Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 08:20 AM

5,029 posts, read 5,695,381 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Just got back from a full week in the Cleveland area. Here's a general day by day summary

7/9: Went to all star game and festivities, met up with family there. The fan fest was probably the best one I've been to for an event like this. There were many things appealing to both adults and kids, great information booths, autograph areas, and more. I really wanted to do the zipline, however, by the time I got around to it it had sold out. Oh well. Personally, I think something like that if placed well in the city could be a nice permanent attraction (like Fremont Street in Vegas, but less kitschy), but that's just me. Walked around town, including the mall, up through the Arcades, over to have an afternoon lunch at Heinen's (man that building is stunning), across Public Square, and down both Prospect and Euclid. Downtown was really hopping, and showcased itself well. Got to meet Joe Charboneau over at Hofbrauhaus to end the day!

7/10: So, today, we decided to put our location for the week near Lake Erie (in Fairport to be precise), to good use. Went swimming in the lake in the somewhat frigid temps (61*, but didn't actually feel too bad honestly with air temps). Later in the day, we went over to the west side to visit some of my really good friends (have managed to stay in continuous contact in the going on 10+ years since high school, hopefully many more to come! En route, stopped at Edgewater Park. It really is so nice over there. I am impressed with all the development happening in the Gordon Square portion that is connected to the park in particular, and the conversion of the shoreway into a boulevard with a bike path coming alongside seems to be coming along quite nicely (and Hingetown indeed appears to be booming). I love that walk, and forgot how long it was. My wife is absolutely obsessed with Mitchell's, so note that this was one of probably 4 times during the week we had it : )

7/11: Today, we mostly stayed around Lake County, kind of a recovery day. Family lunch, followed by a hike thru Chapin Forest (probably my favorite area hike), seeing a movie, donuts and cider from Patterson's, stuff like that. Also, ran from Fairport to Downtown Painesville and back (cool to be only 3 miles from county seat when already in a somewhat historic/traditional city set up.. not an experience one finds too often in FL!

7/12: Today was probably our most significant day of Cleveland explorations. First stop was the Van Aken District (well, after the delicious Choolaah Indian BBQ for lunch). I had never been before and it is a really interesting and affluent TOD. I had not seen before, and think it is positive for that area, though I hope those businesses, like Shinola, etc, will be able to hang on there. After that, road thru Shaker (always a treat), and stopped at Larchmere District to check out the awesome book store and other stops on the main street there. From there, my 9 y/o nephew and idea (exposing him to love of the city early!) took either the Green or Blue line (don't remember which) from Shaker Square into Tower City. I was a little nervous based on rep of some of areas we were riding thru, but we were totally fine and I was impressed with how comfortable and quick the train operated. From there, we took the Healthline east from Tower City and got off at Levin College of Urban Affairs (my love for Cleveland has transcended into also being a full blown love/fascination for all things city and urban development related, and I know that is one of the best schools for that. Unfortunately, they don't have any online or distance/short/summer certification type programs, but I had to ask, and am still sort of looking! After that, we went to the West Side Market (if you're keeping track, all 3 of Cleveland's Great Places of America from the APA list, one of only 21 US cities to have 3 or more!!), then over to Whiskey Island for walk past the volleyball courts up to the Coast Guard Station (I had never been over there and wanted to see vantage points of city from there). Went to the Indians game in the evening... really, really let one slip there and honestly I think the guy in the 7th was out in first place, reviews got it wrong. At least I got my nephew a ball.

7/13: My birthday. So honestly, I'm type A enough that I wanted to try visiting somewhere different (like a half day drive and back to check out Columbus or Buffalo for a few hours, or like 5 hrs. on Buckeye Trail or something. But even though it was my bday, I wanted to be mindful of my family too so we stayed closer to home. Donuts from a local bakery, 3 hikes in the Metroparks, another trip for kayaking and swimming on the lake, and a date night with my wife in DT Willoughby including a flight at WBC which had a OBJ themed IPA (maybe a bit too early for that? lol).

7/14: Last full day. Ran the Johnnycake Jog, slower than I'd like, it was negative splits because it took me a few miles to put everything together (like, I was at 35 mins or so crossing 3 mile mark, because I felt tight to point I couldn't walk, but then still finished in like 50 mins). Spent time with immediate and extended family throughout afternoon, did one more hike (Chair Factory Falls), and swim in the evening.

7/15: Headed out on this day, mostly just catching up on work and school related stuff in morning, on way to airport though, hit Sokolowski's, the Canalway Visitor Center, ba Sweetie for candy for the road, and for the shoppers in family's sake, Great Northern Mall (I was impressed at how much selection was there actually, being an eastsider, never really heard too much about it).

Anyways, it's always good to be back home! It was humorous hearing everyone including weather people comment on how "hot" it is when realistically a typical summer day in FL has heat index at least 15-20 degrees or more hot even on the quote "hot" days. I really do think that the progression has been, a love for the urban design, architecture, etc. found in Cleveland, and finding this forum to discuss things like that has been a critical element in my eventual hope to leave teaching (at least at K-12 level), and find a career more in that direction after my doctoral work is complete, and this and various forums on here has directed me that way. I used to resent myself for spending so much time on here, and it still isn't so ideal, but now I'm starting to think it's for a reason and all just part of the process of whatever purpose/passion it is that I'm supposed to fill long term.

Next week, I visit one of Cleveland's sister cities (Lima, Peru), and then Cusco (including a tour to Sacred Valley, one day on Inca Trail, and of course, Machu Picchu). Definitely one at top of bucket list, but hey, while my wife and I are still childless, might as well! Anyways, best wishes to all the Clevelanders, from a proud Cleveland expat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,486,932 times
I always say that the Rapid blue/green lines are exceptionally quick and comfortable. It essentially functions as heavy rail too between Shaker Square and Tower City, as the tracks are completely separated from the street. Honestly it's the most pleasant line I've ridden in the USA.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 AM

1,896 posts, read 1,451,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Hello all! Just got back from a full week in the Cleveland area. Here's a general day by day summary

7/9: Went to all star game and festivities, met up with family there. The fan fest was probably the best one I've been to for an event like this. There were many things appealing to both adults and kids, great information booths, autograph areas, and more. I really wanted to do the zipline, however, by the time I got around to it it had sold out. Oh well. Personally, I think something like that if placed well in the city could be a nice permanent attraction (like Fremont Street in Vegas, but less kitschy), but that's just me. Walked around town, including the mall, up through the Arcades, over to have an afternoon lunch at Heinen's (man that building is stunning), across Public Square, and down both Prospect and Euclid. Downtown was really hopping, and showcased itself well. Got to meet Joe Charboneau over at Hofbrauhaus to end the day!

7/10: So, today, we decided to put our location for the week near Lake Erie (in Fairport to be precise), to good use. Went swimming in the lake in the somewhat frigid temps (61*, but didn't actually feel too bad honestly with air temps). Later in the day, we went over to the west side to visit some of my really good friends (have managed to stay in continuous contact in the going on 10+ years since high school, hopefully many more to come! En route, stopped at Edgewater Park. It really is so nice over there. I am impressed with all the development happening in the Gordon Square portion that is connected to the park in particular, and the conversion of the shoreway into a boulevard with a bike path coming alongside seems to be coming along quite nicely (and Hingetown indeed appears to be booming). I love that walk, and forgot how long it was. My wife is absolutely obsessed with Mitchell's, so note that this was one of probably 4 times during the week we had it : )

7/11: Today, we mostly stayed around Lake County, kind of a recovery day. Family lunch, followed by a hike thru Chapin Forest (probably my favorite area hike), seeing a movie, donuts and cider from Patterson's, stuff like that. Also, ran from Fairport to Downtown Painesville and back (cool to be only 3 miles from county seat when already in a somewhat historic/traditional city set up.. not an experience one finds too often in FL!

7/12: Today was probably our most significant day of Cleveland explorations. First stop was the Van Aken District (well, after the delicious Choolaah Indian BBQ for lunch). I had never been before and it is a really interesting and affluent TOD. I had not seen before, and think it is positive for that area, though I hope those businesses, like Shinola, etc, will be able to hang on there. After that, road thru Shaker (always a treat), and stopped at Larchmere District to check out the awesome book store and other stops on the main street there. From there, my 9 y/o nephew and idea (exposing him to love of the city early!) took either the Green or Blue line (don't remember which) from Shaker Square into Tower City. I was a little nervous based on rep of some of areas we were riding thru, but we were totally fine and I was impressed with how comfortable and quick the train operated. From there, we took the Healthline east from Tower City and got off at Levin College of Urban Affairs (my love for Cleveland has transcended into also being a full blown love/fascination for all things city and urban development related, and I know that is one of the best schools for that. Unfortunately, they don't have any online or distance/short/summer certification type programs, but I had to ask, and am still sort of looking! After that, we went to the West Side Market (if you're keeping track, all 3 of Cleveland's Great Places of America from the APA list, one of only 21 US cities to have 3 or more!!), then over to Whiskey Island for walk past the volleyball courts up to the Coast Guard Station (I had never been over there and wanted to see vantage points of city from there). Went to the Indians game in the evening... really, really let one slip there and honestly I think the guy in the 7th was out in first place, reviews got it wrong. At least I got my nephew a ball.

7/13: My birthday. So honestly, I'm type A enough that I wanted to try visiting somewhere different (like a half day drive and back to check out Columbus or Buffalo for a few hours, or like 5 hrs. on Buckeye Trail or something. But even though it was my bday, I wanted to be mindful of my family too so we stayed closer to home. Donuts from a local bakery, 3 hikes in the Metroparks, another trip for kayaking and swimming on the lake, and a date night with my wife in DT Willoughby including a flight at WBC which had a OBJ themed IPA (maybe a bit too early for that? lol).

7/14: Last full day. Ran the Johnnycake Jog, slower than I'd like, it was negative splits because it took me a few miles to put everything together (like, I was at 35 mins or so crossing 3 mile mark, because I felt tight to point I couldn't walk, but then still finished in like 50 mins). Spent time with immediate and extended family throughout afternoon, did one more hike (Chair Factory Falls), and swim in the evening.

7/15: Headed out on this day, mostly just catching up on work and school related stuff in morning, on way to airport though, hit Sokolowski's, the Canalway Visitor Center, ba Sweetie for candy for the road, and for the shoppers in family's sake, Great Northern Mall (I was impressed at how much selection was there actually, being an eastsider, never really heard too much about it).

Anyways, it's always good to be back home! It was humorous hearing everyone including weather people comment on how "hot" it is when realistically a typical summer day in FL has heat index at least 15-20 degrees or more hot even on the quote "hot" days. I really do think that the progression has been, a love for the urban design, architecture, etc. found in Cleveland, and finding this forum to discuss things like that has been a critical element in my eventual hope to leave teaching (at least at K-12 level), and find a career more in that direction after my doctoral work is complete, and this and various forums on here has directed me that way. I used to resent myself for spending so much time on here, and it still isn't so ideal, but now I'm starting to think it's for a reason and all just part of the process of whatever purpose/passion it is that I'm supposed to fill long term.

Next week, I visit one of Cleveland's sister cities (Lima, Peru), and then Cusco (including a tour to Sacred Valley, one day on Inca Trail, and of course, Machu Picchu). Definitely one at top of bucket list, but hey, while my wife and I are still childless, might as well! Anyways, best wishes to all the Clevelanders, from a proud Cleveland expat!
You went to the All-Star Game! I'm jealous lol . But, I went Downtown to Play Ball Park and man, that was fun. Just seeing people from different cities touching down in Cleveland and having a good time. And, I bet most people who had a bad perception of Cleveland left with a different point of view. I remember meeting a family from L.A. they were cool. I wanted to do the Zip Line too but it was too late.

CLE represented well and was an excellent host city for the MLB All-Star Game. I was listening to Chris Rose (a Cleveland native), of the MLB Network on 92.3 The Fan and he said that when cities like NYC or L.A. (where Chris Rose currently lives) host it; those people who live in those cities feel like it's an inconvenience to them while cities like Cleveland and Kansas City appreciate it and embrace the event more. And, I think Cleveland will definitely embrace the NFL Draft when it comes to town in 2021; same with the NBA All Star Game in 2022. Happy Belated Birthday.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:59 AM

5,029 posts, read 5,695,381 times
QCongress: My apologies! I actually did not go to the game itself either, that was a typo on my part. Tickets did drop to like 200$, but for that kind of money, I'd rather save it and drop for like a big playoff game at some point instead. Downtown really was hopping though! I completely agree, I heard a number of people commenting that it was the most well run all star game that has been put on in the past few years or so. I completely agree, and thanks for the birthday wishes. I definitely plan to be in Cleveland for whichever weekend the NFL draft happens to be on.

BJIMMY: It sounds really funny commenting this because Cleveland doesn't get these kind of accolades, but the comfortable sitting spaces, movement of train, the way it was separated from road and basically running elevated and surrounded by forest near downtown... it reminded me of when I visited Copenhagen a couple years ago. So, I guess that's two times I've said that (the elevated tunnel connection and some of the apartments near Edgewater Beach gave off that sort of design too), but I really believe that is the case. People don't give it enough credit, and I would be more willing to ride it again to or from downtown if I ever just base myself in city for a few cities in and around family time. I still haven't taken the Red Line west from Little Italy/UC to downtown, so that is on the list too at some point. Congrats on moving back to the city!

Old 07-17-2019, 03:12 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,150,507 times
The first thing I do each visit when I land is get a rail pass.

I dig it. No rental car- unless going on some day adventure stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland