many suburbs, partially for fun, and often have advised visitors to Greater Cleveland and have received their feedback.

Yet the reality remains that the downtown surface lots west of Public Square and elsewhere downtown are a great convenience and a bargain compared to the experiences in many urban cores in the U.S. You can still park at Tower City on weekdays for $6! You seem to believe that paying $20-30 to park in a garage near Progressive Field for an Indians game is a superior/acceptable experience, compared to $5-10 on a surface lot (or even garage) of Prospect Ave. You must have a lot of money compared to the majority of Americans or are a spendthrift to some degree.

Does the city yet have security/full-time attendants in the Muni parking lot? Are break-ins less frequent? Visitors' time spent utilizing mass transit is valuable to those visitors and obviously most enjoyable when eliminated or minimized. Parking in the Muni parking lot costs $4; your car is less secure; an RTA day pass costs $5 ($20 for four passengers); including Waterfront Line wait times, count on wasting 30-60 minutes. Insults don't change the reality that paying $6-10 to park close to Public Square is a greatly enjoyable experience for visitors.

It's interesting that those responding to my statements that the downtown surface lots are very enjoyable for knowledgeable visitors consistently ignore my comments that development of the surface lots would be very beneficial to the city, even though a negative for visitors who use the lots. An obviously factual statement. Once the surface lots are developed, count on downtown parking doubling or more in cost.

However, making downtown Cleveland more expensive and similar to a Chicago or NYC will change the character of the city, and not necessarily for the better compared to the current experience IMO. Some visitors to downtown, such as myself, likely would greatly cut the frequency of our visits as the costs and hassles become greater, and especially as the University Circle experience becomes ever more relatively enjoyable. E.g., PlayhouseSquare in recent years has significantly raised the cost of attending events there. I wonder how successful it will be in trying to expand the Broadway Series stands by 50 percent next year.

BTW, visitors from the east side have only the Windermere rail rapid park and ride as an option. It's a far inferior option IMO to the several Red Line park-and-rides on the west side.

I much prefer paying to park at the Cleveland Clinic and using the Healthline.

I don't think West Side suburbanites appreciate the superiority of their rail rapid experience.

Even a key station such as the Green Line Green Road station has only 100 parking spaces.

Candidly, some of the self-proclaimed experts on this thread are decidedly ignorant IMO.

Last edited by WRnative; 11-30-2015 at 01:23 AM..

Old 11-30-2015, 06:44 AM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times
One of the reasons I like living where I live is that the city is all connected and not spread out by endless parking kots. Not having surface lots doesn't change the character of a city. Besides, there is already a lot of parking!!! This also ignores the bottom line that the lots are private property and the owner can do whatever they want with it. Would you really not try to be a part of the downtown Renaissance because you want to make sure some suburbanites aren't inconvenienced? At night those lots are almost completely vavant, even on weekends. By the way, the downtown apartments that are sprouting up also have their own parking. People who would have driven to work but now live downtown will have private parking, thus not taking up spaces for the suburbanites.

As for downtown cleveland or any part of Cleveland becoming truly expensive, I'm sorry, that's just laughable. A one bedroom in cleveland downtown is like 1000/month A one bedroom downtown where I live is closer to 3000/month. Cleveland needs about 200,000 more people to get even close to east coast prices.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:26 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,133,599 times
Downtown parking here is about $15 and up for the day. A bus is about 1.80 one way and there is no rail, unless taking Amtrak.

Outside of a few new places on the lake, rent is super cheap compared to major cities on the water. A 2 bd. apt here is about $2200 per month with no amenities. You get one parking spot and that's about it.

I am walking the Statler Arms Monday for this reason.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:30 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,902,464 times
Quote:

It's not fun but woe to the Cleveland business that doesn't provide parking and if not free then at a minimal rate. Glad these lots are going to be history. It is a shame that the original warehouse district is not fully intact. However, I would rather have high density residential on these and as many others as possible and don't mind the mix of 100 year + properties with 21st Century sleek.

Next up: Hippodrome Lot; Public Square, W 9th Street.

I think the parking and paying issue in Cleveland, especially downtown is changing. People with a few bucks will pay.

Cleveland's downtown visitors should use Cleveland's excellent transit system as much as possible if they don't want to pay for parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland