Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 02:36 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Please advise your thoughts on Cuyahoga heights elementary school / Cuhoga heights school system and the Garfield heights city neighborhood for living ( nice and peace neighborhood, raising family, close to shopping etc.,)
I know a teacher at Garfield middle school and I currently work in Garfield Heights. I would not recommend living in Garfield. The schools are lackluster and only getting worse. Crime continues to be an issue and again, is only getting worse. It might not be as bad as slavic village which neighbors it, but it is considerably worse than Cuyahoga Heights. The place visually looks alright in some places and there is a nice metro park. But also a lot of ugly fast food chains and surprising amounts of crime for a place that is pretty suburban. I thought about living here too but really couldnt find tons of positives after doing research and walking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 03:38 PM

35 posts, read 27,448 times
I can't speak for the Beachwood school system other than what I've read. Beachwood is an upscale community with a large percentage of Jewish kids so I would think the schools are very good. Because there are multiple businesses in the city property taxes are on the lower side for the County which is a big plus. The area is very comfortable and surrounded by other educated and wealthy people. There are still a lot of old money families and it is a very attractive location. The East side is just different than the West side. I think it is more cosmopolitan, more traveled and just seems to be comfortable in its own skin.

Having said that now that I've lived on both sides of town for many years I think its easier to live on the West side. Easier to get around, roads are mostly a grid and there seems to be less traffic. For the moment I think the West side has the momentum over the East side. Another way to think about it is the East side has the cultural institutions, the old money, more minority communities while the West side is filled with older middle class/working class and now new money communities. And don't forget...much less snow.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:22 PM

741 posts, read 1,737,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmen View Post
I can't speak for the Beachwood school system other than what I've read. Beachwood is an upscale community with a large percentage of Jewish kids so I would think the schools are very good. Because there are multiple businesses in the city property taxes are on the lower side for the County which is a big plus. The area is very comfortable and surrounded by other educated and wealthy people. There are still a lot of old money families and it is a very attractive location. The East side is just different than the West side. I think it is more cosmopolitan, more traveled and just seems to be comfortable in its own skin.

Having said that now that I've lived on both sides of town for many years I think its easier to live on the West side. Easier to get around, roads are mostly a grid and there seems to be less traffic. For the moment I think the West side has the momentum over the East side. Another way to think about it is the East side has the cultural institutions, the old money, more minority communities while the West side is filled with older middle class/working class and now new money communities. And don't forget...much less snow.
Thank you... how about finding a place to rent in Beach Wood vs Rocky River... Which would be better

Old 12-06-2019, 04:33 PM

I'd personally much rather live in Rocky River than Beachwood.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'd personally much rather live in Rocky River than Beachwood.
Why? Solid reasons will help me convince my spouse...

Old 12-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Why? Solid reasons will help me convince my spouse...
Imo beachwood is a very bland and boring place. Office parks, chain stores, a mall, big parking lots. It's not walkable. Everything good about beachwood (like schools for example) is also the same in river. Rocky River has a lot more going on and is close to the lake and a fantastic metropark, as well as everything in Lakewood. To me it just isnt close, unless you were working in Beachwood.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:05 PM

When I spoke to Rocky River Goldwood Primary school, they mentioned for Kindergarten in this current year,
they dont have the regular full day schedule and that would mean my son can attend only the morning session (9 am to 11.50 am). So, my wife and I are not
interested in that option. My wide and I are not keen with the private school options too...

That leaves with four options :
  • Campus International and residing close to downtown
  • Westlake
  • Solon and
  • Beachwood

My wife and I need to decide on the school/neighborhood to reside among the above four options soon..

Please advise on the Westlake and Solon as an option compared to Rocky River and Beachwood with respect to schools, commute to downtown, renting, close to shopping and nice/peaceful neighborhood perspective?

Also if we decide to go with Campus International, please suggest on nice and peaceful neighborhood near downtown/Cleveland city to reside and raise the family...

Last edited by spalam01; 12-06-2019 at 10:19 PM..

Old 12-07-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I know a teacher at Garfield middle school and I currently work in Garfield Heights. I would not recommend living in Garfield. The schools are lackluster and only getting worse. Crime continues to be an issue and again, is only getting worse. It might not be as bad as slavic village which neighbors it, but it is considerably worse than Cuyahoga Heights. The place visually looks alright in some places and there is a nice metro park. But also a lot of ugly fast food chains and surprising amounts of crime for a place that is pretty suburban. I thought about living here too but really couldnt find tons of positives after doing research and walking around.
How is the city of Independence from ... Commute to downtown seems attractive and the school ratings also look good... Just curious how is the neighborhood to raise family and also close to shopping etc.,

Old 12-07-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
How is the city of Independence from ... Commute to downtown seems attractive and the school ratings also look good... Just curious how is the neighborhood to raise family and also close to shopping etc.,
I'm not big on Independence either. Quite an unwalkable place, try walking down the commercial stretch of rockside, you'll probably be the only pedestrian while 6 lanes of traffic roar next to you on one side with a sea of parking on the other and inconsistent sidewalks. Terrible. Brecksville is much preferable to me, just to the south. There really arent many suburbs I'd enjoy living in ti be honest though, so keep my bias in mind. The suburbs with character and personality are rocky river, lakewood, Cleveland heights university heights, shaker heights, chagrin falls, berea, Willoughby, maybe a couple others imo.

In the city of Cleveland, I live at playhouse square. Love it here. Would be great for your commute and proximity to campus international. I'm not sure you could find a place in the budget, but it's worth looking I think. My 1 bedroom cost a lot less than I thought it would. But that's apartments, not single family houses. Look at Old Brooklyn too. Especially the South Hills area. Cedar Fairmount area of Cleveland Heights would be good too.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:55 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times
Do you plan to drive everyday and pay for parking or to use mass transit? This is an important question that I believe you've never answered.

<<Child fares apply to children age 6-12, when accompanied by a fare-paying adult. Children under age 6 ride free. In either case, a limit of three children per fare-paying adult applies.>>

Fares | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

If you live downtown, does Cleveland bus kids to the campus international school or do you have to drop them off? You likely will have to pay for each parking space if you live downtown.

I used to have a boss who commuted many days from Westlake to downtown, but he loved to read on the bus. What about you? Definitely check Google transit from each city, or prospective downtown residences, under consideration to your work address. Mass transit commutes from Westlake to Playhouse Square appear to be about 75 minutes each way.

Are you no longer worried about autism special education? Have you checked what services are offered at the campus international school? A very important consideration is whether the campus international school has open enrollment. If not, where would your child go to school if admission to campus international school isn't possible.

If you choose Solon, you'll have the greatest exposure to snow and bad driving conditions among your choices. I also have found local roads in Solon very congested during rush hours. It would NOT be a top choice of mine for COMMUTING DOWNTOWN; otherwise, it's a great choice. One of your original criteria was a short commute. That's obviously not Solon.

With a young child, proximity to a playground, especially one within walking distance, would be a concern.

Once you've picked a couple cities, local real estate agents may be able to help you with rental options.

Have you checked Mentor??? Again, it would be a city I would want to consider if I had a young child and was commuting downtown given its amenities, if it meets your schooling requirements. E.g., check the city's playgrounds. Definitely visit Lake Metroparks Farmpark, Holden Arboretum and Mentor Headlands Beach State Park (even in winter) and ask yourself where your child would be most engaged. Check out children's explorer kits at Holden Arboretum and Metroparks Penitentiary Glen Reservation. All of these attractions are close by Mentor. Check out the Mentor Recreation Department, which offers programs and facilities at least the equal of most Cleveland suburbs. Check out the Central YMCA, one of the best that I've ever seen, which serves Mentor. Mentor's retail options top any suburb, although upscale retail options are better in the Beachwood area. Mentor is a solidly middle class community.

https://money.cnn.com/magazines/mone...PL3949056.html

If you want to stay in Cleveland, check the Kamm's Corner area. My understanding is that the elementary schools there are very good even though in the Cleveland school district; I haven't checked them out. Proximity to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation, and Edgewater Park, would offer excellent adventure amenities for a child.

Check out the nature centers at both Rocky River Reservation and Lake Metroparks Penitentiary Glen Reservation. The latter also offers miniature train rides through the woods.

Keep in mind you're only planning to rent for one year.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland