Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:51 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
where do you live cle
At the moment? Scottsdale, Arizona. However very shortly I'll be returning to the Cleveland area, probably Shaker Heights.

If the schools were better, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase in the Roxboro, Canterbury, or Fairfax neighborhoods of Cleveland Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcinva View Post
It's one thing to want buzz and nightlife, but when you bring kids into the equation it's a different story. My husband and I are young professionals, and moving as soon as we finish various graduate/residency programs. Many of our colleagues have children, and are sorry that they chose to live closer to University Circle (Cle. Heights, etc.). Too much goes down around this area to warrant raising a family here, unless you don't have a choice because you already bought a home and can't sell.

Another poster noted that many kids here go to private school. As unfortunate as it is, that means exactly what you would expect in a diverse area with 33% living below the poverty line...many of the white kids are in private school, with more of the black kids in public school. My colleagues can't afford private school as this time in life, and so their kids are often the only white children at school, and are often picked on and bullied. I'm not saying it wouldn't be the same if it were one black kid with a bunch of white kids, (and maybe it is in the private schools) but it's something to consider, especially as this area continues to experience "white flight" - whatever race you are.

As a side note, I personally don't feel as if there is enough "buzz" in the Coventry area to warrant moving there for it, unless by buzz you mean college kids going there to eat at Tommy's and it's cleared out by 10pm. Word is that downtown/Ohio City is much more what you are looking for, but you are really asking for it if you move there. Sorry, I just think Cleveland has a long way to go before it can provide what you are looking for in a relatively safe environment for your kids.
Buyer beware, indeed. Anyone reading your posts should know that you're one of the Negative Nancies who is only a member of city-forum to bash Cleveland. Take what she says with a grain of salt.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
so when did you leave cleveland hts to go to arizona

Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
so when did you leave cleveland hts to go to arizona
I've been in the Valley since early last year.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 AM

61 posts, read 254,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Buyer beware, indeed. Anyone reading your posts should know that you're one of the Negative Nancies who is only a member of city-forum to bash Cleveland. Take what she says with a grain of salt.

It's only fair to let people know that not everyone lives in this fantasy where inner ring Cleveland suburbs are kind to everyone. Please, feel free to recommend people with kids live in Cleveland Heights...don't feel bad at all when they get knifed like my neighbor did at prom last year.

Scottsdale, huh? You certainly didn't choose a developing inner-ring suburb there.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:58 AM

43 posts, read 102,638 times
When we moved to Cleveland, we were charmed by the lovely archtecture in Cleveland Heights. We left due to the schools within one year. And the fact that a foster child was stalking my daughter and threatening to knife her. And the fact that my son's bike was stolen out of our yard within minutes of being purchased while he ran inside for a drink. And we were in one of the "good blocks."

Having said that, our friends from our neighborhood remain our good friends.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
It's only fair to let people know that not everyone lives in this fantasy where inner ring Cleveland suburbs are kind to everyone. Please, feel free to recommend people with kids live in Cleveland Heights...don't feel bad at all when they get knifed like my neighbor did at prom last year.

Scottsdale, huh? You certainly didn't choose a developing inner-ring suburb there.
lcinva, you've never had anything good to say about Cleveland at all, so I don't think I'm off-base in warning people about your attitude.

We live in a dangerous world where things can happen to anyone, anywhere. Cleveland Heights is a large, diverse city. There is no fantasy, bad things do happen. But for the most part, Cleveland Heights is safe. There is nothing wrong with choosing to live in the safer neighborhoods of Cleveland Heights. If you have kids, I wouldn't recommend the schools past the elementary level. But other than that, why trash it so venomously when no place is perfect?

Also, I didn't choose to live in Scottsdale and I hated it when I was out there. I lived there for free with my sister while I was getting to know the city and my job was nearby. It was a great deal for me but it got old pretty quickly.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphles View Post
When we moved to Cleveland, we were charmed by the lovely archtecture in Cleveland Heights. We left due to the schools within one year. And the fact that a foster child was stalking my daughter and threatening to knife her. And the fact that my son's bike was stolen out of our yard within minutes of being purchased while he ran inside for a drink. And we were in one of the "good blocks."

Having said that, our friends from our neighborhood remain our good friends.
Where did you live? Where do you live now? These things can and do happen everywhere. Get over it and stop blaming Cleveland Heights or any other locality.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM

61 posts, read 254,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
lcinva, you've never had anything good to say about Cleveland at all, so I don't think I'm off-base in warning people about your attitude.

We live in a dangerous world where things can happen to anyone, anywhere. Cleveland Heights is a large, diverse city. There is no fantasy, bad things do happen. But for the most part, Cleveland Heights is safe. There is nothing wrong with choosing to live in the safer neighborhoods of Cleveland Heights. If you have kids, I wouldn't recommend the schools past the elementary level. But other than that, why trash it so venomously when no place is perfect?

Also, I didn't choose to live in Scottsdale and I hated it when I was out there. I lived there for free with my sister while I was getting to know the city and my job was nearby. It was a great deal for me but it got old pretty quickly.

Honestly, I have no reason to falsely mislead people about moving here. It sounds as if you grew up here, or have roots here, and you are slightly defensive. I probably would be too about the area where I grew up. However, my husband and I are here in school, and in general we have had nothing but bad experiences with being robbed, treated poorly, etc., since we moved here. Those experiences, with ourselves and our colleagues in grad school, were most frequent in Cleveland Heights and dissipated as we moved further out.

Whereas you generally have nothing but GOOD to say about Cleveland (which is fine), I think it's fair that I share my experiences. I don't care whether people move here or not. However, as a person who has lived in quite a few metropolitan areas, it is only fair I can share my experiences and honest opinions about this one without being criticized, and I will do the same for you. You are correct in saying crime can happen in any locality; the problem is, it has only happened to me in Cleveland.

If ever you want to criticize the NYC, DC, Denver, or SLC areas, feel free, and I will hold my tongue.

As a final summary of my comments in regards to this post and the OP: I do not necessarily believe Cle. Hts. is the best fit for you, particularly with children. I would suggest looking elsewhere, based on my experiences.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 PM

Default Two Quick Thoughts

Quote:
Honestly, I have no reason to falsely mislead people about moving here. It sounds as if you grew up here, or have roots here, and you are slightly defensive. I probably would be too about the area where I grew up. However, my husband and I are here in school, and in general we have had nothing but bad experiences with being robbed, treated poorly, etc., since we moved here. Those experiences, with ourselves and our colleagues in grad school, were most frequent in Cleveland Heights and dissipated as we moved further out.

Whereas you generally have nothing but GOOD to say about Cleveland (which is fine), I think it's fair that I share my experiences. I don't care whether people move here or not. However, as a person who has lived in quite a few metropolitan areas, it is only fair I can share my experiences and honest opinions about this one without being criticized, and I will do the same for you. You are correct in saying crime can happen in any locality; the problem is, it has only happened to me in Cleveland.

If ever you want to criticize the NYC, DC, Denver, or SLC areas, feel free, and I will hold my tongue.

As a final summary of my comments in regards to this post and the OP: I do not necessarily believe Cle. Hts. is the best fit for you, particularly with children. I would suggest looking elsewhere, based on my experiences.
Anecdotal evidence gets us nowhere. Again I have to insist that it's unfair that you are extrapolating your bad experiences to the city as a whole. Cleveland Heights is, generally speaking, a safe suburb, especially for one located so closely to a bigger, more troubled city. Everything, the crime stats, the Cleveland Magazine ratings, backs up this statement. As long as the original poster isn't living in the sections in the north of the city, closer to East Cleveland, they'll be fine.

Additionally, Cleveland Heights has everything the original poster is looking for, including easy access to the best private schools in the Cleveland area. It truly boggles my mind that you're still so stubbornly recommending against it.

By the way, I did not grow in Cleveland Heights and I have no roots there. I simply think it's a fine city and unnecessarily gets a bad rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland